Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy reaction? Gross

I appreciate the advice. DD was completely dairy free for 2 years. For children born with dairy sensitivities a large number usually out grow them before they reach 5. Most outgrow them before 2. Most of the people we know and have talked to reintroduce dairy before the 2nd b-day. These are kids that were diagnosed within the first months of life. However since we did not get her diagnoses until she was 1- we were told she had colic even when she wasn't meeting her milestones- she wasn't able to repair. We are well aware of problems that dairy can cause- my mom was allergic (dd is not allergic it is a sensitivity) and dd had low muscle tone, severe pain, eczema, and delayed gross motor skills (due to stomach pain and malabsorption). She had physical therapy for 2 years. She is now healthy and quite possibly outgrowing the sensitivity.

She has a fever now so it does appear to be a virus.

Advertisement

Last edited by jbug_4; 07-25-2012 at 06:29 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

my ds is in the same boat... he couldnt have any form of dairy, even whey, or casein, or any other by products til after he was 4.... he can handle most forms of dairy now, aside from straight milk, and he'll be 5 in october. by products were the first he could handle, followed by baked in stuff, then cheese and yogurt. up until a few months ago, he said ice cream made his tummy hurt, but now hes ok with it. i dont know that he'll ever do straight milk either. he doesnt have any other food issues, so he drinks whatever kind of "milk" is on sale, or what he asks for a the store, at home, and soy milk at daycare.
i think kids can handle more than adults give them credit for sometimes. he got into an argument with my dad at his 3rd birthday when my dad tried to give him yogurt. he kept saying he cant have it, it has cow milk, and my dad was telling him it was ok, til a stranger stepped in and told my dad ds was right, lol

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #13
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife2002 View Post
my ds is in the same boat... he couldnt have any form of dairy, even whey, or casein, or any other by products til after he was 4.... he can handle most forms of dairy now, aside from straight milk, and he'll be 5 in october. by products were the first he could handle, followed by baked in stuff, then cheese and yogurt. up until a few months ago, he said ice cream made his tummy hurt, but now hes ok with it. i dont know that he'll ever do straight milk either. he doesnt have any other food issues, so he drinks whatever kind of "milk" is on sale, or what he asks for a the store, at home, and soy milk at daycare.
i think kids can handle more than adults give them credit for sometimes. he got into an argument with my dad at his 3rd birthday when my dad tried to give him yogurt. he kept saying he cant have it, it has cow milk, and my dad was telling him it was ok, til a stranger stepped in and told my dad ds was right, lol
lol. Yeah she is allergic to cantaloupe too. She loved it from 1 to 2. Then she started getting rashes around her mouth. But cinnamon and almost all spices caused around her mouth to get red. Then one day she just down right refused to eat cantaloupe any more. We thought the reaction might have been caused by spices or by some of the other fruit she was eating since she had been eating cantaloupe for so long. She was about 2 1/2 the day she decided she wasn't eating cantaloupe again. She would turn her head away, push it away, all stuff that she never did to any food before. So we stopped trying. When she was retested before starting school we had them go ahead and test for cantaloupe just so we would now. She is allergic. Not bad but she is definitely allergic. They definitely know more then adults give them credit for. they are probably more in tune then most adults just because they haven't been taught to ignore their bodies yet.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read many of the responses.

I have a pretty strong dairy sensitivity. What happens is I eat dairy and within a few hours, I'm doubled over in pain and on the toilet sometimes with a trashcan in my lap too. It does hurt....until I pass it all. Then it's gone. It has woken me at night many times. It doesn't last more than a couple of hours and usually only 30 minutes or so from start to finish. Literally, it only lasts as long as it takes to clear out of my system...always in the form of diarrhea. I definitely think it's possible she has a dairy sensitivity (which is different than an allergy which causes you to break out in a rash and can be very severe to even deadly), but if it has last all day, I would think she might have a virus this time.

After I realized I am definitely lactose intolerant (fairly recently), I started researching. Different dairy items have different amounts of lactose and will cause different severity of symptoms or even none at all. Ice cream and milk usually being the worse culprits and yogurt not causing an issue for most people. I have been experimenting too. It's hard to find the balance and when I do experiment, I am always nervous about how my body is going to react. I make sure I'm staying home too.

And, yes, even kids can know they shouldn't eat something. When I was younger, I wouldn't eat asparagus, but I ate it once anyway when I was in elementary school and reacted by getting sick afterward. We all assumed I just had a virus, but I refused to eat it ever again saying I just really didn't like it. As an adult, I decided I was being silly and started trying to eat it. I ate it a few times and sure enough, my reactions (same as when I eat dairy) got worse and worse each time until I realized I was definitely sensitive to it.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to add that cooking the dairy has no affect on the amount of lactose in it. Lactose is what causes the reaction. Basically, your body is missing the enzymes needed to break it down. It is a total bummer because I LOVE cream sauces.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
breefawn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm sorry your LO had that reaction. We're a dairy-free household, and there are lots of great subs put there. We still have Alfredo sauce, grilled cheese, Mac and cheese, etc. there's a great book called The Complete Guide to Vegan Substitutions and it's full of ways to avoid dairy. I agree with PP that even though she seems to tolerate some things, she'll feel better being dairy free. You can use earth balance instead of butter, soy or rice milk for cooking, etc.

As for the poo in your carpet...if you know anyone who uses Melaleuca (no, I don't sell it), their solumel gets EVERYTHING out. DS had a major dairy blow out (MIL gave him yogurt and it was everywhere. I used the solumel and you wouldn't even know it happened now
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

we had a cinnamon sensitivity for a while, but i think it was caused by an overload... he was fine with it, then we made cinnamon applesauce ornaments for christmas, and after that, it would make him break out. i took him of it for a while, and now he's fine again. i think we just over did it.

i think some kids are just more sensitive than others. hes got lots of things that make him rashy, but i have no idea what they all are, lol... i listen to him, because he knows his body, and he tells me if something doesnt feel right (like when he's about to be car sick, eek!! he got that from me, lol, although it didnt start til he switched forward facing)

sometimes i consider going back to at least mostly dairy free, but i've always been a dairy addict, and after almost 3 years of nursing, it was nice to have it again, although i still dont really drink milk. i think he still gets some tummy problems sometimes, but i dont think it bothers him too much. sometimes i think i have issues with it too.

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!

Last edited by armywife2002; 07-27-2012 at 10:50 PM.
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #18
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I have a lactose sensitivity that comes and goes and sounds very similar. It was really bad for a while but no only bothers me if I have a ton.

Regular milk, soft serve ice cream (THE WORST), and creamy sauces were a complete no go.

Hard cheese in moderation and yoghurt were generally ok. Milk baked in things like a cake never bothered me.

I would get gassy bloating and then the diarrhea later, but as an adult it was really just irritating, not a crisis.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies
My point was that if I were in your position I wouldn't be giving her ANY dairy as problems can go undetected. She may be vocal about any issues she has but she DOES NOT know her body yet and IME and the experiences of others I've talked to, the problems can be VERY subtle. I was a 28 year old and I knew/know my body very well and STILL didn't pick up on all the symptoms for years. She is only 5 and does not know her body very well.

If she is having a problem with milk proteins then ANY dairy IS causing her problems. Your just unaware of it. For a very long time my only problem was kidney stones.

I'm going through the same problem with my soon to be 6 year old. He's not getting ANY diary.

And to answer your question directly. No her reaction was not too delayed to be the soup. Most of the time my reactions don't happen until 2 days later.
I agree.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a delayed reaction to dairy. I always get intense gas and bloating and then diarrhea for about two days afterward. I will go a couple of months without it and try a little bit and the same thing happens every time. Sometimes, it does happen two days after I eat it, but it always happens. I can't do any, no butter,no milk, cheese, yogurt, it all bothers me. I use coconut or almond milk.