Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:
Milk bags

Waht do you use to freeze?store milk? I am using gerber siplock bags and they seem to leak when trying to defrost. Have you found any you LOVE?

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Milk bags

Same thing happened to me with Gerber bags. they are shoddy. I use The first years brand. qty.25 and they have a stand up base and easy pour tops. they are great! found tem at target for about $4, I think.
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a fan of bags at all because I always seem to make a mess either getting the milk in or getting it out! When I used bags, I did like the Lansinoh ones (I was using Lansinoh breast pads and they usually came with samples of the bags included).

Lots of people have told me to use ice cube trays. You can measure yours but each cube is roughly an ounce so you freeze the milk in the trays and then just put it in a regular ziplock bag with the date. I did that some, but with the quantities of milk I was freezing, it often got to be a pain.

My personal favorite was babyfood jars. My mom runs a daycare so we always had plenty of empty jars on hand. They come in 2, 4, and 6 ounce sizes, store neatly in the freezer, are easy to write on, and can be sterilized or run through the dishwasher. I usually kept different sizes in the freezer so I could easily grab just what I needed. It worked great for us. If you're not using jarred babyfood, check with friends who have babies...I also use them for crafts and never have any problems getting "donations" from everyone around.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use the Lansinoh brand bags. They have worked great for us, and we have never had a leak.
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I used glass jars with my first, I wish I remember what brand they were, I lost them when I moved and they were spensive. I know the 3 oz nestle goodstart formula jars fit perfectly on an evenflo pump, I got them from the hospital and gave the formula to my toddler lol
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I love both the lansohlin (sp?) and ameda breastmilk storage bags, although the ameda ones require folding/using a twisty tie. Be careful using items not meant to store breastmilk as they may leak harmful chemicals into your precious ebm. (Ice cube trays, any kinds of bags/bottles not meant for breastmilk storage). I know whoel foods sell trays similiar to ice cube trays for storing home-made baby food, but I don't know if they are safe for ebm. I generally use ameda breastmilk storage bottles and bags or similac breastmilk storage bottles (they came from the NICU).
Old 06-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

hmm let me go check we use gerber seal and go and I have yet to have a problem with them
Audriannasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was donating milk I loved the bags that came as free samples in the lansinoh disposable breast pads... I seem to remember them having a double ziplock on them... but that was only from a packaging & freezing standpoint... my ds would never drink the defrosted milk so I don't have alot of expereince thawing it! Hope you find a solution soon! I know that some adoptive moms like glass or plastic reusable containers for storing (I've even heard of some using new urine specimine jars), but they take longer to thaw & are difficult to thaw under running water (struggled with this as a child care provider!)

Hope you find a great solution that works for your family/caregiver soon!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote