Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else's kid a chigger magnet??

DS comes home everyday with a new chigger bite he's got them around his diaper area, on his neck, on his head (I used to get there all the time!). Is there a way to help reduce the bites? Bug spray? Or anything? I feel so bad for him

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_brooke
DS comes home everyday with a new chigger bite he's got them around his diaper area, on his neck, on his head (I used to get there all the time!). Is there a way to help reduce the bites? Bug spray? Or anything? I feel so bad for him
What is a chigger?
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes

What is a chigger?
You've never had a chigger bite? They're little bugs that like to bite around your underwear line and stuff and they ITCH!!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else's kid a chigger magnet??

I know what they are, but I've never had one and neither have my kids. But, my boys are tick magnets. I REALLY hate it. My DD hasn't had any, but my 4 boys all get them, many of them. I worry about Lime.

Sorry yours is suffering.

PS - I'm a mosquito magnet. I've always gotten tons of bites. I'll get 8 to everyone else's one or two. No fun! I hate it, but it is what it is.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 07-26-2012 at 01:02 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

ugh.. I'm a chigger magnet

but.. yes.. there are some very strong chemicals that you can spray on clothes and wash to fix it in. but, I personally wouldn't use it on my own clothes, so I can't see doing it for my child.

The only thing I've actually used was powered um... the stuff that smells like rotten eggs.. it's yellow.. um.. googling... sulfur. We used to keep a tennis ball in a sock in a bucket of powdered sulfur, I believe. And before going into the field, we'd sorta bang the sock around the bottoms of our pants, etc. Supposed to work.

but even then, I'm not sure that's a good idea for kiddos.

They like tight moist places. If your kid will go commando in a jumper, that might reduce the places that a chigger would go and therefore reduce their 'bites'. Hmm.. nvm, he's still in a diaper....

I'm so sorry.. ugh, I hate chigger season.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes View Post
What is a chigger?
They are little mite like bugs that only really live in the Southeast or warmer climates. They are nasty little bugs like ticks but small.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/article.htm

I'd give benydryl if he has raise or really red marks. There is also a benydryl cream that is an antihistamine that can be applied to the area. Other than that Calamine helps the itch.

A field/tick spray works but I don't know if I would put that on a toddler. Try mowing the yard so it is short and throw out the white crystal type mothballs before it rains. (So they will dissolve and no little ones will eat them ... Or just put them out and water the grass.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/article.htm

I'd give benydryl if he has raise or really red marks. There is also a benydryl cream that is an antihistamine that can be applied to the area. Other than that Calamine helps the itch.

A field/tick spray works but I don't know if I would put that on a toddler. Try mowing the yard so it is short and throw out the white crystal type mothballs before it rains. (So they will dissolve and no little ones will eat them ... Or just put them out and water the grass.)
Thanks! Maybe we'll try Benadryl or some calamine. I'm always afraid of too much with a toddler. He gets most of them at daycare (she said her kids have them too). It probably doesn't help that it's been 100*+ forever it seems and he whole month of August is projected to be triple digits I'm sick of the heat!

And...I had no idea that chiggers weren't everywhere. We're in the Midwest (MO) and always have them!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_brooke

You've never had a chigger bite? They're little bugs that like to bite around your underwear line and stuff and they ITCH!!
maybe we don't have them in Canada ?
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't THINK they live well up here in the cold, mommy... I mostly got them when we lived down south.

although, I just did a search and they are in Idaho as well. so, that's almost Canada :P