Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Smelly 9 yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
He's NINE, he's supposed to smell at nine. Have you ever walked into a fourth grade classroom after recess? Remember the first days of fourth and fifth grade when the teacher said "You all need to start wearing deodorant, you aren't little anymore, and I won't suffer all year"... but, the boys still smelled.
Once they get to a certain age I swear they don't wash as well. I like to occasionally swipe my DS's arm, leg, back of neck etc with a washable marker when he is not looking.(I'm mean!) Then after the shower... I point out how it is still there. I tell him GO WASH... USE THE WASH CLOTH and SCRUB! He hates 2 shower nights! But yeah... he's stinky by the end of the day. I make him shower daily. He uses spray deodorant. (not antiperspirant. I don't think it is healthy to not sweat. Sweat is normal!) I also make sure he wears socks with his shoes. (Otherwise they get nasty )
I also make him use antibacterial soap once a week and eat yogurt. Nothing has really helped.

Advertisement

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia

Once they get to a certain age I swear they don't wash as well. I like to occasionally swipe my DS's arm, leg, back of neck etc with a washable marker when he is not looking.(I'm mean!) Then after the shower... I point out how it is still there. I tell him GO WASH... USE THE WASH CLOTH and SCRUB! He hates 2 shower nights! But yeah... he's stinky by the end of the day. I make him shower daily. He uses spray deodorant. (not antiperspirant. I don't think it is healthy to not sweat. Sweat is normal!) I also make sure he wears socks with his shoes. (Otherwise they get nasty )
I also make him use antibacterial soap once a week and eat yogurt. Nothing has really helped.
I live the marker trick. Going to have to remember that for when mine get older.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was at the same loss with my daughter last year. She broke her leg and I had to start helping her shower again and found that she was doing a horrible job washing. I taught her to SCRUB and she hasn't had a problem since.
Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am watching this thread. DS1 turned 10 in April and I have noticed nothing but sweaty little boy smell coming from him. His skin has changed this year though. He's getting tiny little pimply bumps on his cheeks. You can't really see them unless you look at him at an angle.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know what his diet is like, but I personally found that when I cut out sugar and processed foods I don't smell nearly as bad.
I don't have experience with boys other than my little guy, though, and he still smells baby sweet
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Maybe if you DRINK the vodka you won't care about the smell...

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post

OP, are you sure his clothes are getting clean enough? If he sweats a little bit it might make the lingering pit smell come out even more if it's not getting completely washed out.
Other than that, I'd have him keeping using deodorant (I wouldn't do anti-persirant either, it's horrible stuff) and teach him to really scrub and wash himself thoroughly.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I am watching this thread. DS1 turned 10 in April and I have noticed nothing but sweaty little boy smell coming from him. His skin has changed this year though. He's getting tiny little pimply bumps on his cheeks. You can't really see them unless you look at him at an angle.
witchhazel, once a day.

worked on my adult acne
worked on the mysterious rash around my 1yo's face that the doctors told me I'd just have to live with.

dab it on a cotton swab, wipe all over face (or just the area). Costs $1-2 and available at any grocery store, sometimes near the rubbing alcohol. Lasts months. Completely natural.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
witchhazel, once a day.

worked on my adult acne
worked on the mysterious rash around my 1yo's face that the doctors told me I'd just have to live with.

dab it on a cotton swab, wipe all over face (or just the area). Costs $1-2 and available at any grocery store, sometimes near the rubbing alcohol. Lasts months. Completely natural.
Yes! It does work wonders on skin

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
Willow's_lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post

I'm pretty sure its not the clothes but maybe I'll do a wash with some borax or baking soda...I remind him pretty much every night to SCRUB not just wipe with the cloth...I'm going to try the antibacterial soap...