Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Looking for mom's of vegetarian toddlers- advice?

OK- so my ds is a vegetarian by choice. I don't eat beef or pork but do eat fish and chicken. I offer both to my 2 yo but he has never liked them and doesn't eat them.

My question has to do with his bowel movements. His bm's have always been loose- not diarrhea loose- just looser than most other toddler poo I have seen in all my days of child care. No form to it really at all. I have just kept on waiting for it to start looking more "normal" as he got older and it hasn't. So- my question is this- Do you think it has to do with his diet being centered mostly on fruits and vegetables and whole grains? He does eat beans and cheese and yogurt, too. Anyone have experience with this in their own kids?

My daycare provider is worried about potty training with him (and he is really ready!) because of his loose bm's and the messy factor. She suggested that he start eating her food program and that maybe a change in diet would firm up his poo (what she means by that is the addition of things like Spiderman cereal, white bread and meat and elimination of things like veggie burgers, whole grain bread and such.)

I am more inclined to think that he has some kind of digestive problem due to a certain type of food aggravating his system (allergy?)

Does anyone have any kind of input or advice that could help? (Besides getting a new daycare provider- which I am working on!)
Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Periwinkle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Looking for mom's of vegetarian toddlers- advice?

He sounds like a totally normal vegetarian to me. You should be glad he isn't constipated! That would be something to worry about.
Periwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do feel like that is just what is normal for him and there is nothing wrong with it. But he does sometimes get really BAD diaper rashes and often has undigested stuff in there. I did mention the situation to my naturopath once though and she seemed to think it wasn't quite right. I know if I mentioned it again she would probably want to go the route of eliminating things to check for allergy which I am not completely against but which would be very difficult right now with my current DCP as well as DH who would disregard it all as hogwash.

Whatever- I am just looking for others with veg kiddos who can share experience- either like or unlike mine.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It might be an allergy...Loose stools are a symptom, although I would think there would be other signs too...tummy hurts, vomitting, rash etc...

We're vegetarians too...DD is 2.5. Her poops can vary. At the mo' they're softer than usual, but not messy at all...sometimes they're hard as a rock and sometimes they are messy...

It sounds like he's on quite a high fibre diet, so he's digesting his food really well...It's not diarhea and he's not constipated, so anywhere in between should be fine...
...I wouldn't worry.
...'If it aint broke don't fix it'

Your day care provider shouldn't adjust your child's diet if he is perfectly healthy just b/c it is inconvenient for her or grosses her out...KWIM?
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
Susannah M
Registered Users

My Mood:

my almost 18 mo DS is vegetarian because our family is. he has pretty loose stool too and nearly always undigested food in his diaper.
Susannah M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both of my kids are vegetarians by choice as well, unless you consider McDonald's nuggets once a week "meat". Anyway, their stools are pretty normal, so I don't know that it would be from diet.
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2usa View Post
It might be an allergy...Loose stools are a symptom, although I would think there would be other signs too...tummy hurts, vomitting, rash etc...

We're vegetarians too...DD is 2.5. Her poops can vary. At the mo' they're softer than usual, but not messy at all...sometimes they're hard as a rock and sometimes they are messy...

It sounds like he's on quite a high fibre diet, so he's digesting his food really well...It's not diarhea and he's not constipated, so anywhere in between should be fine...
...I wouldn't worry.

Your day care provider shouldn't adjust your child's diet if he is perfectly healthy just b/c it is inconvenient for her or grosses her out...KWIM?

I couldn't post any better.

DD is the exact same. Her BM's run the range too but rarely are HARD only sometimes. But not messy runny either.

I am also like you OP basically only eat Chicken meat wise otherwise all veggie here.

DD won't eat ANY meat but EVERY veggie imaginable.

I wouldn't worry but if you are I would go see and allergist and see what they have to say maybe.

But he seems normal to me.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
KatiesMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2who View Post
the addition of things like Spiderman cereal, white bread and meat and elimination of things like veggie burgers, whole grain bread and such.)
No advice, but I laughed out loud when I read this. I can't imagine Spiderman cereal being better than veggie burgers taste wise or nutritionally.

Spiderman cereal. Still giggling...
Old 05-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2usa View Post

...I wouldn't worry.

yeah- what she said.
My DD is almost 2 and her poop ranges from very hard to very very loose. She doesn't eat any animal meat at all (no beef, poultry, seafood, anything), but does eat dairy, like yogurt and cheese. She eats a ton of fiber.
AND- there is NEVER a reason to add WHITE BREAD to a child's diet. UGH! It sounds like she needs to go back and learn more about nutrition. She probably just is telling you that b/c it's more difficult for her to give your child something different from the chicken nuggets and french fries the other kids are eating. kwim?

Last edited by Mom2Natalya; 05-05-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Mom2Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote