Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I filed my first formal complaint against a dr.

I thought you declined the antibiotic? When I read that I remembered I always needed one for my swimmers ear, which I had many times as a young adult. Swimmers ear is so excruciatingly painful I felt so bad for you little girl.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

That poor baby! I had swimmer's ear in February (I know, right?!) and I was in AGONY!
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy
I thought you declined the antibiotic? When I read that I remembered I always needed one for my swimmers ear, which I had many times as a young adult. Swimmers ear is so excruciatingly painful I felt so bad for you little girl.
When she told me it was a super minor infection...she said she wouldn't give her kid oral abx and said she didn't recommend one so I was ok with not getting it.

*sigh* I shouldve requested it anyway

We got drops from the UC...16 total drops a day. She's doing tons better. On drops till Fri, have an appt with a doctor at the big clinic for a recheck Friday.

Sent from my free iPod touch that I cannot figure out
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 07-25-2012 at 04:15 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
gghmommy
Registered Users

These kinds of things just annoy me! I do know that ear infections can get bad quick, kind of without warning, but you'd think if she was feeling it for a week or so prior to you taking her in to be seen, it would appear as an infection. I'm a sahm now, was a RN in a peds office and we now see the doc I used to work for- love her! I know for young children sometimes wax impaction was difficult to remove, but even if it involved flushing the ear- which can take a while, she'd check and re-check until the wax was cleared and she could see the eardrum. I can appreciate the PA not over-prescribing abx, but since it got worse, seems like it was an infection she wasn't going to clear on her own. With the length of time with symptoms, you'd think that would be evident. Also, I know you're doing drops, but I've definitely seen kids recover so fast from a bad infection with an antibiotic shot. My doc usually only did this when we'd tried drops or oral abx first and it didn't clear the infection. The child really hated having to get shots 3 days in a row (and I'm sure the parent wasn't crazy about it either), but by that 3rd day, they were usually back to normal. Thankfully we've only had 2 ear infections in our 20 months, we did do oral antibiotics with great success. Oh- another thing if the pain is really bad did they give you pain drops too? that can really help! good luck!
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
When she told me it was a super minor infection...she said she wouldn't give her kid oral abx and said she didn't recommend one so I was ok with not getting it.

*sigh* I shouldve requested it anyway

We got drops from the UC...16 total drops a day. She's doing tons better. On drops till Fri, have an appt with a doctor at the big clinic for a recheck Friday.

Sent from my free iPod touch that I cannot figure out

Poor child, I'm glad she is doing better. I still shudder at the pain I went through. My ear was swollen closed. The rec. for children over 2 is not give abx unless it is a double ear infection. I'm not sure if that is for an outer ear infection(swimmers ear) though. I don't think it can be as it is a different type of infection.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She said at the 1st appointment that her one ear drum (right I think) was a little bit red but the other one was clear so she didn't recommend antibiotics. Said if I really wanted them she'd go ahead in order them but she wouldn't give her own kid antibiotics...I'm not a huge fan of giving antibiotics when they're not needed so I said that was fine...ugh, should have asked for drops at least, better than oral I guess... I got some otc drops for pain and swimmers ear and we just used those for a while and it seemed to help a little. The antibiotic/pain drops the Urgent Care dr gave us cleared it up almost right away.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 07-26-2012 at 09:46 AM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
iceeholic
Registered Users

I have had this happen with our oldest two. We saw the ped on a Monday and the ears barely looked like they might have an irritation so we declined the meds. By the time Thursday or Friday rolled around the infection was horrible so we ended up doing meds to heal them up. We had to do the pain drops in the ears to help. It happened with our oldest about 2 yrs b4 it happened with the next one. The Ped was shocked at how bad they looked when we took them back. I know it is not fun but it really can happen just that quickly.
iceeholic is offline   Reply With Quote