Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
doodleswife
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you were induced

I'm so excited for you! I had my first in March and was induced. We went to the hospital at 8 pm on Tuesday night and they put in the cervadil. The plan was to do cervadil for a few hours and then do pitocin. They left the cervadil in for 3 hours and I had dilated to 6! I got an epidural around 2:30 (not the plan, but back-labor-induced nausea and vomiting was too much to handle!) and fell asleep. Dr. woke me up at 7:35, said my water had broken and I was dilated to 10. Baby was born at 8:06! I hope your experience is as smooth and wonderful as mine was! Best of luck!

Advertisement

doodleswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
mommyto3beautifulbabes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My water was only broken with the bad labor the other two my water broke on it's own. I don't know if this had anything to do with my experience or not. I was just thinking about that as I read someone else's comment.

http://EverythingForModernMoms.blogspot.com...visit my blogs for lots of reviews and tons of giveaways!
mommyto3beautifulbabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm just excited the drs agreed to let me go to 38 weeks, they wanted to schedule me this week but agreed to let me try to go one extra week if I came in for an extra NST every week till I deliver (already getting 2/NSTs a week so now I'm up to 3 plus an extra u/s each week) I would have agreed to just about anything if they would let me go a bit longer lol! When I was 30 weeks they didn't think I would make it to 36 weeks so it's pretty amazing I'm going to have a full term baby!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was induced due to decels at 38w. I went in at noon and got all my IVs and paperwork done. My OB came at 1 PM and broke my water (I'd been 2-3cm for weeks) and started the Pitocin. They had trouble keeping baby's HR on the monitor with the belt, so they had to use an internal monitor that was placed on baby's scalp. From that point on I was bedridden. I got an epi at some point because I just couldn't deal with the painful contrax. DD was born at 9:31 PM, so basically 8.5 hr labor.

My second child was born med-free and I will say that Pitocin induced contrax are much harder and are, IMO, a lot more painful.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

dp

Last edited by TS8213; 07-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The way they will induce will depend (should depend, anyway) on how favorable your cervix is. If you're dilated and effaced at all they will probably want to break your water and start pitocin. If you're not, they'll want to do a ripener like cervidil or cytotec first. If baby isn't engaged breaking water first is generally NOT a good idea as the risk of cord prolapse is too high. And starting pitocin with an unfavorable cervix is also just a bad idea, since a cervix that is closed and not effaced generally doesn't dilate well.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

IF you get pitocin... you can still walk around. You will have to drag and IV stand and probably stay on the monitor. (It's a big elastic strap thingy around your waist.)So you can't walk far but around the bed and to the bathroom as needed. You can sit in a rocking chair or bounce on a birth ball. (IF they have them. ) Just because you are being induced doesn't mean you just lay down in the bed! Let gravity help you out!

Be aware Pitocin makes the contraction unnatural and hard. (DS was pitocin. DD was natural) I tried to get an epi with DS but it failed. The contractions were strong with no break for me. From about 4 cm to birth the pain with contractions were the same level of horrible. The pain did not get worse for me as I dilated more. With DD, it was different and much easier. Do not feel guilty if you need one.

Honestly... L&D at the hospital are usually really good about answering your questions about what is available.

DON"T let them break your water till you are actually in labor and starting to dilate. Once you do they start the imaginary 24 hour clock to give birth. Also know what is a "normal" heart rate for a baby during a contraction. (I know someone who was scared into a C-section because her baby was "in distress". Actually the heart rate only lowered 10 bpm during contractions. It was a Friday and I guess the doctor didn't want his weekend plans ruined.)

Good Luck!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
busyteacher
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was induced. When I went in I was 3 cm already. Started pit at 6:30 broke my water at 8:30. I was allowed to get up and go to the bathroom as needed and walk around my room. I didn't get my epidural until around 1. He was born at 5:58.
busyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I probably walked about a mile on the pitocin to try to help labor along on it's own too. With both I was already 3 cm dilated and did not need cervidill. Showed up at 6 am on pitocin by 8. I did not have to be constantly monitored either. As much as many mamas are against it, it isn't always bad.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

As of last Friday I was 1cm dialated and 40% effaced and she is in the -3 station (stupid bed rest made her wiggle back up, 2 weeks before I was 90% effaced and she was in the -1 station) so hopefully I will progress even more before next Thursday! I'm tempted to take myself off bedrest next week since really what's the harm? I'm going to have her no matter what next thursday and if I can get things moving that would be awesome.

I'm glad that there is a possibility for me to move around a bit, I think I'd go crazy otherwise! I'm going to get an epidural but not until I absolutely can not stand it anymore, I hope to go quite a but without the epi if not the whole thing, just depends on my pain tolerance level

Thanks guys!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote