Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
dannimom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Cric'd DH and intact DS

Eric is circumcised, but any DS will be left intact. Any advice on how to explain why "daddy" is different in the event a DS asks?

Advertisement

dannimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cric'd DH and intact DS

My dh is circ'd but both of our boys are not. We have always lived by the motto..."when they are old enough to ask the question, they are old enough to hear the answer..." So, that being said.....when/if our boys ask we will just tell them the truth.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Same here, we sis not circ our boys. No one has ever asked!

However, Daddy does look different than little boys....no matter what. perhaps thats why no one has thought to ask. Plus modesty is important around our house. I know the little boys have probably seen Daddy go potty, but perhaps it was too soon to wonder.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hasn't come up here yet (same situation), but i will probably say something about how it's a cosmetic procedure that we feel should be left up to our kids to decide.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS hasn't asked but our stance is telling him it was a surgery that people used to think was important but now we know it isn't.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
Same here, we sis not circ our boys. No one has ever asked!

However, Daddy does look different than little boys....no matter what. perhaps thats why no one has thought to ask. Plus modesty is important around our house. I know the little boys have probably seen Daddy go potty, but perhaps it was too soon to wonder.
Exactly, no matter what, dad will be bigger and hairier, which is more likely to be the focus of any "difference" questions. And I agree, tell the truth. "We believe that your body is yours to control. Daddy didn't have a choice but you do."
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also...the anticipation of this conversation is far stronger than the real impact of it on children, IMO. They're just as likely or unlikely to be curious about all the differences between themselves and mom, depending on their temperament and the degree of physical coverage in the home. How many times does everyone's DH remember sitting around comparing penises with their own dads? That's about how much you need to worry.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's a pretty simple conversation if it does come up at all. It's really not some horrible conversation to be dreaded, especially since you left your son intact, he will be thankful for it.

I don't recall how the topic came up at our house, I think one of them was reading and asked what circumcision was and so we told them. They were very thankful that had not been done to them, I'm not sure if any of them even know or noticed dad is different though. They haven't mentioned it if they did.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Just keep it very simple. When daddy was a baby boy doctors thought it was healthier to take off the foreskin. By the time you were born doctors found out that it wasn't healthier, so we didn't take it off.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows

Exactly, no matter what, dad will be bigger and hairier, which is more likely to be the focus of any "difference" questions. And I agree, tell the truth. "We believe that your body is yours to control. Daddy didn't have a choice but you do."
While we feel that DH had no choice we don't want the kids to have animosity towards their grandparents :twocents:

Sent from my DROID2 using DS Forum
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote