Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

What would you do in this situation?

DD1 is 16. She is a high school athlete, she plays soccer. She has never ever been diagnosed with asthma. Last year she began to have breathing problems while at soccer practice/conditioning/tryouts. So we took her to the doc, she described it, he diagnosed it as "exercise induced broncho-spasms." Which, to me, sounds a lot like exercise induced asthma, but whatever. He gave her an inhaler to use during soccer, she was fine.

This year, she did her high school athletic physical at the doc's office, got her inhaler for the soccer season, all good. She in fact went most of the summer without the inhaler because she "lost" it. Well, this week has been conditioning week, which means some pretty intense workouts. And it's been HOT...like triple digits all week, and they have been working out in the main heat of the day, 3 to 5. She has said she has REALLY struggled breathing. She said that today, she couldn't even DO some of the work outs they were doing, in particular tied to running.

Here's where the dilemma comes in. After practice, some of the girls came to her and gave her a card with cash in it, a good $50 or so. In the card was a note saying they wanted to help her get a new inhaler so she could be a healthy member of the team.

I am really not sure what to do about this. First, we got one script, the insurance didn't cover it, so we had the doc change the script. I don't know if we can even call the doc to get a new one. I am pretty sure that if we called, he would want to actually see her, to talk about what exactly her needs are. Second, IF it turns out that she needs a different inhaler, do we actually USE the money the girls gave her for this?

And finally....honestly...I am not 100% sure that DD1 actually NEEDS the inhaler she has or let alone a new one. She's a bit of a drama queen/hypochondriac and tends to assume or worry that the least little problem or difficulty indicates some huge major issue. I am not really sure how much of her "breathing problem" is actually a problem and how much is her assuming that getting short of breath due to activity like any other normal person, indicates that she has some major issue. In addition, the ONLY time she needs this inhaler is when she is at soccer. She started riding her bike for 45 minutes to an hour, every evening she didn't have soccer practice or conditioning, and she never ever mentions needing the thing when bike riding. Yes the bike riding is a bit more casual, but it's still activity. She doesn't need it when we swim, which we don't do often, but enough, since the pool is right here in the neighborhood. I mean it's certainly possible that soccer is the only activity that she's doing that's intense enough to initiate breathing difficulties, I don't know. I also find it a bit interesting that while she's had "problems" throughout the summer conditioning, they have only gotten "this bad" these last two weeks...which were the only time she has had this inhaler.

I also suspect that she's been telling the rest of the team that we are broke or having money problems or something. I am positive that she at least told them that our insurance didn't cover the first one and we had to have the doc call in a different one. And as I said, she's a bit of a drama queen at times, so I can only imagine what she might have told them about our financial situation, to have caused them to take up a collection for her to get a new inhaler.

*sigh* I am just not sure what to do.

ETA: the inhaler cost us $50 after insurance, so I am pretty sure she told them all of that, for them to have given her just the $50 that it cost.

Advertisement

Last edited by happysmileylady; 07-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know about the inhalers or the gift card aspects of your question. But I can attest that my DD only has issues breathing during soccer. Even during gym she is fine most days. We were lucky that we have had this condition for years so we have worked out the fears. It sounds to me that he might be afraid of having a major attack. I would work with her on calm breathing techniques. This helped DD when she had an attack to not make it worse because she got scared. HTH.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would make her give the money back and get her a new inhaler myself. Athletic practice in intense heat IS much different than casual bike riding.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do in this situation?

My 16 yr old sister started having issues with breathing/chest pain during running activities outside. They've done some different testing and haven't really found anything but did prescribe an inhaler. She's very fit and healthy. No issues doing inside running exercises. Not even running on a treadmill. It could be allergy related?! I had the same issues, still do. I don't run outside, except maybe short distances. It's really worse in this recent hot/humid weather, sometimes I feel like I'm gasping for air. I was in JRotc in high school and we did weekly casual platoon runs around our school that didnt bother me. But for our timed mile run, I was bad, I always finished but could not breathe. One time I had to lay down and had to get a ride back to school. It was embarrassing but I could barely stand or breathe and I was not out of shape.
I sympathize with your DD, in my situation, it could get scary. I think its good that she knows when to limit herself. If you do think she is being over dramatic sometimes, I would gently talk to her about it. Maybe she's using it as an excuse to get out of soccer?
As for the $, I would ask your daughter what she thinks is the best idea. Give her that responsibility since she did probably bring a $ situation up to her team. If she is not prescribed another inhaler or doesn't want one I would ultimately give it back but see what her ideas are and work with them?
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 07-26-2012 at 04:55 PM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
I would make her give the money back and get her a new inhaler myself. Athletic practice in intense heat IS much different than casual bike riding.
this.

also, little girls are melodramatic. So, I'd do a lot of talking to her about breathing techniques and anxiety release and explain that she's not going to have a heart attack. I recall going overboard in how I felt regarding the back issues that came up during a school physical. It's probable that she doesn't REALLY understand but thinks she does.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would make her give the money back. If the breathing issues have progressed then she does need to see the doc again. She might need something more then she was originally given. Heat is killer on asthma. Did they do a pulmonary function test? What inhaler was she given? We pay 20% for our scrips our cost for my inhaler costs us $8 (so full price its less then $50), my singulair (for allergies and breathing) costs $35. I have heat and allergy induced breathing problems- no asthma diagnosis. Big thing for me is keeping my allergies under control. PP mentioned allergies is it possible she has allergies.

How important is soccer to her? If you think she is being a drama queen (lots of people have difficulty breathing in heat, but don't need treatment- heat can be oppressive) rather then a real issue how would you feel about mentioning quitting soccer if its causing her such issues? Do you think that either might make her use her inhaler or be more realistic about what is going on (if she is just being dramatic)?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Breathing can progress very quickly to an emergency situation. Personally, I would call the doctor and either get her in for further testing or at least get a replacement inhaler. I would absolutely not use the money that the girls collected to pay for it. Your daughter needs to give that back. It was kindly meant, but inappropriate to use peers' money to pay medical expenses for your family. Sure, $50 is a lot for a medication, but if it is a medicine she needs, then I would figure out a way to pay for it myself.

As far as not having problems during other activity, I highly doubt that riding her bike, even for long distances, or swimming is anything compared to 2 hour conditioning sessions in triple digit weather.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Hitchkids
Registered Users

This comes from someone who had very similar issues to your daughter and a mom who took the exact same approach you are fighting with (she told me I was just trying to get attention, there was nothing wrong with me). Get the inhaler for her. I can pretty much guarantee she needs it. If you feel she lost her other one intentionally or due to negligence on her part, then maybe ask her to pick up some of the cost herself this time around. We just went through this with my 2nd son. He never needed an inhaler before this summer and his allergies got a ton worse which really caused his breathing issues to worsen so he currently has a daily inhaler and an emergency one in addition to a stronger/different allergy medicine. yes, the combo is expensive and it hurts to pay for it all every month but the difference in his breathing and comfort is amazing. I wish my parents had taken me seriously when I was dealing with it. Heck, even after I ended up being taken from school in an ambulance due to breathing issues they still said I was just begging for attention. You know your daughter best but if she truly feels she needs the inhaler, I'd get it.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on what kind of inhaler it is. Is it a "rescue" inhaler or an everyday inhaler? If she really needs it and the dr. will let you get another one and you really don't have the $ right now I would use the gift card. I would also figure out a way to pay these sweet friends back. They are only trying to help and if it prevents your dd from ending up in the hospital then it is worth it.
Most medicine companies have a program if you can't afford the medicines. Also, ask your dr. for free samples and let him/her know you are having trouble affording them. He might be able to write you an rx for a generic instead.
I wanted to add that I ended up with adult asthma that is exercise induced, made worse by cold, allergens, stress and extreme heat. I know how scary it is to feel like you have a plastic bag over your head. If your dd really has asthma then that is what it feels like. It is very scary at first.

Last edited by dmj; 07-26-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added
dmj is offline   Reply With Quote