Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
18 month old co sleeping to own bed? Help

Has anyone move a child around 18 months old from co sleeping to their own bed successfully? My dd was a crib baby and for the past 6 months we have been cosleeping. In sept she will be 18 months and I would like to move her back into her room pref a bed. Can I have some ideas or hear some success stories?

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

I have moved both of mine at 20 months and 22 months. I just started out having them in their bed for naps and kept telling them how big they were. After about a week we tackled bed time as well. We started by sitting by their bed rubbing their back or singing or whatever they needed until they fell asleep. Then after they got comfortable with that we would sit in their room but not touch them or make any noise. Once they were comfortable with that we would just put them to bed. There was crying at this point and getting out of bed. We just kept putting them back in bed. It was a bit rough but we knew they were comfortable in there room by this point. They learned to stay in bed after a few nights Hope that helps. Good luck.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks! Any more stories?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

At 12 months I put a mattress on the floor of dd's room and went in there to bed like normal. We would just lay down, nurse and she would fall asleep. Then I would leave. At 15 months we put the bed frame and mattress and box spring inside it, so her bed is just the height of a mattress and box spring but looks nicer. I either lay with her until she falls asleep or let her fall asleep on the couch and bring her in. Sleeping has always been a battle and this was the easiest solution. It's a full sized bed so plenty of room for us both. Before that dd slept with me and dh in our bed.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ds is 21 months and still cosleeping but he's almost ready to move. I'm just waiting until he drops his last night feeding do I don't have to go to his room in the middle of the night. We started with nap time. I'd wait until he'd fall asleep then I would leave. At first I'd sit on the bed when I knew he was about to wake up so I'd be there but over the course of about a month, I took slightly longer to get there after he woke up... But still only like a minute, but he knows I'm not there during naptime. At night, I started putting a pillow between us after he fell asleep. For about a month he'd climb over the pillow to sleep on me and I'd just readjust us after he fell asleep again. Now he stays on his side and wouldn't notice if I wasn't there. Like I said, I'm just waiting for him to drop his last feeding for my own convenience. HTH.
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
We coslept from birth to 18 months happily. Then my husband and I decided it was time. We moved her daybed into the bedroom, practically side-car style. My daughter did not agree that it was time. We had her fully transitioned by her second bday. We went slow, didn't force it.

Good luck.