View Poll Results: Male VS Femail OB- preference
Have Male OB- no preference 26 18.06%
Have Female OB/MW- no preference 7 4.86%
Have Female OB/MW- prefer female 54 37.50%
Had both/either- no preference 33 22.92%
Had both/either- prefer female 24 16.67%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #31
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Male versus Female OB- POLL

I now see a male OB, but had always preferred female. The reason for seeing my male OB is because he is homebirth friendly, meaning he will provide backup and parallel care for me while pregnant. He is also the most compassionate and gentle doc I've ever had! He changed my opinion on male OB's

Advertisement

Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #32
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ive had both. ive had issues both. by far the biggest was with an older OB, older than my dad. he checked my cervix when i was in labor...then patted my head. it was creepy. i prefer not to see him but other than that i have no preference. i see midwives now and all are female though. (and one is a witch and she cant come w/in 15 feet of me but thats another story...)
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #33
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have/had both. Strongly prefer male. The practice I'm in now had 2 males and 1 female when I started with this pregnancy. They did not tell me they were getting a second female. So, I have a 50/50 shot of getting a female at delivery. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to it at all. I prefer the men to the female I've met. The other is brand new and I haven't met her yet.

I don't really have any other options unless I want to travel to deliver. My hospital is 10 minutes away if I miss a few lights. The next closest is 35 and the one I would feel next most comfortable in (with my fav. OB) is a little over an hour away. Oh well. I'm praying one of the male OB's is on-call when I deliver.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #34
Sylvie89
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a female mw, but I don't have a preference. I prefer the midwife philosophy over an ob/gyn and most nurse/mw are female. There is one male nurse/mw that I know of in my metropolitan area, but way on the other side of town. He has over 20 years of experience and if I lived on that side of town, I would probably have gone to him (great reputation in the mw community).
Sylvie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #35
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I started with a female, then moved mid pregnancy and picked a male. I was limited to high risk doctors that were well versed in certain blood clotting disorders. I chose based on credentials, not sex.

To be honest, I was way more comfortable with the male than the female. He and I clicked, he respected me, and he loved to joke about how he could always learn something from me at each visit, because I could describe things to him that he can never experience.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #36
hollyecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Until the recent century, standard practice was only female midwives. I think there is a reason for that! I have nothing against male OBs, but would never go to one. I only feel comfortable with female OBs and MWs. At all 3 births, the only male in the room is my DH and that's how I want it to stay.
hollyecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #37
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep
Ummm, you need a have had both/prefer male option. Cause I do.

He's seen it all before, so I really don't care if he's poking around my lady parts. My OB has a great personality and is a great MD. Plus I often got the vibe from female OBs and OB nurses that they "knew it all" because many of them have had kids, and that can make them dismissive of my concerns. My OB knows that he doesn't "know it all" (cause he's never been pregnant ) and he listens and carefully evaluates any concerns that I have. My favorite L&D nurse ever was also male
Yeah, I prefer a male OB, but a female MW.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #38
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
Ummm, you need a have had both/prefer male option. Cause I do.

He's seen it all before, so I really don't care if he's poking around my lady parts. My OB has a great personality and is a great MD. Plus I often got the vibe from female OBs and OB nurses that they "knew it all" because many of them have had kids, and that can make them dismissive of my concerns. My OB knows that he doesn't "know it all" (cause he's never been pregnant ) and he listens and carefully evaluates any concerns that I have. My favorite L&D nurse ever was also male
Me too! My OB was out of town when ds2 was born. I did NOT like the OB on call, so my OB asked one of the other OBs to deliver me in his place...I was thankful it was the other guy...but I didn't like this OB. She didn't listen to me at all when I told her my concerns. I KNEW my water wouldn't break on it's own...but I also knew that when I hit 7 I would have a baby within 15 minutes. She was in the room just in time to break my water and catch him.

All that to say...she's the only female OB I've seen...I'm not sure I just don't like HER or if other females would have the same mindset. I've seen 2 different males (but only one for actual pg/delivery) and they had WAY different attitudes.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #39
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I prefer male, but I wouldn't say its a strong preference. I didn't care for the female ob I saw at all. I have seen a few males and had no issues. I didn't really care for our MW either, but I think it was a personality thing...I was much more comfortable with the assistant MW.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #40
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I've seen a male OB, delivered with a female OB, delivered with a female midwife, and had a male OB observe that one. I prefer the females because their personalities, and I've disliked all but one of the males, but I think that's due to personalities.