Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #21
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: "I'm just not going there"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umm_Ibraheem View Post
Anyway after she made the "don't even" comment her sister jumped in about GROSS you wash your clothes in the SAME machine afterward? Poop and pee and THEN you wash you clothes? How do you know they are even clean?! My clothes MUST be clean.
Umm... it's a washing machine. It's self cleaning. Like a dishwasher. You put nasty old gross food covered dishes in the dishwasher, and then when they're done you eat off of them! Gasp!

Though I will say that I spray the heck out of poo diapers before I put them in the wash. Nobody wants turds floating around in their washer.

What grosses me out is when people put a blowout poopy onesie or a pair of poopy accident toddler undies in the wash with their regular clothes. I know it all gets clean in the wash, but it still skeeves me out. I would much rather put all poop and pee related garments together to wash, so I can throw all of that in with my diapers.

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
kalibratx4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
Umm... it's a washing machine. It's self cleaning. Like a dishwasher. You put nasty old gross food covered dishes in the dishwasher, and then when they're done you eat off of them! Gasp!

Though I will say that I spray the heck out of poo diapers before I put them in the wash. Nobody wants turds floating around in their washer.

What grosses me out is when people put a blowout poopy onesie or a pair of poopy accident toddler undies in the wash with their regular clothes. I know it all gets clean in the wash, but it still skeeves me out. I would much rather put all poop and pee related garments together to wash, so I can throw all of that in with my diapers.

ughhhh and who hasn't washed puke blankets or towels.... you have to wash clothes after that. some people will just never get it.
kalibratx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umm_Ibraheem View Post
I started cloth diapering as a FTM but my main concern was keeping my baby as chemical free as possible. I had A LOT of blow outs regardless of cloth or disposables but haven't experienced those issues with DD (my 2nd child). Maybe it was my inexperience in diapering or just different kids different outputs type of thing.

I was the only cloth diapering mom in my group and also the youngest (23 at the time) so I received A LOT of criticism and put downs. Recently (almost 4 years into my cloth diapering addiction) one of my distant in laws (mama of 5 and close to DH) did a diaper run close to 10pm (store closes at 10) and she made a comment that was directed at me (I can't remember what it was). I responded, when I run out of diapers I just put a load in the wash. She said, "don't even start with that"

Don't take jabs at me if you can't receive them back.

This is the lady who made fun of my choice to cloth and afterward became chummy and wanted to know if she could buy cloth in bjs. I told her I didn't kow but directed her to where she could get some and even offered a portion of my stash and she refused so I'm assuming it was just small talk that didn't mean anything. Anyway after she made the "don't even" comment her sister jumped in about GROSS you wash your clothes in the SAME machine afterward? Poop and pee and THEN you wash you clothes? How do you know they are even clean?! My clothes MUST be clean.

ITS A WASHING MACHINE, you can do all kinds of loads, sanitize, disinfect, it has its own water heater so the water is BOILING hot etc. Things you cannot do in the laundromat! I much prefer washing my clothes immediately after a diaper load then to put my clothes in a public facility. My mom wouldn't let us wash our underwear in those machines because she said EVERYONE uses them and you have no idea what people use or how gross they can be. So we had to handwash all our underwear but we did use the machines for our outer clothes.

That's the last time I saw or spoke to her (4-5 weeks ago) I'm staying away because clearly after almost 6 years of marriage and trying to be friends we just don't mesh well. Early in my marriage and first pregnancy she tried to take over, telling me what I should or should not do. How DARE I consider homebirth as it was abuse and I would never forgive myself if my child dies. How DARE I babywear as its harmful to the baby. blah. blah. blah. I would always end up in tears after her visits until my DH put a stop to them. He said as a first time expectant mother who wanted to homebirth I needed to stay away from ppl who would mess with my confidence even if they may be his dear close family members. When my DS was born she again was in my biz and parenting style (I was more attachment parenting and she was something else) and my DH again pulled me away from that part of the family until they could respect my parenting choices. Frankly I think she just hates my guts and I either make her feel inadequate or as a veteran mom, doesn't like her advices rejected. I'm cool with it as it was draining to keep extending my friendship to her and I was only doing it because my DH loves her very much and after all its his family.

sorry for the long sidetrack.
how could anyone possibly say anything bad about baby wearing? That is just so odd.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #24
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
I usually just sort of shrug and laugh and say something like, "Yeah I thought it might be tough to deal with when I started, but it's not rocket science. I'm pretty sure a monkey could do it."

That way I'm not saying that I'm better/smarter for using cloth, just that it's easy and they are making too big of a deal out of it. ETA: If they want to use sposies that's fine, I don't really care, but the amount of poop their baby produces will be the same no matter what diaper the baby is wearing.
This is what I'm going to say next time someone says gross, or so much work...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
Ladyflower
Registered Users

My response it just to laugh. When I told my boss and co-workers that I was going to CD ds #2 the older ladies were like "good for you!" But, my co-worker who is my age, childless, and unmarried blurted out "what will you do with the poop!?!?" I had to laugh! Even in a disposable you have to deal with poop! After my giggle I just proceeded to say "I have a toilet sprayer so I will spray the poop into the toilet." Actually, my boss and one of the older ladies I work with were quite impressed with the diapers I brought in to show them. Much different than the prefolds and covers they used with their kiddos!
Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

People are silly. I mean, come on. If you have a baby, you WILL be dealing with poop...period.

As far as washing poopy diapers in the machine. I've never had my clothing come out smelling like poop OR having any kind of poop on it. Not saying there's no microscopic stuff, but nothing I've ever said, "Ewww" to.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I try, try, try not to bring up the whole - you should wash poop out of disposables - thing. But when I'm asked, I like to point out that we don't deal with stinky garbage or running poop filled plastic bags out to the trash in the middle of winter, etc. Just plop it in the toilet and it's gone. Minimal stink, no chain of poopy diapers, no wafting odor from the garbage cans, inside or out.

As far as "handling poop" I feel like before we hit the rabbit turd stage that sometimes I had to really get down and dirty spraying it out over the toilet. I don't tell people about that part. LOL

I also know when I was a newbie that I fumbled a lot with cloth. Lots of leaking and trial and error. But we got there. I think that's something that should be pointed out to a newbie - there IS a learning curve no matter how you slice it.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by editrix View Post
I would suggest they look into a diaper service if they don't want to do washing but still feel bad about throwing away all that plastic.

As a FTM that was my gateway drug into cloth diapering. It was also what shut people up when they started to rag on me about how awful it would be to cloth diaper and how I would regret it and quit in a week. Now I can tell them that I've tried diapering with sposies, with a cloth service and now cloth on my own, and very much prefer cloth on my own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by editrix View Post
I don't know what to say in those situations either. One time at baby yoga, all the moms were talking about diapers and comparing the brands and one said "huggies leak because they're just like cloth." I didn't want to say that I didn't have any of these leaks or blowouts they were talking about because I used cloth, because they all know I used cloth diapers on DD and I didn't want to seem preachy or condescending, you know? Because sometimes people take it that way even if you don't mean it at all like that!
Yeah I have this same problem. I don't want to be preachy, but I love my cloth and have a hard time biting my tongue. I had to bite my tongue hard the other day when a friend was bragging about her pampers. We were out together and I change my babe every 2 hours when he's in prefolds. After changing him twice I noticed she hadn't changed her 9 month old at all, and I asked if she wanted to stop somewhere.
"Oh no, these diapers are awesome, they can hold like a pound of pee!"
Then when she did change her kiddo his whole bum was bright red. To me a baby's bum should look like the rest of his body (e.g. not red and inflamed!) if at all possible. Just had to keep my mouth zipped.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #29
emconigs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
Oh i know! I don't really advertise i use cloth but if someone happens to see a diaper and wants info or wants to talk about it good, but i've been so irritated in the past by ignorant comments about cloth too! I wish i lived in a more cloth friendly area, or knew some IRL moms who used cloth!

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum
I see you are in Wisconsin. I know lots of cloth diaper moms in Milwaukee. PM if you are interested and I can put you in touch.
emconigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
YOU WILL BE DEALING WITH POOP!!!!!! and in sposies you may dealing with it in the clothes, the bed, the carseat, their hair lol
This is ALWAYS my comeback lol!

Last edited by amb2j; 07-23-2012 at 12:00 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote