Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: thumb or Pacifier?

I prefer a binkie to a thumb because it is easier to take away later, granted I am still working on trying to get my son to give it up at almost 3. He chose the one he liked and we also use a binke leash to keep track of them otherwise I would be in real trouble.

Advertisement

rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
We are loving our thumb sucker. He puts himself to sleep whenever he's tired, even on his playmat. Never need to find or wash a binky. we are going to try to limit thumb sucking to bedtime when he hits 1 year, try to end it totally before 2.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

We went with a paci, because you can take it away, but also because I did NOT want my kids learning to suck their thumbs. The thumb is much more likely to cause long-term dental issues than a modern paci. Years ago, there was controversy that neither option was good for the teeth, but newer pacifiers are designed (in theory) to be gentler on dental structure, rather than working against it. With thumb sucking, you never know if you are going to have $1000s of dental work as a result.

Edit: Both of my kids used pacifiers, and neither ever resorted to sucking their thumb after we weaned off the paci. We just weaned them gradually and gave them lots of other options (lovies, blanket, etc.).

Last edited by TooBusyBearcubs; 07-25-2012 at 06:13 PM.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

We went with pacifiers because you can "take them away". Yeah that didnt work since when we took his paci away (he is 2.5) he started sucking his fingers. The worst part is, he only had a paci at night, but when he switched to fingers he does it constantly! He constantly drools because of it. I have been tempted to give the paci back... and wait til he weans himself...
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny
We went with pacifiers because you can "take them away". Yeah that didnt work since when we took his paci away (he is 2.5) he started sucking his fingers. The worst part is, he only had a paci at night, but when he switched to fingers he does it constantly! He constantly drools because of it. I have been tempted to give the paci back... and wait til he weans himself...
I know right? DD only had her paci to sleep for the longest time, but now her fingers or her thumb are almost ALWAYS in her mouth.

She survived 7 months without any sucking and then decided on her fingers. Even her bear that she loves doesn't compare to her thumb anymore.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Angelina6709
Registered Users
seller

ugh yea see I just don't know. I have a friend who in the middle of the night ends up sucking on her fingers without knowing it! I think I'm going to keep trying the bink and just deal with (loosing it, washing it, finding it for him in the middle of the night), but in the end DS is going to just choose what he likes/wants

When did you or plan on weaning/stopping the paci?
Angelina6709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter has nothing to do with either, much to the dismay of my nipple
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I had one child that used both a paci and her thumb, but was done with both (without prompting) pretty much by 18 months. Another child was a dedicated paci sucker. Weaned him off of it around 2 yrs old. And my youngest is 5.5 and still sucks her thumb. I am seriously considering one of those special thumb guards that you can order through the dentist. I know she's probably going to need dental work anyway (her baby teeth are already crowded), but I would rather not add to it simply because she's sucking her thumb. I was quite upset that she wouldn't take a paci.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What did *I* choose for my kids as their mode of self soothing? Lol.

My first sucked on nothing. She only nursed for food even.
My 2nd sucked on her first two fingers till she was 3.5. Short of duct taping her hands to her sides or a bink to her mouth, there was no 'training' her in any direction.
3rd was a paci kid till 2.5. Same scenario as #2.
#4 will take a paci or a finger/hand if she is desperate for suckage but would just prefer nothing.

FTR, I tried vehemently to get each of them to take a paci if needed.

I dont agree that it is a parents choice. These kiddos pick their own source of comfort
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My DS used my breast He waa basically latched on the entire first year.