View Poll Results: Male VS Femail OB- preference
Have Male OB- no preference 26 18.06%
Have Female OB/MW- no preference 7 4.86%
Have Female OB/MW- prefer female 54 37.50%
Had both/either- no preference 33 22.92%
Had both/either- prefer female 24 16.67%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I will never /have never had a male dr. of any kind but especially an OB. After I gave birth to DD a male nurse came in to help me (I don't even remember why he needed to help me) but I politely asked him to send in a female nurse instead.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Male versus Female OB- POLL

Had a male for two emergencies OB issues and I'm still a bit scarred over it. I've always had female MWs for my pregnancies and I prefer female. I'm *very* modest.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have had both and have no preference.

My peri is male and I like him, and I had a OB with my son who was female and she was great too. I am back to just my peri now and so a male will deliver this baby. My re is a male as well.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #24
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Have male/prefer male. Or maybe it's just that I have an awesome male OB and wouldn't want anyone else. I don't have an issue with male doc seeing my lady parts, pretty much every doc I've ever seen has been male, so it's the norm for me. I think it'd actually be a bit weird for me to have a woman doc.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had both, I'd say I prefer a male OB. My first 3 were all delivered by male OB's.
I started off seeing a male with this pregnancy up until he deployed (we are military), I am REALLY bummed about it. He had the best, loudest personality and would have been awesome in the delivery room. We really clicked with him. Since then I have been seen twice by a female and she's ehhhhhhhhhh. It's not that I don't like her, she just doesn't connect with our family like he did.

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I used to choose only female OBs, but when looking for a VBAC doc, males were my only choice. I am glad I went for it. The 2 male OBs I have had are far more patient, respectful, gentle and professional. And I'm surprised that they don't make me feel uncomfortable. They seem sensitive to my need for modesty.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had female OBs both times, but have no preference. My family practice doctor that does my yearly exams is male and I love him. If he delivered babies, I'd go to him, but he doesn't do babies anymore.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Much prefer female OB's. My personal opinion is men do not belong in that field. I realize many if not most do not feel that way but that is how I feel.

I know what it feels like to feel assaulted by the male OB. My first vaginal us I refused to look at the pic until my son was around a year old. The male OB failed to inform me just what he was going to do and hurt me during the process. He later forced an unnecessary section on me and almost killed my son. He had the know it all attitude.

My female OB made sure to tell me before hand what she was going to do. She never hurt me and always listened with respect to my concerns. I did wind up with a section with her as well but it was discusses as equals and we came to the decision we both felt was safest for my baby and me.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I have had both because I saw a group of Doctors/CNW... I am extremely modest and feel violated any time any one(other than my husband) is near my lady parts. For some reason... It doesn't matter if it is a male or female, it all sucks and I just want to get it all over with.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I prefer female just because I feel most comfortable BUT it was HARD finding a good one. The first female was too aggressive, 2nd was too dirty and I ended up with a nasty infection that I've ever experienced and I was in pain for a week after visiting her for a PAP SMEAR! Looking back I think the speculum may have been dirty as I don't remember her sanitizing it or covering but I was too busy being nervous. shudder. As as result of that I ended up in an emergency visit to another obgyn who was a woman and wonderful.

In case of a life and death situation, life precedes everything so I don't care which gender handles me as long as they are qualified. Last year I went to the ER in crazy pain and while I could have requested a female doctor I thought I was having either an ectopic pregnancy that was bursting or my appendix was bursting and needed whoever was available and qualified to see me ASAP. Even though he and his team were unable to find out the cause (it was a miscarriage of twins that went undetected for another 3 months) I'm satisfied with the quality of care I received.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote