Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
I'm struggling with thinking about changing my career. Right now I do special education and travel between 6 schools- about 170 miles a week of driving. And that's just working part time. I think about switching careers all the time. I have been thinking about going to nursing school. I have most of the prereqs done because I kept changing majors in college. I also have thought about staying home and having a few kids for daycare. I love the school schedule and have really bonded with some of the kids I see. But I love health and medicine and being busy and on my feet. I think I am a caring and nurturing person. I also was thinking of getting another teaching credential so I could be an elementary reading teacher- like title reading probably. I hate being on the road and away from my kids, and being out on icy roads all winter. I'm shy and disorganized and have problems keeping all of the materials and schedules straight. I've always been a little afraid if I was a nurse I'd forget someone's medicine or something. How many people do nurses take care of at a time? I had a cna job right out of high school, and it did not go well. I think that might have been immaturity though. Why can't I let go of wanting to be in the medical field? Anybody in the same boat? Any nurses that started later in life or teachers that changed to another field? Is there any way I could try something that would be like nursing?

Last edited by AngelElle; 10-29-2013 at 10:09 PM.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Career change?

You could be a nurse practitioner in number of different disciplines and call your own shots!
melula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Registered Users

Maturity could be a big thing... maybe give CNA a try again before you jump full force back into schooling to be a nurse.

Best of luck to you!

BTW... I'm there too... although going back to school now taking my undergraduate stuff to become a nurse or figure out whatelse I want to do with my career.
-Kathy, a WOHM mom to Victoria (11/11/07) and Lukas James (11/6/2012)!
kbz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'd say, if you really want to go into nursing, first give CNA another try. Sometimes it happens that it just wasn't the right time. MAybe this time around will be different. Best Wishes!
BabyBear.sMom is offline   Reply With Quote