Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Early Pregnancy and HypERthyroidism

I am so bummed and anxious right now! I discovered about two weeks ago that I am pregnant; I guess we were sort of trying, but because my first pregnancy was so tough I have never been excited about getting pregnant again. I actually would love to have more children, but I just don't want to have all the complications and worrying of pregnancy. When I took the test, I was surprised that I was happier than I had thought I would be, and I thought, "well maybe, I will just be normal and healthy this time".

Well, as it turns out, I have just been diagnosed (like, yesterday) with hypERthyroidism. Everyone keeps telling me this is manageable, but all I keep thinking is that I will never be truly healthy again, I will never have a normal pregnancy, and I am currently poisoning my child until we get this under control.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
So, I am just feeling really bummed right now. I guess I just need hugs.

Advertisement

Last edited by Zoethink; 07-27-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Zoethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Yes hypERthyroid sufferer here. Always have been with all 3 pregnancies and afterwards as well. I had the same feelings you are having now when I was preggo with my first that I was somehow harming my child but I wasn't and the docs all assured me that I was not. And not that being hyper is good but if you are going to be hyper or hypo hypER is the lesser of the two evils so to speak. Just get under the care of a good endocrinologist. I have had thyroid issues since 2004 and have fluctuated between normal levels to hypER to hypO levels, which the only reason I ever went hypo was due to incorrect med dose because really the endo cant be EXACTLY sure what dose is going to bring your levels back to normal. I actually have a condition called Hashimotos which if you google it most people are hypO with it but no not me I'm so rare that I am always hypER what sets Hashimotos apart is the antibody levels basically my body attacks my thyroid in an attempt to kill it off which typically makes people hypOthyroid but I do the opposite. I know thyroid stuff can seem scary ESPECIALLY when you are pregnant, you already have enough to worry about. I know I have rambled, but all this to say I have dealt with this throughout all 3 of my pregnancies and saw a great Endocrinologist who managed my care during and after. All three of my babes were delivered healthy and with no complications at all. Hang in there mama. It will all be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

SAHM to S 11/9/06 J 11/1/09 and M 10/27/11
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Early Pregnancy and HypERthyroidism

I'm not sure what the treatment is like during pregnancy, but I would definitely research it and know all of your options before jumping to a decision. I had a hyperactive thyroid about 5 months pp with my first, and I felt like the doctors were jumping to treatment really quickly. I decided to wait and see what would happen, focusing on staying as healthy as possible and eating well, and the situation resolved itself. Within 3 or 4 months it was back to normal, no medication or killing of the thyroid necessary. I'm guessing that they won't suggest irradiating the thyroid right now anyway because of the danger to the baby, and I understand that treatment may have to happen more quickly because of the pregnancy, but it might not be something that you will have to deal with forever, so make sure that you have all of your options and second opinions if you feel that you need them.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

Re: Early Pregnancy and HypERthyroidism

Thanks so much for responding! I am currently in the process of setting up an endo apt. My Dr (who I saw for the first time on Wednesday! I have never needed a dr before; I have never been sick!) is having them call me to set up an apt. It's good to hear that I am not really poisoning my baby!! It will also be good to be under someone's care!

Thanks again! It's nice to know I am not the only one!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Feel free to PM me if you feel the need. I tend to air on the side of caution when taking meds and try to do things as naturally as possible (herbs when appropriate, homebirthing, whole foods etc. ) but when it comes to my thyroid I trust the docs to regulate it and I have been confident in their care. Granted I am in his office frequently for bloodwork but it is what helps keep my thyroid regulated and trust me after 8 yrs of a thyroid condition I KNOW when my thyroid is not functioning properly and/or my meds need to be adjusted.

Again feel free to PM if you have more specific questions or need to vent with someone who has been there done that.

I will be thinking of you tonight mama. ((((HUGS)))))

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

SAHM to S 11/9/06 J 11/1/09 and M 10/27/11
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote