Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do in this situation?

I would take her to a pulmonologist(sp). I wouldn't take the word of a reg. doctor about something as serious as asthma.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have time to read through all the responses, but I thought I'd mention that I also had breathing problems that were only brought on while I was playing lacrosse (not basketball or bike riding or hiking). The types of drills are really cardio intensive and are really meant to get your lungs working. People who don't normally have problems can definitely have problems doing soccer/lacrosse/field hockey. Another possibility is whatever they treat the soccer field with. Our school treated the fields with a fertilizer to keep it all lush and pretty, but for someone who is prone to breathing problems, this can cause serious problems. I agree teenage girls can be major drama queens sometimes and I don't think it was appropriate that she likely shared personal family information with friends in the way that she did, but breathing problems during sports are very serious. This would not be the time I was calling my daughter's bluff.

ETA: I forgot to mention about the money from the teammates. I would not feel comfortable using that money. I would make DD return the money and explain to her that it is not appropriate to make others think you are destitute when there are other factors at play. She will probably feel embarrassed, but I think it will be a good lesson in what can happen when one stretches the truth. I would make sure you could see her when she returns it though so she doesn't just pocket it in an attempt to avoid an embarrassing conversation with her friends.

Last edited by KLeeCW; 07-26-2012 at 07:59 PM.
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Breathing can progress very quickly to an emergency situation. Personally, I would call the doctor and either get her in for further testing or at least get a replacement inhaler. I would absolutely not use the money that the girls collected to pay for it. Your daughter needs to give that back. It was kindly meant, but inappropriate to use peers' money to pay medical expenses for your family. Sure, $50 is a lot for a medication, but if it is a medicine she needs, then I would figure out a way to pay for it myself.
This. I would ask your doc for a pulminology appointment.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Someone mentioned the possibility of whatever they treat the soccer fields with. That NEVER occurred to me, and is a VERY good possibility. She doesn't deal with "hayfever" type allergies in most cases, however, perfumes and scented lotions do really bother her. And, given that we have been in a pretty severe drought all summer, combined with the heat, whatever they use to treat the fields has probably concentrated itself quite a bit. They practice on a combo of the soccer and the football field, and the football field in particular is very lush and green compared to everything else around it. I am sure it's covered in all sorts of fertilizer and so on.

Another poster mentioned her lost inhaler. It wasn't actually lost, which is why I put it in quotes. We went to the doc for the physical the first week of June, and picked up the inhaler that weekend. I gave it to her after picking it up, and she took it up to her room to put with her soccer stuff. But, for the entire month of June, she didn't bring it with her to soccer conditioning because she said she couldn't find it. Magically, after I forced her to pick up in her room the week of 4th of July, the only week they had no practice, she found it. Which says to me that like any other teenager, she had set it somewhere in the mess in the room and didn't feel like really looking for it, but once she had to clean, it was really just right there. So, she's had it for about 2 weeks now, and it seems to be making things worse, not better.

Which, ultimately, is entirely possible also. Another poster asked about the kind of inhaler. It's a rescue inhaler, rather than something to take all the time. Originally the doc prescribed Proventil brand. That one wasn't covered by the insurance at all. So the pharm called the doc, they sent a new script for this one, which is Pro-Aire I believe. I believe her script last year was Proventil, we were on a different insurance then. The Pro-Aire one was covered, but still cost $45 OOP. The insurance only covered $17. The only time she uses it is during soccer, she truly doesn't need it any other time. Her inhaler last year was a one time script, with refills requiring authorization. She never needed it refilled. She used it only during practices and games, not at any other time.

As for me believing her...it's not necessarily that I DISBELIEVE, rather only that I have a few doubts about her ability to judge the seriousness of the problem herself. Meaning, not necessarily that I think she is causing drama on purpose, just that her general anxiety (that she is seeing a therapist for) is causing her to believe the issue is more serious than it is. That's not necessarily something she can help either, so it's often a balancing act with her when trying to determine her perception vs actual reality. (and just to be clear, I used the term "drama queen" simply as the best descriptive term I could think of, not as an insult, to her or the gad or anything like that.)

Ultimately, I am not opposed to her having an inhaler or to getting a new one. I do think the benefits of having one just in case far outweigh any risks. I just would feel really bad about the other girls on the team being that concerned, over what could be a faulty perception. Does that make sense?

I talked to DH about it when he got home. He suggested a third alternative. He suggested that we go ahead and use the money to get an inhaler. But, that DD1 write an individual personalized thank you letter to each of the 5 girls that were part of the collection and to also invite them to a BBQ and pool party in a couple of weeks to thank them.

I did talk to DD1 a bit more, she is pretty insistent that she didn't share or embellish anything inappropriate regarding our financial situation. She said one of the girls asked her at one point earlier in the week how much her inhaler cost and that she answered that she wasn't sure, she thought it was $40 or $50.

I dunno. I like DH's idea, but I agree with posts that talk about it being a parent's responsibility to cover the child's medical expenses. She doesn't go back to soccer until Monday, so we have until then to discuss it and make a final decision.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Her teammates did something really sweet and I don't think she should return the money. She should do thank you cards! If she gives it back, it opens an entire discussion about why and if she was lying and if the team can trust her and I just don't see it ending well.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #16
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I think the barbaque ideal is good. Even tough I don't think you should keep the money it could be very uncomfortable for all the girls to have it returned to them. Might make her team mates angry. I was thinking it should be used to get the team something. But using it now and then repaying them with a little party in a few weeks is a very good idea.

Check with your doc about samples. My inhaler is ProAir too, but it only costs us $8. Sorry but you have crappy prescription coverage- guess its better then nothing but geez. I bout flipped out when we had to pay $85 for dd's epi-pens, but its better then the $400 it would have cost without ins. Check online for coupons, a lot of companies still offer coupons to get you to try their products if you don't qualify for discounted meds like a pp suggested looking into.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Breathing can progress very quickly to an emergency situation. Personally, I would call the doctor and either get her in for further testing or at least get a replacement inhaler. I would absolutely not use the money that the girls collected to pay for it. Your daughter needs to give that back. It was kindly meant, but inappropriate to use peers' money to pay medical expenses for your family. Sure, $50 is a lot for a medication, but if it is a medicine she needs, then I would figure out a way to pay for it myself.

As far as not having problems during other activity, I highly doubt that riding her bike, even for long distances, or swimming is anything compared to 2 hour conditioning sessions in triple digit weather.
This! My BFF growing up had athletic induced asthma. She was a swimmer. She could bike casually, do indoor aerobics, swim casually and just be a normal teen without her inhaler, but when she had to do conditioning for swimming she needed the inhaler. It got scary sometimes for her.