Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Registered Users
potty chair is a toy, and other issues.

So I've been trying EC for a few months now. We started slow... I let DS2 (12 months) run nude for a while. I haven't been able to narrow down a cue, I don't have much if any warning. He's not regular really, it just depends on what he's been eating. So I started using training underwear so that I can see he is peeing but its not all over my carpet.

I've tried keeping the potty chair out so that I can grab it fast and catch most of it, which works. But then the chair becomes a toy and I'd prefer it not to be used as a hat or a toy bin. So I keep it in the bathroom. (DS1 didn't not have this issue and we always kept the chair in whatever room he was playing in)

In the bathroom I can't get to it fast enough. Sigh. So Whenever I go or big brother goes I have DS2 sit on the potty too. He loves that. Sometimes he goes, but most of the time its just a game.

Am I doing something wrong? I want to make the association between eliminating and sitting on the potty. I use words and he seems to get that ("you are peeing, you are pooping"). I don't want to pressure him, he will learn when he learns. I just want to know if I'm doing all I can or if there's something else I can try.

I might mention that DS2 is extremely mobile. He can walk, run, jump, dance, climb stairs, and even take his diapers off pull his underwear down (not up though!). To give you an idea just how mobile he is, he likes to move the chair under the light switch and use it as a stool to turn it off and on.

emily54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
I have a friend who started EC with a highly mobile 11 month old and about 9 months later she is in underwear almost fulltime and very few misses. I am not gonna lie, it was a long road and required much patience for her. They have hardwood floors and she just cleaned up her messes very very frequently for several months. Eventually the LO decided she liked to pee outside in the yard where the dog peed lol... started communicating that she wanted to go outside and pee... but no interest in the potty. I think she even now rarely pees in a little potty, she strongly prefers to pee standing or in a slight squat... but her mom makes it work somehow. Tubs, sinks, outdoors, etc.

This is just one person's experience but just so you know what it can be like! Ymmv!!
Mommy to my girl M (b. June 2011) and baby boy G (b. July 2013)
shen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Registered Users
Hmm. If you are not getting any cues, I would take him to potty every 30-60 minutes or so, not just when you go. You want to get ahead of the pees, not behind. Then you won't be running.

He sounds like quite the mover !
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote