Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Re: EP by choice

I pumped so much as a working mom, I just wanted to come home and whip my boobs out and make my hubby clean my pump

The night times were the hardest for me, after working all day. Some nights I nursed. Some nights I pumped so hubby could feed her. I liked the flexibility, but I came to hate my pump.

It's going to be the same thing with this next baby. Me and my Medela

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

I pumped with dd since she quit latching at 3 months because of bad advice and the pumping actually made my ppd worse. I never felt like I had down time. I was either pumping feeding or cleaning the pump. You CAN take meds while breastfeeding. I'm on lexapro right now and it helps a bunch. Do you think a massaging chair or music or something might help distract you while nursing or pumping to help with the dmer part? I've never had that so I don't really know what might help or not. Hugs mam. I know this is tough. It sounds like either decision will be tough for you and that just bites. We have enough to deal with as moms without stressing over feeding our children.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyMama
Why would you want to?
I have my own personal reasons. I've shared some of them in other places here.

Thanks for the advice. At this time I think I'm going to pump part time. It's gone well so far.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry that you even have to consider this :-/

I pumped every 2-3 hours for 8 months with DS. Long story short, he was given a bottle after birth and refused to latch after that.

My best advice is to keep nursing, even once or twice a day. Keep that door open, at least for a little while. If you're going to be pumping several times a day, every day, get a brand spankin new double pump or rent a hospital grade pump preferably. I went through 3 or 4 PIS while pumping for DS and 2 single electrics/swings. I pray that I won't have nursing troubles with this LO but ifI do have to pump again I won't do it wouth a hospital grade pump.

Pumping is both BFing and Bottle Feeding att he same time- baby gets the benefits of breastmilk and you get the health benefits from breastfeeding, but you have to deal with cleaning parts and finding time topump and bottle feed. I could pump with DS laying on the boppy next to me, if I propped a bottle, which I hate to do, but such is life.

BUT if this is something you feelyou need to do, go for it mama. Frankly, the health benefits of nursing are null if you're mental health is going downhill fast from it. Baby needs a healthy and happy mama. Good luck!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you Alycia

I'm sticking with mainly nursing for now, pumping once a day in the mornings to have a small stash for the afternoons that I'm just "done" and dh can give her a bottle. New goal is 6 months and we'll go from there.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a little busy, so sorry this is short but I *mostly*pump and I found that my medela hand pump and manual squeezing works the best for me. I like taking the pump wherever and not having a cord and tubes (which DS loves to play with and pull). It's also nice being able to give DS to DH for some feedings.

I've heard that frozen breast milk tastes awful (like soap). So maybe you might want to only pump what you need for the day. BM lasts about 5 days in the fridge (that's how long they keep it in the fridge in the NICU). Plus, it retains more nutrition and health benefits when it isn't frozen then defrosted.

Pumping is a pain, but it is much faster than sitting there and nursing. and you can sit in more comfortable positions.

Good luck pumping!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

And I thought this was interesting: http://health.psych.ucla.edu/CDS/pub...emperament.pdf

Basically stress hormones get into breast milk, so the more stress you have, the more stressed out your baby is. If bfing stresses you, then pumping might be better for you and your baby.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks Peanut. She takes a bottle fine, fresh or frozen (obviously thawed lol) so I dunno if it tastes different or not. Cortisol keeps popping up in several things I've read lately so I'm interested to read that article.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
lildutch1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best recommendation is make your diet work for you to keep your supply up. Steel cut oats, brewers yeast tablets, fennel, fenugreek etc etc will all help your production.

Also, if you have a smart phone they have some great apps to help you track everything so you can stay on target. Good luck! I am a working mom of four, my youngest is five weeks, so my pump has gotten a workout!
lildutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote