Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Number of children/rooms?

I have a big house... I guess we have 5 bedrooms (DH and I, baby, ODD, 2nd DD, and the boys share). We also have 2 offices, and a big playroom.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
We have large home. 7 kids right now. We have 7 rooms that can be bedrooms. But we use one as an office, one as a play room and one as a school room. 2 kids are in our room still, 3 middle kids share and 2 teens have their own rooms.

Open space is more important to me than bedrooms. Our home is 5000 square feet and will work for us for a long time.
I totally agree about open space, Katie!
We have a very small house now with 4 kids, 3 share a room.
When we eventually get a bigger house I want one with lots of bedrooms, not so each kid can have there own, but so we can have a playroom and an office, maybe a school room.

Chelsea mom of 4, from my phone
Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

We have 4 bedrooms total. DH and I have a room, our 2 girls have a room, the 2 older boys have a room, and then the baby has a room but it is really the playroom and his bed is also in there. When he is old enough to transition with the boys the 4th room will purely be a playroom and we'll have the 3 boys in 1 room.

We recently moved from a 2 bedroom apartment and at that time we had the 4 older kids in the largest bedroom, and then DH, myself, and the baby in the smaller room.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
littlemsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our situation isn't ideal but we have 3 bedrooms. But is where God has us right now... All of the kids share a room. We have our room and the classroom. The living room is the play area.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

8 kids, 5 bedrooms (one is a walk through open area at the top of the stairs) Oldest son is on his own, next 2 girls are together, 4 little boys in the largest room and 1 girl on her own in the walk through room.

BTW we have 2000 sq ft for a family going on 11!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have 3 kids (#4 on the way) and 3 bedrooms. One bedroom is used as DH's study. Three boys in the other bedroom. Us in the third bedroom. Baby will be with us in the third bedroom and then he'll go in with the older boys when he's 1 or so. We have a bunk bed and a loft bed. The crib/toddler bed will go under the loft bed.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have three bedrooms and three kids (planning on 1-2 more). Right now oldest dd is in the smaller of the two kids rooms and oldest ds is in the larger in a toddler bed and youngest ds's crib and dresser etc. is in there as well. Youngest ds actually sleeps and naps in our master bedroom walk in closet as oldest ds (2) can and will climb into youngest ds's crib and I'm not convinced he wouldn't unintentionally hurt him. The plan is to move them in together eventually though. Long term we want to build a garage attached to the house with a master bedroom and bathroom over top and turn the current master bedroom into a kids room and put two to three kids in there (depending on genders) two in the larger of the kids rooms and keep the smallest "kid" room as a guest room.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our house is a quad level and the top level has 4 bedrooms- I don't want the kids to be far away from me so we have the two oldest boys sharing a room and the two youngest boys sharing a room, DD has her own.
We have a guest room on a main level but my step-son and MIL use it when they are here (not at the same time). We also have several bedrooms in our finished basement but I'm not sure what age I will be comfortable with my oldest boys being down there. Eventually they will be and everyone will get their own room.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #29
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
We have 5 bedrooms, 4 for the kids. We have 5 going on 6 kids. We have 5 boys and only 1 girl. My oldest, 6yrs, shares with my second oldest, 4yrs (who is a twin with the only girl). The girl has her own. My second set of twins is boy/boy and they share. The baby is a boy and will have his own. At some point, we would like to have 3 boys in one room and use the extra room for something else.

We would like to have 3 together right now and use the 5th room as a school room, but our bedrooms won't fit 3 kids in them without it being super tight, even with the bunkbed the boys have. We were trying to figure out how to arrange it and just couldn't come up with anything that would work and have the room still be useable.

So, I do agree with the open space being important, but you also have to make sure the rooms will accommodate the number of beds/kids you want in each.
You could get a trundle to go under the bunk beds. They have really low ones that have wheels to make is easy to pull the bed out & put away. We have a trundle that fits under our bunks.
Like this just make sure you don't put a thick mattress on it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 07-26-2012 at 06:21 PM.
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=4boys1girlforme;15458660]You could get a trundle to go under the bunk beds. They have really low ones that have wheels to make is easy to pull the bed out & put away. We have a trundle that fits under our bunks.
Like this just make sure you don't put a thick mattress on it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Thanks! I'm sure we could figure something out if we were willing to spend some money. I'd love to get one of those triple loft bunk beds that I've seen. 2 on top, one over a bed and the other a loft, but connected to the bunks. But, we don't think having the 3 older together will be long term since one is a girl. We are thinking maybe 3 years at the most, but probably more like 2. We don't really want to spend money to make it happen. Someday we might plan to have 3 boys (or 4) in that room long term. If we do that, we'll figure out a way to make it work. I guess we just don't want it badly enough right now.

ETA - That's cool though!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 07-26-2012 at 08:06 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote