Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF while pregnant?

This is not medical advice because I'm not a medical professional I'm just sharing my personal experience. DS was my first child in 2008 so I didn't need to worry about nursing while preggers. With DD I became pregnant when DS was 13 months so I nursed him throughout my pregnancy without any issues and my MW knew about it and was ok with it. I weaned him at 23 months and within 24 hours I went into labor with DD. Once she was born I tandem nursed both on them until DS was 25 months and weaned him because he was getting violent with DD a newborn.

Now that I look back I think I could have handled that situation better than just to wean him. Live and learn I guess. I became pregnant this time around when DD was 20 months and I intend to nurse her to 24-25 months and that will be Sept-Oct of this year. I've been nursing almost non stop for 4 years so I'm looking forward to a break in between DD and this new rainbow baby due in early February. Oh, and my MW (different group) are aware that I'm nursing and are ok with it even when my progesterone levels were considered low and they were afraid I would miscarry. So different professionals have different 'comfort' levels of risk.

If you feel strongly about breastfeeding while pregnant try getting a 2nd opinion to put your mind at rest.

Advertisement

Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
pippi2077
Registered Users

I nursed through 2 pregnancies. I would get a new doc. Actually I would find a midwife. Midwives are awesome!! Our oldest 2 are 11.5m apart. I nursed #1 until she was 8m. I had many, many factors that lead me to wean #1 at 8m. #3 and #4 are 13m apart to the day. I nursed #3 through #4 pregnancy. They both nursed until 3y.

Unless you have major health issues yourself you should be fine to nurse through a pregnancy. A friend has epilespy and she just nursed through a pregnancy.
pippi2077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You absolutely can. I got pregnant when DD was 5 mos and she weaned when she turned one. It was very taxing on my energy but we made it. Lots of water, extra calories, and more sleep are imparative. It also depends on how much your LO nurses. If he is down to a few times a day, it would not be nearly as difficult as producing enough milk for a baby still not on any solids.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
kittynoodlesoup
Registered Users

i was wondering about this too
kittynoodlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I hate it when doctors are full of baloney. Sadly, some mamas will follow this bad advice.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
ivymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Provided that you want to continue, go for it. Get a new doc if they tell you otherwise. DS was 6 mos old when I found out I was preggo with DS2 (due on friday!). I knew something was up because ds quit giving me wet dipes and wanted to nurse all the time. I continued to bf as long as my milk kept up. We made it to about 9 mos and then had to switch to formula cause my milk just couldn't keep up. I did my best and am happy we made it as long as we did! DS did fine with the transition as soon as he realized that the bottle really satisfied his hunger, and that mama would still give lots of cuddle time.
ivymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Of course you can. You may wish to consider a new care provider, your current doctor does not sound either knowledgeable about or supportive of BF'ing. I am currently nursing my 17 month old while pregnant and will continue to tandem nurse after the new baby is born until he decides to self wean, certainly no less than 30 months and preferably longer. I suggest, "Adventures in Tandem Nursing."
Old 07-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I nursed DS until I was 25 weeks pregnant and he self-weaned. It's important to eat well and take care of yourself, but it can absolutely be done successfully.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would actually ask your doctor why she/he said that. Speaking as a physician, we sadly don't get that much training about breastfeeding, so it may just be ignorance. And if you just leave and don't come back they would have no idea why and would continue to give out the same advice. So if it's just ignorance you could help some other mamas out in the future if you led the doc to new info. (not that it's your job to educate your doctor, of course). But she/he may have some valid reason that they are worried about YOU specifically breastfeeding in pregnancy (for example a woman who has a history of anorexia and is significantly undernourished, say; or a strong history of preterm labor might be reasons why the doctor would feel it might not be the best in a particular case)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

With my doc she told me I needed to wean my son. However she also told me it was "hospital policy" which is her code for I have to say it but I don't agree with it. There's alot of we're things hat hospital does and since she practices there he has to give that advice. She then went on to tell me (out of the office) that unless there are medical complications I wouldn't need to.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote