Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Your Opinions Please UPDATE POST 1

This is going to be long, and I apologize in advance, and if you make it through it, thank you.

I was all set on HS my 2nd grade DD. I have her curriculum planned out, everything ready...but I also bought her school uniforms, backpack and lunchbox to send her back to PS. I am just thoroughly confused. One day after shopping for uniforms dh was like "wait, I thought you were going to HS her?" and I was like well I don't know!

The dilemma is...I am afraid of the impression this will have on my career. I am in a Master's degree program for educational administration and will be doing my fieldwork and internship at my girls school. I taught full time at the school last year, teaching first grade (been teaching 6 years total). This year, I will only be substitute teaching and doing my fieldwork. So, I will essentially be at the school quite a bit, even though I won't be getting paid for half of it Next year I will be doing my internship for the first 4 months of school. ANYWAY I am worried what they will think if I do not send her back. My 4th grade dd will still be there (she does not want to be HS'ed yet), and my 5th grader will be at the middle school (my principal runs BOTH schools, and I could essentially end up at either school as well on any given day).

Childcare/schooling is not an issue. Dh and I have arranged it so I will be home Monday/weds and he will be home tues/thurs DAY but not night (but night doesn't matter b/c I will be home). We will all be home Fridays (there is no school on fridays here). I planned to just HS her around my obligations (b/c that's the beauty of HSing!). Dh does not care either way, but said "I can't teach her. I can set her up on the computer, but that's about it" LOL.

SO, I do not want them to think badly of me for not sending her. I am afraid it will have a negative impact on my career (b/c what administrator does NOT send their kid to the PS they work at?).

There's another option-to do my fieldwork and internship at a different school district-which I've considered b/c there is no possible way I will get an administration job with my current district. There's only 2 schools, and 1 principal for both schools. And if the Principal left, there are 3 other people who'd get the position before me (besides I won't graduate until Dec 2013, and the principal has no intentions of leaving). So, if I did my fieldwork and internship at a bigger district, where there could be potential opportunities for me when I graduate it could benefit me-BUT I like the security of my current school. I can go back to teaching there full time at any time (as long as a position is open), if I were to not get an administrative position right away....

So, I don't know what to do. My desire is to HS her. I think she NEEDS to be HSed. She is 6, and won't turn 7 until October. She started school in CA, where the cut-off is december, then we moved here where the cut-off is september, so she is the youngest 2nd grader. She is also the tiniest physically. AND she struggles. AND she has no attention span. She is only interested in bugs. I'm a teacher. I can teach her. I can focus on HER. I can use her interests (bugs) to help her learn. I KNOW I can because she was in my class when she was in Kindergarten. Last year in 1st grade, she had a brand new, straight out of college teacher, who had 25 students and just couldn't really handle her. She's not bad, just very "loopy", very distracted, mind wanders, etc. BUT give that girl a butterfly garden and let her watch their life cycle, and she turns into a different little girl. She will stare at them for hours, eagerly awaiting for them to emerge from their chrysalis'. She will attempt to read books about the butterflies. She will write and draw about them. She will add and subtract them. She will tell you facts about bugs/creatures that blow my mind. But, give her some manipulatives and a reader, and she acts like she can't even read "the" and "to". She won't focus, b/c she has no interest. Her favorite things are bugs, writing, and drawing. Last year her teacher was kind enough to let us bring many creatures in. We brought in the butterfly garden, a ladybug garden, some toads we caught, a tarantula we caught, etc etc. There is NO SCIENCE in the school. NONE. It is not taught. AT ALL. If I send her back to PS we will continue to do our "science" at home (we love insectlore!).

She needs more. She reads at a Kindergarten level. However, on the state tests she scored second highest in her class (b/c it is all comprehension, not phonics/reading). She is bright, and funny, and SMART, but not in the "normal" way. She is going to do amazing things/be amazing, but I feel like she is just going to continue to slip through the cracks...

I don't know what to do. If I choose one way I am being selfish, putting my career before her education. If I choose another way, I could very well affect my career. I feel like there's no winning.

She doesn't know which she prefers. She wants to be HSed and wants to go to PS for her friends. And, most importantly, she wants to keep her backpack LOL (obviously she can keep it either way lol).

Please offer some insight. Maybe something I am missing? WWYD?

ETA: I really do not want to "back out" of doing my internship at my school, b/c I want to keep the best recommendation possible. But, I COULD, just don't think it would be wise.

School starts in 2 weeks. My fieldwork starts in 7.

UPDATE: So I saw in the paper an ad for a K/1 combo teacher (I have taught Kinder and 1st for 6 years) at a small, Christian school. I randomly applied and have an interview tomorrow. It is a 2 room school house, and they say "closest you can get to HSing without being at home". This may be the solution for me, however, I do not know how much the pay is (if it'll be worth it) and if the kids can go for free/discount (I have 3 school agers). I have also been struggling with what to do with my 5th grader, b/c she is going to middle school and not too thrilled with the school, and this school is K-8th. So, this just threw a wrench in everything. I'm not even sure I WANT to do it. We'll see...

Advertisement

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 07-31-2012 at 02:53 AM.
5PrincessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

True enough, there is a stigma still with homeschooling, but not all across the board. It seems like it is more likely that your dd will have a hard time in the classroom setting than the likelihood of your career bring effected. I've heard of quite a few school administrators that homeschool, so it isn't out of the question. Also, if her main reason to want to go to public school is for friends, I don't think that is a strong enough reason simply because she still had the option of neighborhood friends, and friends met at various activities. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Your Opinions Please

Yes, if I was ALREADY an administrator, I wouldn't be worried. I just don't want affect my relationship/position with the school. It is weighing heavily on me.

Her friend reason is valid to HER, if that makes any sense. We live in a small, rural town, on a cul-de-sac, with a total of 5 houses. 1 is un-occupied most of the year, one is a group of native american men who never leave their house, 1 is an old lady, and the last one, our direct neighbor, do have a 12 y.o daughter that the girls do play with. There is 1 HS group in the next town over, BUT nobody ever goes to any of the events/meetups. There is no community center, etc here. SO, it is hard to find friends for her. She wants to do gymnastics, but there's no gymnastics center. But ultimately, I agree that's not a good reason. Just throwing in her opinion (which obviously isn't too concerning when her main focus is her backpack lol). I DO worry about her having friends, and how we'd meet them though. She needs lots of time to run and play, but would have nobody to run and play with. But I am sure I'd come up with something!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
satiglenn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If approached with questions about the situation, I would just give vague answers about "special needs" and realizing, as a parent AND teacher, that her needs will be easier to meet by someone who doesnt have many other kids to deal with. Also, cite a "test run" to see if this works better for her. You don't have to give them any detailed info; that's your family's business.
satiglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
agzip03
Registered Users

I don't think there should be any problem. I work at a large 9-10 school and there are many teachers/administrators that send there kids to private school. I don't see that any different then homeschooling. I've talked to several teachers who would like to homeschool, but couldn't because of financial reasons. My principal sends her daughter to the high school across town.
agzip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

But once you finish your degree and become a full-time administrator, won't she have to go to PS then? There would be more continuity in her education then. I have hs'd and ps'd, and I am very happy with our ps.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Hitchkids
Registered Users

A lot of educators/school administrators homeschool their children. If anyone questions you, all you have to say is that your daughter has unique needs that are best met at home at this time. I think every parent understands a parent seeing a need for their child and wanting to do everything they can to provide it. I guess for me the bottom line is a question of is it more important to make sure your daughter's needs are met or that someone else is pleased with your decision. I know it's a bit more complicated when you are talking about a possible impact on your family's financial well being however I don't see it as being any different than a family that sends their child to a private school while a parent teaches in a public school. Different needs are met in different ways. I"d like to hope that educators can see that not every child is best served by the exact same situation educationally.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would go ahead and hs DD2. You are already pretty sure that the school you are in now won't have a position for you. So, I'm thinking that any recommendation that they might write shouldn't have anything to do with not sending your child to their school. Personally, if I received a recommendation letter that was jaded with things about homeschooling your child-I would dismiss the letter. If you think they would give you an overall poor recommendation b/c of the hs thing, then I would think twice about doing your work there b/c that isn't very professional.

FTR, most of teachers/staff and a fair number of administrators in our local public school district send their kids to Catholic school. As far as I know, no one has been overlooked for positions based on that. People may not have got the promotion they thought they deserved, but there are usually other very valid reasons for that.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengojengo View Post
But once you finish your degree and become a full-time administrator, won't she have to go to PS then? There would be more continuity in her education then. I have hs'd and ps'd, and I am very happy with our ps.
I may or may not; it depends on the dynamics of our family at the time. I won't be able to get an administrator job until the 2014-2015 school year, because I will graduate halfway through the 2013-2014 school year. She'll be in 4th grade. I feel it is really, really important to get her reading proficiently before she hits 4th grade. The chances of a child being a proficient reader decrease dramatically if they aren't already by 3rd/4th grade. She's in an intervention group at PS but it did not help her. We are pretty committed to having one parent SAH, even if it's dh (like it was last year), and we have 2 little ones who are far off from school, so by the time she is in 4th grade, if I have given her a good foundation, it would be possible for dh to school her, with me supplementing. OR she may be ready for PS at that time. I'm not against PS, private school or HS. I am very open. Plus, there's a very good chance we'd have to move for a position. So, I'm not too worried about the future. I am worried about now, and getting her caught up. If that makes sense.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

thank you everyone for your responses! I am probably over thinking this. You all made me feel much better!