Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Pacifier! They only get it when tired before bed/nap, sleeping or car (more sleeping). It can be taken away at anytime. Thumb is always with them. When the baby is old enough, they'll search for it and put it in themselves, but for now, I'm content jumping out of bed to give back the pacifier.

Advertisement

HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #22
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: thumb or Pacifier?

DD1 was a paci kid from day one. Avent pacis, to be exact.

DFS would take nothing. Speech therapy finally got him on Nuk ones at 4 months.

DD2 has never taken anything. No thumb, nothing. Ugghhh. The only thing that calms her in the middle of the night is a bottle.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #23
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Asher was all about the pacy. He's had it till recently. He was sick, sore throat, fever, cold sores in his mouth, wouldn't suck. 3 days of the sickness, he gave it up. Truly sad it happened cause he was sick... but, he was 17 months old..lol
DS2 is 2 months old, and really doesn't like a pacy.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #24
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I sucked my thumb until I was 9 years old and had a cruel contraption installed in my mouth to make me stop before beginning braces. First of all, knowing I couldnt sleep without my thumb made those early years super embarrassing for me. No sleepovers for me. And then the shame and trauma of having to have it taken away at 9 was just terrible.

Sooo.. DS takes a paci. He's reaaaalllly trying to figure out how to get that thumb in his mouth though and the prospect horrifies me.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using DS Forum
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #25
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had three paci takers and one thumb sucker. The thumb sucker was MUCH harder to break. Yikes. We ended up buying a "handaid" and it worked.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #26
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina6709
ugh yea see I just don't know. I have a friend who in the middle of the night ends up sucking on her fingers without knowing it! I think I'm going to keep trying the bink and just deal with (loosing it, washing it, finding it for him in the middle of the night), but in the end DS is going to just choose what he likes/wants

When did you or plan on weaning/stopping the paci?
Planned it for 6months. Which is the recommendation. But, we were in the midst of a sleep regression. I did, however, have it limited to sleepy times pretty young.

Planned it for 12months and we needed it for a 5 day drive. Got rid of it at 14months. She didn't nap properly again until she found her thumb at 21 months. Slept fine at night without the paci though.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #27
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Either is fine with me, but none of my kids took a pacifier and the thumb sucking didn't last long either.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #28
Angelina6709
Registered Users
seller

So what do you think? If I stick with the paci I'm going to take it away at 12months the latest( I don't care how many cries and sleepless nights I get, it will be broken) but would you give the paci back if LO starts sucking fingers?
Angelina6709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

All of my boys are/were thumb suckers. None of them gave it up at a year. They like to do it to go to sleep when they are upset it in the car. ODS stopped at four. We started limiting it around 3 during the day time only. Now at 4 1/2 he completely stopped on his own.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I sucked my thumb til I was 11. Only to go to sleep of course. I went to sleep overs, whatever, I wasn't embarrassed about it. My parents tried putting nasty stuff on my thumb (& then thumbs because I'd just switch to my other hand) but I would somehow suck it off or wipe it off. They also tried having me wear mittens to bed. My mom & I laugh about it now, it really wasn't a huge deal to any of us & I stopped on my own. I obviously don't do it anymore. Lol.

I did end up with braces for 18 months, but they were mostly for cosmetic reasons, I had an overbite.

Anyways, DS wouldn't take either, DD1 was the same, but had a super short paci phase around 3 months. DD2 takes a paci to go to sleep on her own, but she also nurses to sleep or falls asleep in the sling or carrier, such an easy baby. She only started taking the paci a month ago (she's 16 weeks) but I'm glad, I hope it's not a short phase like DD1.

I'm in the camp of you don't really get to choose how they prefer to soothe themselves. IME, most babies prefer the breast, but not all.
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote