Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Willow's_lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smelly 9 yo

My 9 (almost 10) year old ds is smelly! He just has the worst body odor
Anyone have advice for this? This is what I've tried over the last year with very limited to no success (in this order):

Corn starch baby powder
CS baby powder mixed with baking soda
Homemade deodorant made from corn starch, baking soda, coconut oil, and tto.
homemade deodorant purchased online (2 different ones)
and finally I've come to using Speed Stick deodorant (not antiperspirant)

He still smells! He washes with Lever 2000 soap... I would love to take any of your suggestions! I REALLY don't want to use antiperspirant!

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Smelly 9 yo

He's NINE, he's supposed to smell at nine. Have you ever walked into a fourth grade classroom after recess? Remember the first days of fourth and fifth grade when the teacher said "You all need to start wearing deodorant, you aren't little anymore, and I won't suffer all year"... but, the boys still smelled.

Anyway....I swear by scrubbing really well with Dial soap. Good old fashioned dial soap, then scrub with a washcloth and dry very well with a towel after his shower or bath.

Swim and or shower more often now.

My ex used to dab his pits with watered down vodka. LOL. It helped.

Otherwise, just know that he is one of 60 other boys in his school that stink.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My soon to be 11 year old stinks too. Tom's in woodspice, lavender or apricot all seem to work quite well but he has to shower every day or every other day (depending on how active he is/if he is playing outside) or he smells again. It is just the hormones kicking in and little boys smell as bad as dogs that play outside. He just uses whatever soap I have, right now we are using home made body wash made from bar soap turned into liquid body wash (I have the recipe it is quite simple but honestly any body wash or bar soap works I think). I love Roman Bath Almond Kiss but I have no idea how to get it if you don't live close to them. We have also used Primal soaps and they worked well.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Willow's_lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good to know I'm not alone! He does shower every day...the vodka idea is tempting, lol!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Also, make sure he's drinking lots of water. I smell less when I drink plenty of water and eat less sugar, though the latter is difficult for me. Love my sugar. lol
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I'm glad you brought this up. I have 7 brothers and don't remember them stinking. Maybe it was because I stunk as well.

Anyway my 9 year old started stinking really bad last year. He is also getting pimples. I thought something was wrong and had him into the doctor. I guess he isn't too young afterall.

Soo glad to know he is just a normal little boy. I can handle stinkies I just dreaded something more being wrong.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Could it be his clothing? If he has this extra strong "boy stink" could it be that his clothing isnt get clean enough? That way even though he's squeaky clean in the begining of the day, the smell is building up in his clothes? I think about clothes vs. diapers and that my "routine" for regular clothes wouldn't work for diapers.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
colliflower
Registered Users

^ probably it
colliflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 4 going on 5 boys. The oldest is 6. Nice to know this is what I have to look forward to.

I would definitely check into the clothing being an issue because I have that problem with my old t-shirts that I wear daily. I smell fine, but my shirts stink by the end of the day. They are old. I'm too cheap to buy new ones. I'm pregnant right now anyway and don't want to buy any new maternity clothing because this is my last. I've had most of the shirts I'm talking about for 4 pregnancies and I've lived in them every time.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 07-24-2012 at 06:31 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He does need an antiperspirant. Also, make sure he understands to wash his groin area(leg creases) very well with a washcloth and soap. The same glands are in the that area as under the arms. You can imagine when the bacteria builds up it can be rather /