Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I overreacting?

dp

Advertisement

Last edited by Whits01; 07-20-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Whits01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She suggested that weekend, since she'll be here.

The wedding is in Memphis, and they'd be a little more crunched for time on Monday, since they're staying in Memphis overnight and would have to drive to Clarksville in the morning, then to Nashville afterwards for the flight.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I do think you are overreacting.

If the wedding is the purpose of their flight, then it's priority #1. If you're piggybacking on it, then you can decide to have it Friday or Monday, but if they cannot attend Monday, I wouldn't be upset at them.

They may already have other plans. They've stated that the only time that works for them is Friday.

I don't fully understand God-parents, though. My sister became our backup guardian in case of us dying through a text message while we were writing our wills. I think God parents aren't the ones who get the baby in that case? Which means I don't understand the difference between being a godparent and an aunt, but either way, it doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal.

I'm sorry you're having to stress over it, anyways.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a friend in Clarksville!! I hear it's like BFE... LOL

But I think since you're planning it around them coming there for this wedding you should do it when it's best for them.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would just do the baptism whenever you want and if they cant make it then too bad.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 17, Seth 10, Pandora Moonlilly 6 and Nevermore Stargazer 3, married to my awesome sahd artist husband of 7 years
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My bet is that they are planning on drinking Sunday night at the wedding, and don't want to get up early Monday to do the baptism early enough to make their flight. They may be hungover, and are too polite to say..."We don't want to be hungover at your kid's baptism."

I can completely appreciate that. They paid a lot of money to fly across the country and want to enjoy themselves at the reception.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I don't understand the difference between being a godparent and an aunt, but either way, it doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal.

I'm sorry you're having to stress over it, anyways.
I was thinking they were probably their spiritual godparents, and that might be why it's a big deal to have them attend the baptism. Depending on the religion exactly in the ceremony the baby is usually brought in by the godparents and then either set down on a pillow (or something to that affect) baptized (?) then handed to the parents after. or the godparents hand them to the parents for the baptism.

I could be confusing religious rituals though?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
However, I am confused why you aren't doing it on Sunday during services? Every baptism I've ever been to is on Sunday morning during the church service.
That would be ideal, but we're accommodating them by not having it on Sunday, since they plan to be in Memphis from Friday night through Sunday night.

They have considered, since the wedding's Saturday morning, and the reception is Sunday night, coming back up here after the wedding Saturday and going back to Memphis Sunday afternoon.

Yeah - we're Catholic, so it's more spiritual than legal godparents. And the godparents have to be Catholic, which none of his family is, and she's my only sibling.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
I have a friend in Clarksville!! I hear it's like BFE... LOL
It's not that bad. haha
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Honestly, if the wedding was planned first, and she is asking for Friday, I'd do Friday.

However, I am confused why you aren't doing it on Sunday during services? Every baptism I've ever been to is on Sunday morning during the church service.
Catholics dont do them during services, at least not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whits01 View Post
That would be ideal, but we're accommodating them by not having it on Sunday, since they plan to be in Memphis from Friday night through Sunday night.

They have considered, since the wedding's Saturday morning, and the reception is Sunday night, coming back up here after the wedding Saturday and going back to Memphis Sunday afternoon.

Yeah - we're Catholic, so it's more spiritual than legal godparents. And the godparents have to be Catholic, which none of his family is, and she's my only sibling.
Check on that. Alot of churches are relaxing that rule. We didnt have to follow it here, and we are Catholic.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote