Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What do you consider ESSENTIAL starter kit for pre-K and K?

I've been attempting homeschooling with my 3 yr old and its mainly just playing around. He already knows his ABCs, his numbers, he knows it in 2 other languages so I know I shouldn't be stressed but DH is stressing me. DH was a child prodigy in a few things and so was his younger brother so he wants me to step it up a notch.

I think my toddler is doing FINE considering his age and although he can't read yet he does recognize some words. So what do you suggest is a good starting point for a pre-k and kindergarten program? If you homeschooled your children what things do you consider ESSENTIAL and you would not do without?

Advertisement

Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

Re: What do you consider ESSENTIAL starter kit for pre-K and K?

I'm at the same stage as you. The only absolute essential I've found so far? 2 different library cards. hahah. I started working with a "program" kinda thing... Now we just go to 2 different libraries and get ridiculous amounts of books to read. But mine just turned 3, so not really even pre-k yet. I do have Ready, Set, Grow (I think that's the name), and Peak With books, which have been great for ideas if nothing else.
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
satiglenn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried Laurie learning toys? My little girl just turned two (we're homeschooling her 4yo bro, he's in k), and i got her a Laurie starter pack from Amazon. It has a foam uppercase letter puzzle, some shape circle puzzles, some pacing cards, and a set of "locktogons," which are colorful foam octogons that lock together so you can build structues. She loves to color, and paint. She also knows all of her letters, shapes, colors, etc. I think "school knowledge" is all fine and good, but ay this point (2-3) they need to developed strong gross and fine motor skills. I let her practice pouring water and sand, poking pegs into holes, etc. Maybe your husband, despite his best intentions, needs to realize that all children develope differently, and he is only going to hurt his son if he insists on holding him to a standard thats too high to meet.
satiglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiglenn View Post
Have you tried Laurie learning toys? My little girl just turned two (we're homeschooling her 4yo bro, he's in k), and i got her a Laurie starter pack from Amazon. It has a foam uppercase letter puzzle, some shape circle puzzles, some pacing cards, and a set of "locktogons," which are colorful foam octogons that lock together so you can build structues. She loves to color, and paint. She also knows all of her letters, shapes, colors, etc. I think "school knowledge" is all fine and good, but ay this point (2-3) they need to developed strong gross and fine motor skills. I let her practice pouring water and sand, poking pegs into holes, etc. Maybe your husband, despite his best intentions, needs to realize that all children develope differently, and he is only going to hurt his son if he insists on holding him to a standard thats too high to meet.
Hadn't heard about Laurie learning toys so I'll check them out. I asked this question in another group earlier this year when the pressure was REALLY on and their suggestion was to ignore 'content' and to focus on 'habits'. So that's what I've been doing but still mainly in play. Even so I had no idea what kind of materials I would need for pre-k and k.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lots of books and an ample assortment of paper and crayons/pencil, and small manipulatives. Pegboard, counters for sorting, puzzles, gears, jumbo reading rods (at www.hand2mind.com ), pattern blocks, etc would be good learning toys/tools.

But above all, read a ton and encourage creative art/drawing and pre-writing skills. You can always print off worksheets online, laminate them, and use them over and over with dry erase markers.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't consider anything at all essential for pre-k and k. If I was going to pick some stuff though my list would look something like....
library card
art box (with at least sissors, crayons, markers, glue at minimum)
art supplies (like construction paper, beans, pom pom, googly eyes, ect--could vary widely)
counting maniplitives (but could be anything. Beans, leaves, toys, whatever you have is fine)
measuring cups
internet access would be a big plus (you could print early reading stuff or a worksheet if you wanted, education games, ect. But I don't consider that essential either because you could make a lot of that yourself.)

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head. But really you can do a ton of stuff with just those simple things, and you don't need tons of stuff to homeschool that age. If you are looking for a complete homeschool kit, I like My Father's World, but I don't have any personal experience with their pre-k stuff.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

After working in a preschool classroom, I quickly realized that many parents focused only on 'school knowledge'. It's great that a child knows letters but if they don't have any fine motor skills or the ability to hold a conversation, it's not doing a whole lot of good. KWIM?
I would read a lot and then discuss it. Talk using real words and ask open ended questions. Provide good quality art supplies and lots of time to really get into open-ended toys.
Have your DH look up research on inquiry based learning.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

I read a simply charlotte mason book and one thing that struck me about the "habit" thing was to work on one/focus on one every 3 weeks or so (I can't really remember, I need to re-read). This totally works. My kid just loves reading, so we do tons.. . but I try to kind of pick one new habits/motor skills kinda thing to work on for several weeks, then move on. Putting shirt on, for example. The last one's been washing hands - moving the stool, turning the cold faucet on, drying hands, etc...

The one thing that I want that I don't have set up yet is an easy way to play in a tray of sand or something to work on drawing/tracing/writing/playing, it's supposed to be easier to work with than holding a pencil/crayon. He's hot/cold when it comes to stuff like that, and is sometimes just not into it so I don't push it. But he lags in drawing/motor skills kinda stuff I think because of that.
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to add... puzzles (tons of puzzles in increasing difficulty). Probably at 3 he can do a 24 piece puzzle or do it with limited assistance, but once he's doing those proficiently jump to 36, 48, then 100 pieces. Puzzles are great for fine motor coordination, problem solving, envisioning how a small piece fits into a bigger picture, observation, etc. Most mathematicians are puzzle solvers in some shape or form.

I like blocks too. (wood and lego being my favorite). To expand vocabulary and progression of conversation or story, I like to play blocks with kids and have them tell me a story about what they are building. I ask questions along the way to help them think about details and the order in which things should happen. I've seen several kids really advance in their speaking skills using this and similar methods.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a newly turned 4 year old son. Things he enjoys...

Legos
Playdoh
Puzzles(he can do them all day if I let him, he is doing the 100 pieces puzzles now)
Go Fish
Matching Games
Worksheets printed from online(loves to trace letters, numbers, shapes)
Learning to read with 100 EZ lessons and Bob Books
Nature Journaling
Coloring
I read to him and ask questions about the story
Domino Parking Lot(math)
Life Skills(baking, cooking, drying dishes, etc..)

This is what we consider his "school" right now. He also tags along when possible with his older brothers.
Due with monkey #6 in August
Etsy Shop
DS WAHM Page
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote