Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Kryster
Registered Users

My Mood:
overnight diaper STINK

I've been using kirkland brand liquid detergent on ds' diapers. I have all microfibre inserts (flips stay dry).
he was getting red bum overnight, so I switched to Nellie's.
we have hard water.

I used 2 scoops of nellies and washed the diapers. I did a cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse, and then I washed them again in just hot - no soap to be sure there was no residue.

now i've got serious over night diaper stink and red bum.
smells like serious ammonia and just bad
wtd?

Advertisement

Kryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wish I had useful info for you I love nellies and my wash routine is similar to yours but I do add a bit of bac out to my first cold rinse. I use one scoop of Nellies, however I don't really use any microfiber because I'd heard so many complaints about stink and I like a trim diaper so I use mainly hemp. I've never had any smells, or redness (yet... Fingers crossed) I actually am not sure of my water hardness, test strips are on the way. I hope you can get it figured out
Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: overnight diaper STINK

Bacteria. They need to be disinfected to make sure it is all out. I would wash again with more detergent and 1/4 cup of bleach. Rinsing your night diapers each morning might also help but first disinfect. Less detergent will not cure ammonia especially with hard water. If you had residue you would also have repelling but otherwise it's safe to assume they just are not getting clean. I would use as much detergent as you would for a full laod of regular laundry or dirty towels.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
One scoop is the recommended amount for any large load
Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree you have a bacteria issue. The diapers need to be stripped. I toss them all the bath tub with hot hot water and a couple tablespoons of Dawn dish soap. Stomp on them a few times and leave over night. In the morning do a rinse and spin then a normal wash. You might want to change your soap, we have seriously hard water here and we have great luck with Tide. A few months back I stripped our diapers and switched to Tide and have not had any stink since.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Kryster
Registered Users

My Mood:

what kind of tide are you using??
Kryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, I hate to say this, but I have been dealing with this type of thing off and on for the past 4 years, and finally gave in and started using main-stream detergent for my diapers- I use Tide HE Original to the line 1, presoak in the detergent, wash heavy duty hot/cold, then run a shorter full cycle hot/cold just to rinse well (no detergent). If I still have stink (because I am trying to make up for using the natural detergents for so long)- I add 1 scoop of RLR which strips my diapers and then they smell FRESH!!! It has been wonderful, and since I rinse them so well, there is no rash from detergent buildup. Even on my 2 & 4 yo, who use cloth overnight, no bad stink!!! The mainstream detergents just have ingredients that soften your water, unlike the natural detergents. When you have hard water, those minerals can really buildup in your diapers. Also, if you use too little detergent, you will have an imbalance between the detergent and the minerals in hard water, resulting in diapers that are not cleaned well enough. Believe me, I am very naturally minded and hate the idea of using mainstream detergent, but it is what allows me to keep using cloth! And I have a goal to get a water softener, which would allow me to use whatever detergent I choose!!! HTH! (and sorry this is so long!!)
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
beegee9
Registered Users

I'm about to bleach my toddler's overnight dipes (just posted this similar topic). I've been wanting to do it for forever but thought it would ruin the pretty colors of my dipes. But it seems no amount of hot water/detergent/Dawn-soaking can kill that pungeant stank!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryster View Post
what kind of tide are you using??
Original Tide HE
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
Mrs Brownee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I keep hearing that original tide is CD safe... I am having the stink issue overnight as well, but only overnight... I will try stripping with dawn...
Mrs Brownee is offline   Reply With Quote