Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: My first c-section - so many questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post
When the wound has already started to heal but opens up a little, I've heard you have to pack it with gauze to keep it from oozing or something like that. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that.
I haven't heard of this, I didn't do this, they put a gauze on you while in the hospital but removed it before I left.

Advertisement

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #32
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I won't repeat a lot of the great advise you've already gotten, but wanted to reassure that c/s don't have to be scary. I hope you get that little one to turn and stay head down- If you can confirm her head down(mine I could always feel their hard head on my pubic bone with my hand) my midwife recommends spending a lot of time sitting on my birth ball and doing light bouncing and rolling to help the pelvis open up and head engage.

I had my third c/s this past March, and it was my best one out of the 3. First was unplanned, typical failure to progress/naive patient after 13 hours of pit induced labor at 42 weeks. Second was planned VBAC, but I chickened out and changed my mind after 3 hours natural labor that then stopped and I was sick of being pg.

This last I originally planned VBA2C, but a few weeks before due date, decided to schedule c/s due to my horrible back pain (previous injury/surgery) and both legs were numb. This c/s was different- I had a great OB/MW team that worked together to give me a family centered c/s- they lowered the drape during the delivery so I could watch, delivered DD slowly so the incision could squeeze around her some, didn't clamp the cord immediately. They did take her to the warmer to do a brief assesment, but then brought her back to me still covered with vernix/blood, etc, and took my gown down, removed the EKG leads, and laid her skin to skin on my chest, where she was able to latch on and was nursing before we left the operating room.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #33
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You canalso say them to turn down the lights a little as baby comes, lower the curtain and hand baby right to you as if it were a vaginal birth so you can bond. I know moms who have done than and nursed right away after as well in the OR as pampered mama did above.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #34
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

For the skin closure, is glue an option? I had glue for my (only) c-section and it was great.

Breastfeeding... I was never able to actually nurse my baby, but on my end, everything worked exactly the same as if I'd had a vaginal birth. With my first two births (full-term spontaneous drug-free vaginal deliveries), my milk came in right at 60 hours postpartum. With my c-section (25 week emergency under general anesthesia), my milk also came in right at 60 hours postpartum. My c-section was just before 8:00 in the morning, and I was finally "conscious" enough to sit up a little bit at about 4:00 that afternoon to try out the pump for the first time.

Walking was the next day, probably about 24-36 hours after surgery. About 16 hours after surgery, my nurse helped me sit up in bed and dangle my legs over the side, and that was ENOUGH for that first try.

My surgery was on Sunday and I was discharged on Wednesday. On Tuesday, when they said I'd be going home the next day, I did NOT feel ready, but by the time Wednesday afternoon came, I was physically feeling much better. At home, getting in and out of bed was a CHORE for another several days, so if you can have someone with you to help lift you up and down, that would be good.

Try not to laugh, cough or sneeze those first several days. This was hard for me b/c my two-year-old was just FUNNY all the time and I wanted to laugh at him but it hurt so bad, lol. Mom took my kids back to her house with her though and they stayed with her for an extended time.

By two weeks postpartum, I was feeling fine. I could walk normally (albeit slowly... I walked slower than I felt like going, since I didn't want to cause any undue inner stress). I figured if I was hurting then I was doing too much, and I erred on the side of doing too little just to make sure I wouldn't have any extra injuries to have to deal with while healing.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

I recommend looking at http://www.seprafilm.com/. I think I would also check out http://www.ican-online.org/
I would want to keep my VBAC options open so I'm thinking you need to make sure the multiple cuts are the correct cuts to allow a VBAck. I think you need 2 sets of stitches not staples.
As for nursing, you will want to get the baby as soon as possible. the meds should be nursing safe. you can get up and walk even with the cat in if they attach you to a portable pole thing.
You do not want the med button pushing thing because then you need an adult in the room anytime you want to hold your baby.
As long as you feed on demand nursing should go great. In fact I think the meds make the first two weeks of nursing less painful. the meds make the time harder to remember too though so use as needed but not to excess.
I would ask to be allowed to go into labor naturally instead of planning the surgery.

Also I know there are midwives out there that will deliver a breech baby if you decide surgery is not for you.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #36
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpie View Post
Your usual life will be much slower for 6 weeks after surgery. It's going to make taking care of your other kids a lot more difficult. For instance, you won't be able to lift anything over 15 pounds or drive a car for 6 weeks. Have DH take time off work or a family member help out for that recovery time.
I was cleared for driving at my two-week appointment, but the lifting, not until six weeks.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #37
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All five of my kiddos were delivered via c/s and honestly the recovery was not that bad. I've had so many of my vaginal delivery friends have waaaaaay worse recovery than I have for any of them. My average hospital stay was two or three nights. With one I went home in 48 hours after the birth. My DH is great about helping and he is off for two weeks (his work gives him paternity pay) with each child....ends up being a week and a half by the time I am out of the hospital.

You've gotten a ton of great advice, but honestly some of the things are dependent on hospital policy. All of my babies were allowed with me in recovery (except my first due to breathing difficulties) and nursed within 30-45 minutes of being born. I was also encourage to sit up (reclined) in recovery. And walking/catheter removal happened within 12 hours of the c/s.

As for driving...I was driving within a week of the c/s. The biggest reason for the driving limitation is the narcotics that are prescribed as pain relief. If you are able to be off the meds, you can drive. I took myself to my follow-up appointments with my OB and the baby to his ped appt this time by myself.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions....my c/s were not scary, awful experiences and I wish the same for you. Ask all you can about hospital policy to help you get a better feel for what your hospital will/will not allow for. That should give you a clearer picture. My last delivery was at the same hospital most of my others were delivered at and they had just started the process to become "baby friendly" and it was fabulous! I hope you are able to get the same support!!
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #38
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you mamas! I am reading every post and taking notes, you are all so very helpful.

We are done having kids so I'm worried about VBACs, I'm more worried about healing without too much pain. I think I'm going to go with sutures, double inside and out. I hate the feeling that my insides are going to fall out and I really don't want to deal with staples. I'm starting to come to terms, I find myself crying every now and then and then I'll be ok. I just can't wait to meet her.
My OB is wonderful and I know I will be in good hands with her. DH will be off work for 2 weeks and then I'll have my mom for a week. The kids will be at school during the day so it will just be me and the baby. We have a comfy recliner downstairs along with a nice pack n play so I'm sure I'll be living in that for a while so I don't have to climb the stairs except to take a shower every couple of days. Plus we have an amazing church that will provide meals for 2 weeks. It will be ok, it has to be. I just need to breathe and leave it up to God, he is the one in control and I just need to understand his plan.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #39
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Turns out I didnt need a csection after all!! She flipped head down at the ultrasound the day before I was scheduled for my section! I went into labor yesterday and after 4 hours I had a wonderful vaginal birth. Thank you so much for your answers and suggestions
Old 08-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #40
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations! I'm so glad you didn't have to a through a c-section after all. Enjoy your new little girl.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote