Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Canadian Mamas! Best Prefold in Canada?

I'm going to add a dozen prefolds to our stash for this new baby, but don't know what's best around here. The rest of our prefolds/fitteds are GMDs that my aunt brought up for me but she doesn't visit often. I should have just added some orange edge but I waffled for too long!

Brokerage/shipping from the US makes that option too expensive.

Bummis seem to be everywhere... How is the quality? Absorbency? Fit/sizing compared to the GMD?

Is a newborn Bummis Prefold a lot smaller than a GMD orange edge? We only have yellow edge right now so newborn is fine but not if it's preemie tiny or lacks stretch.

What other brands are available without shipping from the states?

Advertisement

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
editrix
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Canadian Mamas! Best Prefold in Canada?

I would suggest Bummis or Rearz. can't offer you info on sizes/comparisons with other brands, but I've used both on DD and really liked them. It seems as though Rearz may be getting out of the prefold business judging by their website, but if you can get your hands on some, definitely get them!
editrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
myk
Registered Users

My Mood:

i LOVE my bummis prefolds. very absorbent. can't compare them to GMD though, i've never had them.
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Bummis prefolds are awesome but their sizing isn't. The newborn/preemie size wouldn't even snappi on my 8 pound baby and there is no way it would ever be absorbant enough. I can see thme working on a 5 or 6 pound baby.....maybe.They do make great doublers though. The infant prefolds are good but are bulky/big on a small baby, it took until about 10 pounds before I really liked the fit. Then when they outgrow infants, the premiums are way too big. When they fit, they are awesome, so quilty, soft and absorbant......mine have been in use for years.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

I don't know what brand they are but I ordered them from Caterpillarbaby. The ones with the purple edge (smallest I think) just fit my big baby for a little while and now we use the red edged infant size ones most of the time. To me they are comparable to a padfolded flat. I wasn't particularly crazy about Bummis prefolds but we only had the newborn sized ones and they were too small and thin. I have one Econobum prefold that I love too!
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, the newborn ones are much smaller and much thinner then the infant and premium size.

I just checked out caterpillarbaby and it looks like her infant prefolds are the same size as bummis infant prefolds. If you check out babybellhop she has sweet pea prefolds that I've heard good things about and their sizing looks good too.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
quinnNjesse
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs View Post
Yes, the newborn ones are much smaller and much thinner then the infant and premium size.

I just checked out caterpillarbaby and it looks like her infant prefolds are the same size as bummis infant prefolds. If you check out babybellhop she has sweet pea prefolds that I've heard good things about and their sizing looks good too.
I ordered the sweet pea prefolds after determining that they are the same size or very similar to GMD orange.

I can't vouch for how well they work as I'm still pregnant.
quinnNjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
jthibodeau
Registered Users

I have the prefolds from Caterpillar Baby, and the sizing is basically the same as Bummis.
jthibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had bought is from mom's milk boutique in the states. There was free shipping (I haven't bought diapers in awhile so I don't know if they still offer that) and most of my shipments from them I got away without duty.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
vivid
Registered Users
seller

The shipping from Nicki's Diapers isn't too expensive! Still works out to less than the Bummis prefolds. I haven't tried their prefolds yet, but I am thinking of ordering some Imagine flats.
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote