Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

need CPS advice asap

Hey all, I have a very time sensitive question. Loooong story made short...
My nephew was diagnosed in April with osteosarcoma, bone cancer. This came shortly after a massive fight for custody between my sister in law (hubby's sis) and her ex. Ex won primary custody. They've been sharing since, but it's been much more complicated bc of the cancer.

Fast forward- today is the day of his big scary surgery. YESTERDAY my sister in law gets a call from CPS saying there's allegations she's abusing him (???) and that she is not allowed to contact him in any way. So she is of course freaking out and doesn't know anything about what's going on with him in his pre-op stuff and they won't tell her anything about the surgery.

So the question- is this LEGAL? They haven't served her with any kind of paperwork or legal proof... can they really stop her from seeing her son, especially on a terrifying day like this? They're in TX if it matters. THANKS for any info.

** update: Well, thank you all for your responses. As it turns out, we were finally able to find out what the allegations are. Unfortunately, they are indeed serious as some of you suggested, and more unfortunately, there is a real possibility that they are true.

See, all I had in my head was that someone thought she was beating or sexually abusing or something like that, and she would NEVER do anything like that. Turns out it's something completely different, a big mistake and misunderstanding perhaps but still possibly legit.

So, yeah. I still find it absurd that she's not allowed to at least call or something. But maybe it's not as nuts as we'd originally thought. Thanks again for your responses, and if you are a praying person, please pray for our little guy.

Advertisement

Last edited by stephie_j24; 07-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.
stephie_j24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes they can do this... A student in my class went through something very similar, I can't share anything in this thread but if you want to pm me I can try to answer some questions. Ps I'm in Texas.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: need CPS advice asap

no idea, how horrible!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would seriously question a phone call from CPS. They usually come out in person, at least in my state. Anyone could have pretended to be CPS and made that call. She should call CPS and the local police and question the legitimacy of that phone call. If it was legit, she needs to get a lawyer, ASAP.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84
I would seriously question a phone call from CPS. They usually come out in person, at least in my state. Anyone could have pretended to be CPS and made that call. She should call CPS and the local police and question the legitimacy of that phone call. If it was legit, she needs to get a lawyer, ASAP.
Yeah I was thinking this same thing.

Never dealt with CPS but I agree anyone can call and say they are from CPS.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I would seriously be calling a lawyer ASAP and finding out. That poor child probably wants mommy during a time like that and she can't even talk to her child???? Just having gone through a scary major surgery with my own daughter days ago this breaks my heart. I seriously hope she wasn't abusing him but man can't they do a supervised visit or something????
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would for sure seek a lawyer and ask for proof on paper. Cps is unfortunately one of those programs that feel they can do as they see fit. Legally, I would think they would visit in person or send paperwork. But those types of situations are mishandled sometimes.
So sorry she's going through that:/
Would there be a possibility you or a grandparent could be there if shes not able too?
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 07-26-2012 at 12:38 PM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me ... unless it was maybe the Dr's who reported the abuse? My BFF JUST went through having CPS called on her by an X to report she was abusing the kids. The talked to her, did an investigation and took references. She has primary custody and at no time did the kids leave or did CPS even threaten to block her from seeing them. I am guessing your friend must have some VERY serious allegations against her to block access 100% but usually CPS wants to work with the family. I would see about petitioning the court for an emergency hearing and yes she needs a lawyer asap! BUT my first call would be to CPS - she should have a file number and or a contact to make sure that the phone call she got was even ligit. AND - she can call patient information or the nursing sation at the hospital to get a general update on LO's condition unless it is noted on the file as a Do Not Aknowledge anyone can call for an update.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me ... unless it was maybe the Dr's who reported the abuse? My BFF JUST went through having CPS called on her by an X to report she was abusing the kids. They talked to her, did an investigation and took references. She has primary custody and at no time did the kids leave or did CPS even threaten to block her from seeing them. I am guessing your friend must have some VERY serious allegations against her to block access 100% but usually CPS wants to work with the family. I would see about petitioning the court for an emergency hearing and yes she needs a lawyer asap! BUT my first call would be to CPS - she should have a file number and or a contact to make sure that the phone call she got was even ligit. AND - she can call patient information or the nursing sation at the hospital to get a general update (or you could for her if she is worried about getting in trouble) on LO's condition unless it is noted on the file as a Do Not Aknowledge anyone can call for an update.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote