View Poll Results: Male VS Femail OB- preference
Have Male OB- no preference 26 18.06%
Have Female OB/MW- no preference 7 4.86%
Have Female OB/MW- prefer female 54 37.50%
Had both/either- no preference 33 22.92%
Had both/either- prefer female 24 16.67%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Re: Male versus Female OB- POLL

I've always preferred female OB's but used both begrudgingly during the pregnancy of my dd#2 due to scheduling conflicts. However after the birth/assault on me during the birth of dd#2 I don't think I can physically ever have a male examine me again. If it was absolutely necessary, as in the only doctor that I can see within a 4 hour or so drive was male, then I would insist on my DH being there. I know the doc's don't normally like that but I need to know that I have someone on my side in case the OB try's to take advantage of me again.

If I were the OP male/female doc aside I would probably pass on the 39 week internal check. There isn't much point to them anyway.

Advertisement

Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will only have a female OB/GYN or PCP. I have a male endocrinologist, but only because there is no females in the area. Having a male deliver my baby would send me into a panic. Why? No clue, just an instinct.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My OB is a male. He was the only choice when I was pregnant with my first so beggar's can't be choosy. And since OB's are hard to come by, I stuck with him for all 3 of my kids.

ETA: I like him, though. He's a good listener and smiles a lot, like he truly loves what he does. His focus is high risk pregnancy, so I'm lucky there, too.

It's almost impossible to see him in the summertime due to vacations, so I see some of the female NP's or PA's. They have slightly better bedside manner, as in, they talk a little slower and seem a little more relatable. And I much prefer a female does the internal check(s) because my male Dr's hands are ENORMOUS!

Also, I think most of the male Dr's with this clinic/hospital have a female LPN that shadows them when any physical examination is taking place.

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 07-30-2012 at 12:35 PM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had a male for all 5 pregnancies. I've seen female OB's at different times during the pregnancies, but I prefer the male.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had both, and I MUCH prefer males!! I had a male OB with my first pregnancy, and he was honestly the best doctor I've ever seen in my life. He was patient, very sincere and kind, funny, never made me feel stupid or rushed, (this is going to sound dumb) but BOTH DH and I always felt like we were visiting with a friend, not seeing a doctor. He cared so much, and always took the initiative to handle important things himself (eg: when I had bloodwork done to see why I was having trouble staying pregnant, he called me personally with the results and explained everything to me, then gave me his cell number in case I had questions or problems when he wasn't at work. The last month or two of my pregnancy, DH had to take a job out of state, and was only home on weekends. Dr. told me that if I went into labor when I was alone, or before my mom came to stay the last week, he would come pick me up himself. That might sound weird to some ppl, but he NEVER gave me a creepy feeling whatsoever. I've seen females, and I honestly just have never cared for them. They always seem to either 1) be know it alls, like pp's have mentioned, 2) almost be competitive, like how women sometimes size each other up, or 3) be pushy and kind of snotty about how things should be done. I'm currently at a practice that you have to see everyone, and I've seen a new person every. single. time. Same with delivery, just whoever happens to be there is who you get. I hate it, b/c you don't get the opportunity to "bond" with any one doctor, even get to know them, and it is VERY impersonal/strictly business. I've been trying to scheme ways this entire pregnancy to get back to the guy I like , but that's not gonna happen, lol. BTW, he's not the only male that I've loved that much either, he's just the only one who's been an OB for me, rather than reg. gyn.
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't really matter to me although I have a female. I love her too. With my first I was with a practice wih 3 women and 2 men and I liked the men more than the women. Completely depends on their attitude.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had a male ob for my sons births. I really liked him. He has now brought in a woman to help him with appointments and I liked her too. Even though I didn't see him at every appointment, he was still very much aware of how my pregnancy was going so I felt very comfortable.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

i love love love my male ob. he is amazing, so caring and wonderful. he takes his time to answer any questions and makes me feel super comfortable. i have only ever seen one other and she was not very nice so i dont really have an opinion on which i prefer except my dr lol i wish he was a general practitioner sometimes so i could see him for everything.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had both and don't have a preference. The only thing that's important is that they are good at their jobs and are open to listening to what I have to say. My former OB was a man and he was amazing. He even delivered his grandchildren. (no, I wouldn't feel comfortable going to my dad if he was an OB) He was an amazing practitioner before he retired (I was 27 wks preggo) My last OB was very open to all of my choices and even let DH deliver DD. She's not in practice around here anymore
Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have had both. Prefer male and wont ever go back to female or midwife. Been with my male ob for 9 years and love him. Always have the best care.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote