Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Former NICU baby still won't latch

I also believe you should do what is best for your family situation in terms of giving formula or not. Although I am a B****** advocate, let's face it- there are so many of us who were fed formula when we were babes and we are still living to this day! You're clearly trying your best with minimal help around the house and two babies demanding food- don't feel guilty if you have to turn to formula for your own sanity I hope that there are other military mommas who can help you. I'm sure they would be able to sympathize with your situation- you are not alone!

Advertisement

strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

i dont have much advice for you other than dd had a traumatic birth and she was fed by ng tube but when she actually did start to eat by mouth it was the bottle and she did that chomping motion like you mentioned, limited tongue and lip movement. Does your ds have any liquid loss when he is drinking his bottle? My dd had therapy with a speech therapist from birth. She used a gloved finger to do different exercises in her mouth to increase awareness and strength. Maybe your little guy would benefit from an eval with early intervention if you arent recieving services already.

I cant imagine doing that with twins. I nearly drove myself crazy EPing a singleton and only lasted 10 weeks! I had onlyb afew oz a day with meds so i felt like what i was doing was really worthless sijce she was getting mostly formula anyway. But the hard work that you are putting in to nourish you babies DOES have worth. Even if you stopped pumping and bfing today you have given your sons a great start at life. Every oz you feed is one oz that is not formula. While i dont think formula is the devil by any means, from reading your other posts i do know that YOU know the importance of BFing. I dont say that to make you feel guilty aboit the formula but encourage you that even if it is very hard, it has a tremendous value and thus you and the effor you are putting in have great value.

That being said, an unhealthy mama is no good to her babies so if you feel you are reaching the end of your rope please get that formula and feed your babies happily before you reach a point that it will be hard to recover from.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My ds seems likely to have had a minor stroke before or during labor. Although his mri was clean to they can't "diagnose" it he has one sided weakness, etc. that point to that. He is among other things oral motor delayed. He had a tongue tie and after it was clipped just couldn't figure out how to use his tongue to suck properly to withdraw milk. So he did the biting thing and got basically no milk from the breast, but he could from a bottle. Anyway, I pumped for him until he learned to suck right at two months old. We did suck training exercises ourself with him and finally took him to a breastfeeding medicine dr but wish we would have seen a ST or other professional sooner (we did see every LC in town basically and didn't help) . But, he DID learn eventually and then actually refused bottles from that point on. He is still nursing now at 17months.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I don't have much nursing advice because I practically exclusively pumped for DD as I worked full time and had to sleep through many night feedings (DH bottle fed).

But I am a military momma and I wanted to offer you some encouragement. I don't know what branch you are associated with (we're Navy), but please look for some support among your military community. A Family Readiness Group, an Ombudsman, the moms on your street (if you live on base), even the local LLL. You've got to get some help with the twins! And I pray that your DH has a good and quick deployment and gets to come home soon to his new expanded family!!!
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
waitingforbaby
Registered Users

You are a success!!!

Learning to breastfeed one baby was hard enough. But a month into it, she got really good at sucking and it got so much easier. My good friend's baby took only bottles until he was fifty days old, and then he was finally able to latch on.

Whether you give formula or not, you have done an awesome job. You go!
waitingforbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the encouragement, girls. It really means a lot.
I'm truckin' on. I can do this.
My out-of-state cousin is a lactation consultant/doula/childbirth educator who is recently out of work, so I'm considering flying her up to visit for a week or two so she can help - and get this kid to eat straight from the tap.

This too shall pass.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaLoves

Thanks for all the encouragement, girls. It really means a lot.
I'm truckin' on. I can do this.
My out-of-state cousin is a lactation consultant/doula/childbirth educator who is recently out of work, so I'm considering flying her up to visit for a week or two so she can help - and get this kid to eat straight from the tap.

This too shall pass.
That is an awesome plan!

You are such an inspiration Katrina!!

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 07-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Katrina how are things going? I was just thinking of you and your little ones!

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 07-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #20
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bun nursed yesterday, and actually got a fair amount! It was an excruciatingly shallow latch and he did a lot of biting (OUCH), but he was effectively-ish removing milk. Tried again a few hours later, and nada.
One of these days it's going to click. I hope.
Frankly, I'm close to giving up. Not with providing him/them milk, but with actually breastfeeding. I might just be an EPer until they're old enough to wean. If so, then such is life.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote