Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dairy reaction? Gross

DD has had a dairy sensitivity since birth. She'll be 5 tomorrow and we have been able to add some dairy back in- yogurt, baked goods, pancakes, cheez its. Her teacher gave her some pudding a few months ago and she had a diarrhea accident after. i cant' remember how long after though. She had the pudding at 10am then either that night or the next (she was wearing a pull-up, she's still wets at night) sometime over night she had her accident. She has not had that kind of accident ever.

On Monday night I made some cream soup (against my better judgement- with half milk and half broth). It was baked in a veggie stromboli. I thought it might be ok because it was being baked. no flames please- it was an experiment and experimenting is the only way to know how much dairy she can tolerate. She ate very little of it. She ate all her crust which did have some soup soaked in. Today (Wed) at noon she had a diarrhea accident- on the floor. Dh said she woke up crying last night before he went to bed but wouldn't tell him what was wrong. She just went back to sleep. Then this morning after the fact she tells me her tummy was hurting but felt better after she went potty. She said it didn't hurt when I pressed it. She obviously doesn't feel well this morning.

I don't know whether to think its from the milk or she has a virus. it might help if I could remember if the reaction was the same day or next day from the pudding. Has it been too long for that kind of reaction? The pudding reaction is new to us, until around 3 diary always caused constipation, gas and stomach pain. the yogurt has made her more regular so doc said stay with it and everything baked hasn't had any effect (except things with butter, butter does bad). The pudding was the first time she has had that kind of reaction. I don't know. We stayed away from story time today because I didn't want her to spread it if it is a virus. She is warm, but no real fever. my gut says its the milk, but that might be just because I debated for a really long time on whether to use the milk for the soup. I might just feel guilty.

And on another note- anyone know how to get diarrhea out of carpet? i have some powdered carpet cleaner sitting on it right now, but not sure that is going to work.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy reaction? Gross

My DD1 had sensitivity to cows milk but other than that she did ok with other dairy. She would have gas, bloating, constapation, and sometimes diarrhea. We switched her to soymilk and that helped a lot. We have omitted a lot of dairy from our diet for health reasons now. With the uncontrollable diarrhea, it could be a virus or the milk. Just make sure she stays hydrated and if it continues I guess it could be considered a virus depending on how long those episodes lasted before.
My DD has a virus for about 2 wks and thats what it mainly consisted of, uncontrollable diarrhea. Sorry, you and your DD have to deal with that:/ Hope she gets better soon!
As for the carpet, I would use spray and wash or dishsoap with hot water to scrub it out?!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 07-25-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WTH...Triple post??

Last edited by mommycass; 07-25-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

When my kids react to milk, it usually doesn't last more than a day. At least, no noticable reaction after 24 hours.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try the Woolite pet urine/feces spray cleaner for the carpet. It works great on cat diarrhea.

My instinct tells me it was the dairy and not a virus. Poor girl.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I understand it can take up to 3 weeks to get the dairy out of her system. My husband has soy allergies. He can tolerate it occasionally. It can build up though. If he has it several times too close together he will react even though each amount individually wouldn't have been a problem. It is possible she is having similar issues with dairy.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I used to eat a LOT of dairy and then discovered a year ago that I have a dairy allergy. By eliminating dairy out of my diet I was able to figure out just how many symptoms I had that I never recognized. Looking back I've probably had the problem for years and never knew it but it probably contributed (or caused?) my kidney stones. For a long time it was a very silent problem.

When I got pregnant last year the symptoms got really terrible. Lethargy (and I"m VERY active normally that was KILLER), vaginitis, swollen joints, dry eye, head aches, rashes, weird gallbaldder pain etc.... Part of the reason I never linked the symptoms to the milk is because it could take 24-48 hours to start reacting.

On a whim I eliminated dairy in an attempt to save my gallbladder from surgery. I read that it could take 3-4 weeks to get out of my system. Sure enough at 3.5 weeks I felt fine.

It definitely sounds to me like your little girl could have a dairy reaction of some kind. I would be very leary of trying to figure out the tolerance level of a little girl who doesn't know her own body all that well yet. Heck it took me years as an adult to figure out. I would go out and buy a 1/2 gallon of almond milk and use that for her. You can use it pretty easily in your cooking. I loved dairy but found the transition to dairy free pretty easy.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post

It definitely sounds to me like your little girl could have a dairy reaction of some kind. I would be very leary of trying to figure out the tolerance level of a little girl who doesn't know her own body all that well yet. Heck it took me years as an adult to figure out. I would go out and buy a 1/2 gallon of almond milk and use that for her. You can use it pretty easily in your cooking. I loved dairy but found the transition to dairy free pretty easy.
We have been mostly dairy free for 4 years- ever since we got her diagnoses at 1. She also has nut and coconut allergies so we use soy products in place of cow's milk. I know the reaction after the pudding was related to the pudding- I think the teacher got confused since she can eat yogurt. I think she thought that she just couldn't have cheese or drink milk. I was just trying to figure out if this reaction was too delayed to be related to the soup. Over the last year we have successfully added in most cooked dairy. The soup, cheese and butter are all that are left. She will likely never drink cow's milk so we will never try that. that will be up to her as an adult. And based on previous reactions we will not likely give her straight up butter or baked things with a lot of butter. She is very verbal and we are under an allergist's care. She tells us when she feels anything different.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Ellasundies
Registered Users

My point was that if I were in your position I wouldn't be giving her ANY dairy as problems can go undetected. She may be vocal about any issues she has but she DOES NOT know her body yet and IME and the experiences of others I've talked to, the problems can be VERY subtle. I was a 28 year old and I knew/know my body very well and STILL didn't pick up on all the symptoms for years. She is only 5 and does not know her body very well.

If she is having a problem with milk proteins then ANY dairy IS causing her problems. Your just unaware of it. For a very long time my only problem was kidney stones.

I'm going through the same problem with my soon to be 6 year old. He's not getting ANY diary.

And to answer your question directly. No her reaction was not too delayed to be the soup. Most of the time my reactions don't happen until 2 days later.

Last edited by Ellasundies; 07-25-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote