Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone WOH fulltime and go to school fulltime?

I am currently an LPN and currently enrolled to take 13 hours this fall to go towards my RN. I am so scared that I won't be able to do this. I had always worked and took a class or 2 until I had ds2 and then I just quit taking classes. I am currently in a great job that I can stay in after I get my RN and make better money, so no job changing or anything. I am very motivated to do this just looking for some btdt from anyone who has done this. I currently work 8-5 M-F and will take classes online.

ETA: The school nurse at my kids school is retiring in the next 5 years or so and that would also be something I would consider until my kids were out of school, but I need a BSN in Nursing to apply for that so more motivation there!!

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone WOH fulltime and go to school fulltime?

I'm currently working full time as a chemical tech. in the Spring, i'm hoping to start full time on a Medical Laboratory Technician associates. I really just want the certification but, I haven't found anywhere I can get it without completing at least an associates degree. I know going back is going to be different but, I think since it will only be a year or a little longer for me (I already have a BS in Chemistry and Biology so, i can skip a lot of the prereq's) it won't be too bad.

amholb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I did it my last year of graduate school, had to carry 20 hrs for internship at the hospital, plus a side job of 20 hours teaching, and went to school full time for social work.

Didn't have DD though yet

Just take it one week at a time. Try to plan to do assignments early and not let things stack up until the end. I have plenty of nurse friends who did it, and I know you can be successful!
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
lauren0289
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work FT and take 13hrs a semester too! I split my semester into 2 eight week chunks. That way I have 2 classes the first chunk and 2 classes the last chunk. Its easier for me to manage only 2 at a time. I spend 1-2hours a night on homework. DH pretty much handles the house. We somehow make it. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last year DP worked FT as a teacher & was in school for her admin cert FT. She took her classes on-campus, an hour away. Summer, she was away from 3ish-9ish 4 days/wk, Fall, she left from school & got home around 9pm...I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 days/wk, & Spring it was the same time & she went once a week. She also had some week-long intensive classes thrown in there, so if she had a week vacation from school, she just went to class for five full days that week.

It was tough; she was exhausted all the time, I work FT & had DD by myself most evenings, DD missed her...but I'm glad she just bit the bullet & did it all at once. Now she's doing her internship. She'll be done with that in December & will do one class per week during the fall semester...then she'll have a lot more professional opportunities, we'll have more income, blah, blah, blah.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amholb0 View Post
I'm currently working full time as a chemical tech. in the Spring, i'm hoping to start full time on a Medical Laboratory Technician associates. I really just want the certification but, I haven't found anywhere I can get it without completing at least an associates degree. I know going back is going to be different but, I think since it will only be a year or a little longer for me (I already have a BS in Chemistry and Biology so, i can skip a lot of the prereq's) it won't be too bad.
I am taking Bio 1114 online and am terrified! My daycare lady took it last year online and she said it was really hard because you do the lab by yourself. I took AP Bio in HS and made an A. Why oh why didn't I clep out when I had the chance??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1300 View Post
I did it my last year of graduate school, had to carry 20 hrs for internship at the hospital, plus a side job of 20 hours teaching, and went to school full time for social work.

Didn't have DD though yet

Just take it one week at a time. Try to plan to do assignments early and not let things stack up until the end. I have plenty of nurse friends who did it, and I know you can be successful!
Great job!! And thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren0289 View Post
I work FT and take 13hrs a semester too! I split my semester into 2 eight week chunks. That way I have 2 classes the first chunk and 2 classes the last chunk. Its easier for me to manage only 2 at a time. I spend 1-2hours a night on homework. DH pretty much handles the house. We somehow make it. Good luck!
I am going to a traditional school that just started online classes this semester and next. When I transfer they have a lot of options for class schedules. I like the way you did it and will definitely see if it is an option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Last year DP worked FT as a teacher & was in school for her admin cert FT. She took her classes on-campus, an hour away. Summer, she was away from 3ish-9ish 4 days/wk, Fall, she left from school & got home around 9pm...I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 days/wk, & Spring it was the same time & she went once a week. She also had some week-long intensive classes thrown in there, so if she had a week vacation from school, she just went to class for five full days that week.

It was tough; she was exhausted all the time, I work FT & had DD by myself most evenings, DD missed her...but I'm glad she just bit the bullet & did it all at once. Now she's doing her internship. She'll be done with that in December & will do one class per week during the fall semester...then she'll have a lot more professional opportunities, we'll have more income, blah, blah, blah.
Wow! That was me several years ago and I think I just got burned out. I started LPN school when ds1 was 5 months old and when I started working I was working 12 hour shifts but managed to schedule classes in. I took the job I currently have and work 8-5 and took 1-2 classes at a time as I could afford to. I am ready to do this now and am kicking myself for not being done already!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am taking Human Behavior, Am History, Gen Bio and Comp 2. When I started college before I went to LPN school I was going to be an Animal Science major so I have several courses that don't help me now.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

I work 12 hours fr sat sunday and go to school full time all day mon-thurs and some friday mornings I have done this since I was pregnant with DD. I only have two more semesters though and I'm done!
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama View Post
I work 12 hours fr sat sunday and go to school full time all day mon-thurs and some friday mornings I have done this since I was pregnant with DD. I only have two more semesters though and I'm done!
I have considered doing weekends only and having the week off to school and stuff. It is something DH and I have talked about but I am not ready to do yet. I may have the option to work part time in my current position. I am applying for a nursing scholarship that will pay a stipend next year. If I get it I can afford to go part time. The scholarship pays all tuition, books, etc plus a monthly $1250 stipend to live on. I cannot accept any other financial aid if I do get it though. And I pay it back by working a year for each year awarded which I would be able to meet in my current position. Lots of options for me if I can just buckle down and do it.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Carolyn528
Registered Users
seller

I'll be doing this soon! I'm a teacher and this fall I'll be taking 2 grad classes plus an internship (done at my current job). I'm sweating, but it's only for a year and I'll have the license I need.
B 6/9/11
Due 10/30
Carolyn528 is offline   Reply With Quote