Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Why do so many drs do early us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
This may be in some offices, but in both of the OBs offices I have used in these last 3 pregnancies, there are articles hanging in every single room, discussing the dangers of early induction/early C-section.
It is a new thing being introduced either last year or even as early as this year. My mother is a midwife and either went to a seminar or was told this by a doctor who attended the seminar. I no longer remember which it was. I think the reccomendation was from the AMA but could be wrong.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unless you are having unexplained pains or something unusual which could lead a doctor to suspect a problem, I have to say I agree... I don't understand why so many doctors do early scans and why the insurance companies pay for them... I guess the doctors trust most of us are idiots that don't know our own bodies. However, I agree with you that MOST women can give a doctor a rough idea of their last menstrual cycle and they can get an EDD from there.

With that said... I have to say I don't mind because I am glad I'll get to see my little bean a couple of times on an ultrasound.
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
busyteacher
Registered Users
seller
seller

My doctor does 2 US. One at 8-12 weeks for a confirmation of life and then the 20 week growth scan. I had an extra performed at 32 weeks to re-check his kidney that was abnormal on the 20 week scan. My friend had an OB that would do an US almost every time she came in just because insurance would pay for it.
busyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Some want hope.
This.

eta: Now that I'm on a pc. Having had 3 losses, I would like to know that a) the pregnancy is viable - certainly wouldn't want to have the situation of a missed m/c where your body holds onto things for weeks b) that it's in the right place - an ectopic pg can be deadly and c) it's hard enough having that fear in the back of your mind that something is wrong, when it can be quickly discounted with a 10 minute check done at the proper gestation.

Sure there are some u/s happy docs, but given the things that it can tell you, I don't see it as a bad thing. Had I never had a m/c or three, I'm sure I wouldn't have any early ones either. I had one at 10 weeks last time even after 1 m/c because she couldn't find a heartbeat with the doppler.

I think that this like a lot of mom forums is can attract a certain subset of the population with issues as we cling to each other for support. So you'll get a distorted view of "reality" when in fact the vast majority of pregnant mamas won't have more than 1 or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by lilbitcrunchy; 07-28-2012 at 03:17 AM.
lilbitcrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can pretty much tell you to the hour when I am gonna ovulate....because I have a perfect 28 day cycle.

With Claire, I was extremely monitored, US to check for heart beat at 5w6d and there it was, beating away. I was then released to my OB who did another US at I think 7-8 weeks, then the 20 week one, and because I had GD with that pregnancy, BPPs &NSTs 2 a week until I delivered....5 days over due I might add, so not all OBs are cut happy wanting to induce

With this pregnancy, I get my first US on the 2nd of Aug, I think I will be 7 weeks 2 or 3 days.

I think most US done are protocol and what the insurance will pay for.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
Most women don't seem to know their bodies well enough to say with any degree of accuracy when they conceived. At least the women I know personally. Also doctors don't like to let babies come when they are ready.
**They want to induce earlier and earlier. I think I even heard they want to start inducing a 39 weeks.**
The noted part just isn't true. The ACOG recently changed the recommendations on induction and dr's are not supposed to "electively" induce before 39wks. They're not even supposed to do planned c/s before 39wks now. It's not that they want dr's to induce everyone at 39wks. That's just plain crazy!

OP- While many women can pinpoint ovulation, many women can't. Some don't even know their LMP!! Many dr's do the u/s by 9wks to date the pregnancy accurately. Later u/s, even 20wks, can be off by weeks!
My LMP said I was due 8/2, my u/s @ 9wks showed I was due 7/17 and I delivered 6/8 and were believed to be more like 36-37wks. It was all over the place. My last 2 babies I know were a week further along than my LMP but they would average them and came up with something in the middle. I said I was due 12/17, they said 12/24, so they agreed to 12/21 after a few scans and he was born 12/9 at 8lb10oz. DS5 was due 12/9, my first u/s dated me at 12/2 and I delivered 11/26 at 8lb10oz as well. My dr knew I was more like 38wks not 37 when I delivered based on my first u/s. It was the difference between a vaginal birth and c/s for me. That may not be worth an early u/s but it was for me. I would have never had my 6th baby if I had a c/s so it was very worth it to me.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine does it based on my history of MC and for dating. I actually did know exactly what day I ovulated this time but because it was early in my cycle they didn't really believe me adn went based on my LMP. So to calculate it more accurately she ordered one. For me it was really important because that meant I was a week further than they thought. That week matters when you get to the end. Especially since I had a pre-term baby last time.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

ScienceDaily (Feb. 10, 2012) — In a study to be presented today at the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine's annual meeting, The Pregnancy Meeting ™, in Dallas, Texas, researchers will report findings that indicate that for women with prior delivery via cesarean section the optimal timing of elective delivery for mother and baby is 39 weeks even after consideration of the risk with continuing pregnancy

It took me a while to find this. I was beginning to think I was going crazy and really hadn't heard this. Although I apparently didn't hear all of it. The recommendation is apparently for vbacs.

It would be very important to have very accurate conception dates. I have heard from my doctors early US are the most accurate.

Just for the record these are not my opinions. I don't agree with elective inductions or sections. Each person has to make their own decisions though.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 07-28-2012 at 12:13 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom
Feel like every other thread is about how someone's early us didn't show a baby.....why do so many drs do so many ultrasounds? My dr is very hands off, I know, but still? We do one us at 20 weeks. Now granted I don't have complications and I know that situation is different, but I feel like nearly every dr now does at least 3 or 4 ultrasounds throughout. Why! They r so unnecessary! Even for dating. Really it's unnecessary. Edd is ESTIMATED. There a VERY few people that can't estimate when they ovulated with At least a week or two give or take. And really that's accurate enough bc u will be measuring and getting your 20 week scan for anatomy and also if you are going to truly let the baby come when It comes. I guess I just don't get it. Not only why do drs do them, but I can't believe insurance PAYS for them.
The 13 week NT screen is mandatory here for every pregnancy, so is the 20 week... Both are monitored by the state. It's part of standard prenatal care here.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #20
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ive also never been to the dr before 12 weeks. the earlier i have ever had a US was 16 weeks, and that was the only one i had in that PG. the other PG i was 20 weeks and also that was the only US. i didnt bother getting one this pg or with dd.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote