Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
gsxr_mama
Registered Users

Soy formula vs. goat milk

I am a mother of an 8 month old baby who is allergic to Cow milk protein.

Recently, the pediatrician told me I could begin transitioning him to soy and that there was no way of know whether or not he would react until we tried.

We have been giving him 1/3 soy and 2/3 alimentum for a week and he is ok.

I am wondering if I am doing the right thing. I figure he only needs formula for 3.5 more months. Should I just transition him to goat milk instead and see how he tolerates that.

In some ways I am really concerned about soy and all the negative things I read about it.

Would you put your baby on soy? What would you make about all the negtive things we read about soy formula?

Advertisement

gsxr_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Soy formula vs. goat milk

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...lers/goat-milk

Maybe this will help you to decide if this is an option for you. (You may also want to check on the availability of it in your area.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
gsxr_mama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...lers/goat-milk

Maybe this will help you to decide if this is an option for you. (You may also want to check on the availability of it in your area.)
Thank you I just read it, it gives me a lot of good information. I am still not sure what to do. I am going to keep him 1/3 soy and 2/3 alimentum until I decide how to proceed.
gsxr_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think either way (soy or goat) you should stick with formula. "Regular" formula isn't just dried cow's milk - it's processed and fortified.

3.5 months is a long time when you're a baby - lots of developing and growing still happening.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can check out the formula recipe on the WAPF website and adjust it to goat milk instead of cows milk. I'd personally rather do goat milk than soy. Unfermented soy acts really differently in the body than an animal product like cow, goat, or human milk. It messes with the hormonal balance in the body and also affects the thyroid.
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...-baby-formula/
Old 07-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

Formula. We did a mix of formula and bounced around with formulas but absolutely stick with formula for a minimum of 12 months, if not longer as you cannot compare the nutritional value of formula to milk. Till at least 12 months (I prefer two) they need that extra nutritional value.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs
Till at least 12 months (I prefer two) they need that extra nutritional value.
I agree with you on the timeline - I think it's more in line with the WHO breastfeeding recommendations. There has to be a reason that they recommend BF'ing for that long.

Sent from my DROID2 using DS Forum
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I make goats milk formula for my baby...she was on nutramigin (she's allergic to soy also and corn) the only thing that really worked for us was homemade goat milk formula...I would not just give it to her straight up though....I definitly think they need the extra vitamins and calories etc
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
I agree with you on the timeline - I think it's more in line with the WHO breastfeeding recommendations. There has to be a reason that they recommend BF'ing for that long.

Sent from my DROID2 using DS Forum
Can you call and tell our ped. that as she thinks my son should be off formula but he disagrees. (she just mentioned it as we are finally where we need to be but didn't give me a hard time) Pre-mom days, I would have gone with the 12 month guideline but I don't think from 12-24 months or even till 3-4, kids eat (most, obviously some do but not mine) a well balanced meal given their constant growth. We decided to go with 24 months (now later) based off of the WHO recommendation who recommends breast or formula feeding for 24 months when we researched it. Also, talking to friends in other countries without our access to milk, many use a powder formula till 3-4-5 as when I talked to them to try to figure it all out, I was amazed at the diversity and helpful suggestions.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
foundrychick
Registered Users

My Mood:

My ped said goat milk was the original formula since it's the closest in make up to human milk. Since I give supplement Poly-vi-sol with iron while breastfeeding, I would consider asking pediatrician if vitamin supplement with iron in addition to the goat milk would work. I am allergic to cow milk proteins, so I started adding in goat milk and goat yogurt into meals for my 8 month old...
foundrychick is offline   Reply With Quote