Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UGH! Thinking about switching to public/private school for awhile?!

We switched to Public school last year and have been very happy with our decision. I think the main factor for kids with their spiritual development is the environment in the home and amount of parental involvement in the school. If you are there, know your child's teacher and friends, school will serve as an enrichment to your child, and you can be a positive force in the schoool. There are a lot of christians in the public schools.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

You are soooo not alone! At least once/year I fantasize about putting my kids in school... but I don't. I've homeschooled for 3 years now, and my oldest is also a boy who's 8 (my others are 5 1/2 and 3). I wish I could do everything better (school and housework), but I know that I do my best. At the end of the day- I feel like they're still better off in a (less-than-perfect) home school than in the public school down the street. Nowhere else will they get this good of a teacher:student ratio, with a teacher that loves them unconditionally and knows the child better than anyone else, with their curriculum custom-picked for them, they can go at their own pace, and all in a Christian environment.

Another thing that makes me feel better (and less overwhelmed) is to tell myself that I am only committing to one year at a time. I am not ready to sign up for 10+ years of homeschooling... but I'm ready to take on this year!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is such an enormous responsibility I think we all feel insecure at some points. I wanted to second the idea of an online option. I had a health crisis(renal failure with many complications) and then had a rough pregnancy and less than robust newborn. I live in Maryland so we do not have any public online schools available to us so I used Time4Learning. It really saved me and was a price we could manage easily. I am not familiar with your state but have you looked in to virtual schools? This yaer we decided to return to a more conventional homeschool method after 2 years of Time4Learning.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Taking it one year at a time is a good way to look at it!
Time4learning looks really awesome! I'll have to discuss that with DH
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 07-30-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I don't have any advice but want to offer Whatever you decide to do I'm sure it will all work out! Don't be too hard on yourself
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I understand being overwhelmed. This year I will have 7 school aged kids, 2 toddlers and a newbie due in a few months. Yup, I understand overwhelmed. I've finally managed to get my husband to realize how overwhelmed I was feeling and start helping out a little bit. A little bit. I've had to start using more computer based courses to help when possible (math for example, Latin on DVD, the high school sophomore will be enrolled in an on-line German course) and combining my middle kids when possible (I have 3 in about 3 years so it makes sense).

But if you are worried about them possibly being behind, have you ever given your kids a standardized test? Just to ease your mind? You can order the CAT test very inexpensively from Setontesting, administer it at home and get your results in just a few weeks. We have to test every few years for our state but it's been a nice reminder to me that my kids aren't really behind even when I think they are. Sure, I want them to be further along in their books but when put head-to-head academically with other kids in their grade level, they are doing just fine.

I hope you can find a way to feel more at peace with your homeschooling and if not, remember that we are all right there with you feeling the same stinking thing on many days.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A few suggestions if you want to make HS'ing work would be to do a bit of schooling in the evening after the girls are in bed, even if it's just 30 minutes. My 8.5 yr old is getting an extra half hour over the 4 yr old and so far it's been okay (but that works in our family).

Try selecting stuff for DS that is a lot of independent work and half a half hour educational video for the girls to watch if you do TV in your family. We got the preschool prep videos and both my son and the 4 yr old I babysit are well on their way to reading because of those videos so I feel no guilt at all over them! My son is super smart too and usually in that 20-30 minutes the TV gives me I can go over enough to get him going.

But the bottom line is pray, have your husband pray, and go where God is leading you.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the support mamas
Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 AM   #20
satiglenn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought my daughter a Laurie starter pack on amazon for her 2nd birthday, and now she has school with us She sits at the table, and i move back and forth between them. I'll give her one of the manipulatives and show her how to do it, and then tell her to try it and I'll be fght back. Then I go to the other end of the table and get my kindergartener set up with his worksheets. Once she gets bored, I let her color, or use another manipulative, or hand her a book to look at, or some stickers, or whatever. This works really wellfor us. This way, I can actually have small "blocks" of time (5-8 minutes) to teach my kindergartener, and she's learning, too.
satiglenn is offline   Reply With Quote