Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Anyone tried Love and Logic's method for allowance and chores?

In the Love and Logic book he says not to pay for chores because doing chores are just part of being a member of the family. He says to give an allowance each week. And then when the child doesn't want to do their regular household chores, they have the choice-- they can do the chore in a timely manner, or they can "pay" mommy to do the chore. Sounds like a brilliant plan, especially since it seems a little more motivating. My kids would be a lot more shocked to lose money than to never have gotten it in the first place.

Has anyone done this? How well did it work? I really want to try it. My 6 year old is always begging for money, but I have yet to make our current chore chart work very smoothly.

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We don't do allowance but if we did this is how we'd do it.

I love love & logic. Used it a ton when teaching.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

We dont do allowance. We do however have extra jobs to earn money above and beyond their daily chores
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone tried Love and Logic's method for allowance and chores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
We dont do allowance. We do however have extra jobs to earn money above and beyond their daily chores
We've kind of done this too. They have their regular chores but they can't earn money unless they finish those chores first. But, if they aren't motivated to do the extra chores for money, I have a really hard time getting them to finish their regular chores too.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

I grew up with a similar model, and will use it myself, except we couldn't pay anyone to do our chores if we didn't want to. Not doing chores led to a consequence, but that was separate from allowance. I never thought that I could just skip my chores. We had our money that we had to budget (age appropriately) and those values have helped me to this day
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have tried this and I will warn that my kids still think that they are getting paid for chores. I can't make them understand that the money and the chores are not linked because to be quite honest in a way they are. If you are saying "here I'm giving you this money and it has nothing to do with whether or not you do chores." but then you turn around and take money away when they don't do chores the kids tend to wind up linking the money to the chores. Kearnan understands that he gets allowance and he does chores and one has nothing to do with the other. He has never once balked at doing chores and he does extra things for me (like killing bugs or taking out the veggie trimmings for the compost) just because that is the kind of kid he is. Tharen can not get the concept that he is getting paid to do chores out of his head. He will insist that he has to do his chores so he gets his allowance. That isn't how it works but he is certain it is. He still does his chores and has never once refused to do them. We have never told him the two are linked so I have no idea how he decided they were. I just thought I would give the warning.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I have tried this and I will warn that my kids still think that they are getting paid for chores. I can't make them understand that the money and the chores are not linked because to be quite honest in a way they are. If you are saying "here I'm giving you this money and it has nothing to do with whether or not you do chores." but then you turn around and take money away when they don't do chores the kids tend to wind up linking the money to the chores. Kearnan understands that he gets allowance and he does chores and one has nothing to do with the other. He has never once balked at doing chores and he does extra things for me (like killing bugs or taking out the veggie trimmings for the compost) just because that is the kind of kid he is. Tharen can not get the concept that he is getting paid to do chores out of his head. He will insist that he has to do his chores so he gets his allowance. That isn't how it works but he is certain it is. He still does his chores and has never once refused to do them. We have never told him the two are linked so I have no idea how he decided they were. I just thought I would give the warning.
Thanks for that perspective. It's true that they are still linked, but I like the idea that instead of just taking money away, they are paying me to do their jobs. I'm going to have to carefully word things when I introduce this method. But I appreciate the warning.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat

We've kind of done this too. They have their regular chores but they can't earn money unless they finish those chores first. But, if they aren't motivated to do the extra chores for money, I have a really hard time getting them to finish their regular chores too.
Oh here if they don't do their chore for the day they have to do everyone else's the next. If they don't do it the second day they lose all privileges for a week and are required to do everyone's chores for the week. I must tell you a chore is rarely missed here however we are a family of seven and need everyone's help to keep a semi- orderly house.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
This is why we don't pay for chores.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's an interesting concept, but I would not be able to get past the idea of just handing my kids money for no real reason (at least in their eyes.) As adults we have to work for our money and we have to take care of our responsibilities, so I feel the need to be consistent with that model.

My kids have to take care of their belongings (make their beds, keep their rooms tidy, etc) and clean up after themselves (clear the table, pick up toys, etc.) without compensation. We all do our part to keep our home nice and nobody gets paid for it. If they refused to do their chores, they would lose the ability to do extra jobs (helping with yard work, washing the car, etc) for money and privileges could be taken away if it continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
This is what we do.

Last edited by AfWife8405; 07-26-2012 at 06:20 PM.
AfWife8405 is offline   Reply With Quote