Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #91
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

But sometimes it's that first ultrasound that determines risk.... So..... What do you propose the solution is? No ultrasounds unless bleeding? Unless you had a previous problems (obviously moms with no other births wouldn't qualify..)

I'm just confused. I got ultrasounds for reasons. Idk if you'd deem them appropriate or not.. Not that i'd care...

Just curious. For the first time mom who may or may not know when her period was... No ultrasounds? Only the 20 week? Why then? Just curious.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #92
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do so many drs do early us?

To me it's the really early ones that pose almost no benefit and can cause a lot of stress. Dating ultrasounds are only important if a practice is really strict about due dates, I think. If doctors would let babies come when they are ready, the EDD wouldn't be nearly as much as a concern. Obviously it's more important with multiple gestation pregnancies or babies who have to be born earlier because of birth defects, etc, but an ultrasound at 10-12 weeks is still relatively accurate, and there is a lot less chance of a misdiagnosis of no heartbeat, multiple babies that don't make it, etc. And an ultrasound at 5 or 6 weeks can't really tell much of anything other than how many babies and if it's living. And even then, it's not guaranteed to be accurate. It's too early to see most birth defects. The original question is, "why do doctors do EARLY us?" Early US can't diagnose DS, spina bifida, heart or brain defects, intestinal problems...or anything like that. So their usage is limited and sometimes causes a lot of stress.
For instance, because of early US we now know that a lot more pregnancies start out as twins than actually develop as twins. I personally would be happier not knowing that there was a twin than knowing there was one that didn't make it. But I guess that's why I don't do the early US
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #93
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
To me it's the really early ones that pose almost no benefit and can cause a lot of stress. Dating ultrasounds are only important if a practice is really strict about due dates, I think. If doctors would let babies come when they are ready, the EDD wouldn't be nearly as much as a concern. Obviously it's more important with multiple gestation pregnancies or babies who have to be born earlier because of birth defects, etc, but an ultrasound at 10-12 weeks is still relatively accurate, and there is a lot less chance of a misdiagnosis of no heartbeat, multiple babies that don't make it, etc. And an ultrasound at 5 or 6 weeks can't really tell much of anything other than how many babies and if it's living. And even then, it's not guaranteed to be accurate. It's too early to see most birth defects. The original question is, "why do doctors do EARLY us?" Early US can't diagnose DS, spina bifida, heart or brain defects, intestinal problems...or anything like that. So their usage is limited and sometimes causes a lot of stress.
For instance, because of early US we now know that a lot more pregnancies start out as twins than actually develop as twins. I personally would be happier not knowing that there was a twin than knowing there was one that didn't make it. But I guess that's why I don't do the early US
That
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #94
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

I enjoy the US...I don't mind getting them. I get them at 7-8 wks and then at 20 wks. and we go to get a 3d around 33wks.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #95
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

As a mother who conceived one child on CD5 and one on CD30 I'm very glad to have had early ultrasounds to accurately date my pregnancies. I also discovered on early ultrasound that DS3 had a twin that didn't make it. I am glad I know that my baby existed, however briefly. Do what you want with your own pregnancy, but don't judge me on how I handle mine.

Last edited by GrazieGirl; 08-08-2012 at 06:52 AM.
GrazieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #96
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
But sometimes it's that first ultrasound that determines risk.... So..... What do you propose the solution is? No ultrasounds unless bleeding? Unless you had a previous problems (obviously moms with no other births wouldn't qualify..)

I'm just confused. I got ultrasounds for reasons. Idk if you'd deem them appropriate or not.. Not that i'd care...

Just curious. For the first time mom who may or may not know when her period was... No ultrasounds? Only the 20 week? Why then? Just curious.
Yea that. Perhaps we should establish what "early" is. 5 weeks is pointless on that we agree but I think 7-8 weeks is totally reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #97
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbitcrunchy

Yea that. Perhaps we should establish what "early" is. 5 weeks is pointless on that we agree but I think 7-8 weeks is totally reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This! And sometimes that 5-7 weeks is guessing so you are bound to catch some at 5
Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #98
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

This! And sometimes that 5-7 weeks is guessing so you are bound to catch some at 5
And that was me :/ and since you don't know if it really is 5.. Or 7 and no growth, you need to follow up. It's not all perfect. With techno lot comes responsibility. I know lots of people who flub their dates to get ultrasounds. The fact is, a lot of women want to know. To lose a pregnancy, no matter how early is heartbreaking
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #99
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good gravy this thread wreaks of blind judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrazieGirl
Do what you want with your own pregnancy, but don't judge me on how I handle mine.
Yeah, that!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #100
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
I think your my hero when it comes to most things, this though
I think, IMO, if I've had as many sweet babies as you, with having twins once with TTT, i'd want at least one U/S maybe around 20 weeks.
Maybe could cause stress, then, but if something happened to my baby and I could've prevented it by knowing, i'd surely hate myself.

They didn't have TTT though, only discordant and not identical either as suspected. And I did all the care requested, yet, IMO I do not feel it did anything to improve their outcome in my case.