Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Timandalotte
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Microfleece holding onto odors?

So I sewed rectangles of microfleece onto my daughter's prefolds about 3 months ago, to make them stay-dry. Everything was fine until last night, my husband put the diapers in and the next day when I went to use them, they stunk so bad! (I already grilled him about what he could have done wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't him as he washes them almost every night!) I threw them in the washer again and it seems that the only part that stinks now is the microfleece that I sewed onto the prefolds, some of our covers (Flip) and the microfiber part of our SuperDos.

We wash every other day and use Purex F&C, which we've had no problems with. Is it just the toddler pee? Would it be easier to cut off the microfleece and use only natural fibers? Has anyone encountered this problem before? Hopefully the covers will stop stinking after a couple more washes. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has!

Advertisement

Last edited by Timandalotte; 07-26-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Timandalotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
MaMaJodiapers
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Microfleece holding onto odors?

did you try stripping?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try bac-out! Not sure about the microfiber though, we had to ditch all of ours.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have hard water? That has been the issue for us, I switched to mainstream detergent (No really strong scent) I am now using tide original full amt of detergent recommended (to the line 1) and use RLR to clean the buildup out of them! It works great!! No more stinkies!! HTH
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
daniele_ut
Registered Users
seller
seller

i have a stack of about 24 microfleece liners that i just lay in over prefolds or anything else. I havent noticed any stink yet and i have hard water, but i will just chuck them and cut up some more if it happens. i paid a total of $1 for the fleece i used, so no great loss if i need to do that. Also, if I wanted to, i could run them separately through a sanitary cycle without worrying about anything being ruined.

i get the convenience factor of sewing it to the prefolds but it sounds like you may want to detach them.
daniele_ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
ivymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good thread...I had the same thought and was contemplating sewing them on too! My concern was that the microfleece might interfere with the dipe getting clean. I have a handfull of gmd workhorse doublers and fleece liners about the same size. My idea was gonna be to sew them only to one end of the doubler, so that they'd stay together but still agitate freely in the wash. Hmmmm...now I'm thinkin I should just leave them alone.
ivymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Regarding stink in your covers... if they're not "soiled", why not just put them in baby's hamper rather than the diaper pail? I prefer to do that so they covers don't retain stink and they're washed in warm rather than hot water. Of course the minute poop gets on a cover, in the diaper pail it goes!
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

Try a squirt of Dawn. Sounds like you need more detergent or a good stripping!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Timandalotte
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think at this point, to avoid fiddling with my washing routine, I'm just going to take them out. I needed to use my new seam ripper anyway! If it drives me crazy to not have them, I'll just go buy another yard of microfleece with a coupon and add them back until they stink again! Lol. Thanks for your input everyone!

Oh, and meljc, I would have never thought of that, but I think I'll start doing it! So smart!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
BrownCowMama
Registered
seller

I have found that most mixed fiber inserts hold stink way more then natural fibers. Like micro fiber vs. all cotton. Stink is no fun!
BrownCowMama is offline   Reply With Quote