Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Problem with DDs ears

For the last couple weeks DD has been complaining that her ears hurt. I took her into the dr and she had a very minor ear infection. We elected NOT to treat with abx and it cleared up on its own.

Problem is the pain is still there. They hurt to touch, they hurt to lay on, it hurts to chew. I took her back to the dr today and her ears are completely clear, the dr did as good an exam as she could (DD won't let anyone touch them) today and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. They're not hot to the touch or off-colored. The dr checked very closely for swimmers ear (we've been at the pool a LOT) but she could see no fluid at all.

We've been using ear dry and Hylands pain drops (per dr and pharmacist recommendation) but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

I do not know what else I can do for her...They offered a referral to an ENT but the soonest avaliable appt is not until early September...

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Problem with DDs ears

I'd call the ENT & explain that your child is in pain & ask to be put on the cancellation list.

Also, can you do warm rice packs? That always makes my ears feel better when I have an ear ache.

Also, I think it is alcohol and apple cider vinegar mixed equal parts & then add 2-3 drops per ear to help clear out any moisture/wax. <--google that to make sure

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We can't do the oncall list...they never give enough time, it's over an hour and a half there in light traffic...

We don't have rice packs...I'll look for some, I dunno if she'll let anything rest on her ear...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 07-20-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just had a similar issue. DD1 10yo had terrible ear pain and was asking to see the doctor. I thought for sure she would at least have swimmers ear if not an actual infection. The doctor assured us that there was no infection at all but did mention the the glands there behind her ear were swollen and that is where the pain was coming from. Could it be something like that?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure...could be. The doctor felt behind her ears and didn't say anything but who knows. I'm going to call a different clinic here in town on Monday and get a 2nd opinion if she's still in pain, I'll bring that up then.

I'll also call the ENT and have them put in their file we live 70 miles from their office so they need to take that into consideration when they call with an emergency opening LOL...we tried this with our dentist (we get Title 19) because DS1 had tooth pain and they called at 10:30 and asked if we could be there at 11:45....uh, no...I don't intend to go 10 over the speed limit to get 60 miles in just over an hour (yes, I realize 60mph, but only 45 miles of that is highway the other 15 miles is packed town traffic that takes FOREVER to get through no matter what time of day)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Grrrr, the pa we saw is an idiot. She has WRETCHED swimmers ear. On abx and no going in water for a week. She will have to drop out of swim class half way through..so annoying!!! I'm calling on Monday to complain about the PA we saw...
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

so sorry. at least now you know and she can get to feeling better

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
Grrrr, the pa we saw is an idiot. She has WRETCHED swimmers ear. On abx and no going in water for a week. She will have to drop out of swim class half way through..so annoying!!! I'm calling on Monday to complain about the PA we saw...
Poor thing!

Did the PA tug on her ear lobe or push on it? That is part of the "swimmers ear" test.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

when i went to girl scout camp, they wouldnt let us leave the pool without drops- it was a 50-50 mix of alcohol and vinegar, and they used those red ketchup squirt bottles to put it in.... i get terrible ear infections and swimmers ear, but i never got it at camp

glad they got it figured out though

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm trying to figure out what to do with lessons...

She is in Level 4, she should have stayed in 3 but she had a bad teacher that passed her when she shouldn't have. BUT I talked to her new teacher (who I LOVE he's one of the best) said his whole class is 3.5 not true level 4 so it's ok. The summer sessions are 2-wks long, 4 days a wk. Supposed to finish this wk. If I pull her out I will have to put her in level 3 next session (not till Sept) and hope for the best...or I can hold her out Monday and hope that 3 days of rest and abx is enough. I think her current teacher can get her up to true level 4 if given the chance, he's a wonderful teacher...if I start level 3 again in Sept then I may get a crappy teacher...ugh...

Sent from my free iPod touch that I cannot figure out