Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Registered Users
Worse on Alimentum?

I have 10 week old twins who are primarily breastfed, but have each been supplemented with 4-8oz oz of formula daily. Sometimes it's mixed into BM bottles in small amounts, and other times given straight.

They were originally on Similac Sensitive, which they seemed to do alright on. At one point I began introducing a Gerber formula, and they did very poorly.

After weeks of really bad diaper rash and mild tummy upset, which I suspected was dairy related, I eliminated it from my diet and introduced Alimentum. I figured that, even if they weren't truly allergic to milk protein, that the Alimentum couldn't hurt.

A week later, their rashes HAVE improved, however, I believe that might have more to do with their less frequent pooping as they're getting older.

Their tummies, however, have been WORSE! Gassy, fussy, spitting up more; could it be the Alimentum?? Is that even possible? Has it happened to anyone else?

I'm terrible at noticing subtle differences in their behavior and health after diet changes (but I'm pretty sure things have been worse after Alimentum? it's hard to tell since I'm only supplementing), so I'm considering a binge on dairy and normal Similac to test things out.

I don't know though.

Help! Anyone experience trouble with Alimentum?

Married 03.06 to the cutest man I know: Soldier by day, CrossFit instructor by night.
Loving our rainbow twins, Sullivan and Benjamin (5.12)
Parenting consistently and in love is all the matters. Your label or philosophy won't raise good children, your example will.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
My girls have started spitting up a lot more. They aren't on that formula, but maybe it is more age / developmental? Im going in to meet the pediatrician on Monday and was going to see if I need to change my diet. Tiny Lily does the most spitting up and she can't afford to not be gaining! Hope you get it figured out. Poor boys and their tummies.
~Diane DH 6YO DD and twin girls Valor & Lily 6-29-12

graces-mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Worse on Alimentum?

My DS was on Alimetum and was never gassy. He used to spit up a lot on it and had very watery acidic poop, but we had to leave him on it because the regular Similac caused a more severe reaction.

Our pediatrician suggested adding rice cereal at 8 weeks (my ds was born at 35 weeks). I would not do it but at about 12 weeks, I could not take it anymore. I started adding rice cereal and he has been doing great since then. He is 8.5 months old.

I am not suggesting you add rice at 10 weeks, but I thought my experience might help.
gsxr_mama is offline   Reply With Quote