Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Teaching about danger/emergencies without scaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I teach the preschoolers in my house that they can't open the door, because they don't know if there's a stray dog out there, or if there's something outside the door waiting to be let in. (a pigeon got in this year and scared them to death, so it's enough to say "don't open the door to pigeons") This makes sense to little kids.
this made my snort my coke out my nose. i dont know why. but i was just envisioning all these little kids running screaming from a pigeon. hilarious. and my ds would totally relate to the "don't open the door" thing if he'd experienced something like that i told him not to let pigeons in.

this has been a very interesting thread. ds is almost 3, and i'm impressed by 3 yr olds who know to call 911 and such. maybe i'll have to start talking to him about this stuff. i don't THINK he'll worry. probably just tell everyone we see "mommy say, if there a fire, i run outside" it will get old hearing it, but i guess that's how he'll remember!

Advertisement

Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think its good to be general but sometimes I think little ones can get confused. I don't want my kids running off dialing 911 because the dogs got out of the yard. That is an emergency but one we handle. Or if a sibling gets hurt and is bleeding?! I just think that sometimes we should be more specific. Or say ask mommy or daddy first if we are around. I can just see little ones not understanding what a general emergency is. If I started a fire on the stove that I am confident I can control and the smoke alarm is going off I wouldn't want the fire dept. Showing up, lol! But if I tell my LOs, if there is smoke everywhere and you see fire on the walls get out and go to the neighbors to call 911.
I dont know maybe I'm overanalyzing, just a thought?!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 07-26-2012 at 02:46 PM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote