Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
keribear120
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Advice for Texture Problems?

OK, so I'm not sure if this is a "problem" or if DS is just not ready for non-purees?

I have 8.5 mo B/G twins. G is great at chewing and swallowing anything I put in her mouth. She even once snuck a bite of a tomato I had just picked from the garden! We are still working on her actually getting the food into her mouth by herself without just smushing it up, but that's another post.

B is another story. He chokes on EVERYTHING. Even those "dissolving" teething biscuits! Teeny chunks of carrots, half-mashed blueberries... EVERYTHING. He tries to swallow it straight down, coughs his head off to get the food out of his throat, and inevitably ends up spitting up from the effort. It's terrible.

Is there anything I can do to encourage chewing/gumming? He has 3 teeth. (G has 5... is that why she is doing better?)

Advertisement

keribear120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Advice for Texture Problems?

No he may not be ready for it yet. Eac baby handles food differently and at different times. My dd was over two before she could eat a french fry without choking. Just stick with the puree and in two weeks try again, he it may be a couple of months before he gets it.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
keribear120
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
No he may not be ready for it yet. Eac baby handles food differently and at different times. My dd was over two before she could eat a french fry without choking. Just stick with the puree and in two weeks try again, he it may be a couple of months before he gets it.
So Missy, what did you do in the meantime for your DD? I know you didn't feed her puree for 2 years - did she handle other foods OK?
keribear120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Yes and it was a hit or miss on foods. We started with bananas that pretty much mushed by the time it hit her mouth from her hand and moved from there. Peaches were the same way. I just stuck with very mushy foods like mash potatoes that have some consistency but still very mushy. She eventually got it. I think she just had a very strong gag reflex.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

My third child had purees until her 2nd birthday. She gagged on regular food. Now she eats fine (she's 2.5 now), everything that the rest of us eat
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote