Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ticked at the middle school

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugstrees View Post
Well, I do recall the kid wearing the shirt from Gap making fun of the kid wearing the shirt from Wal-Mart, like I said, brutal.

That's how.
I was telling a teacher friend of mine that I wouldn't mind uniforms so that everyone would match. She said don't kid yourself there is a difference between upscale and bargain polo's and khakis and the kids know it.

Advertisement

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
could you just return some of the stuff you already bought him & exchange it for stuff that meets the dress code? is it like a crazy super strict dress code or something? we've had them for years here, but they're not over the top or anything....no spaghetti straps, shorts/skirts must be a certain length, no giant holes in jeans, no suggestion/inappropriate images or sayings on clothing. The high school here just had to pass a rule that kids weren't allowed to wear bulky jackets or fur-lined jackets in class because kids were hiding phones, drugs, etc in them...but we don't have like, metal detectors or cops or drug dogs at our schools (like some bigger city schools?)
Nope much was second and from cl I could re list it but I am not I am going to have it change into it when not in school

it's polos and kakis he needs to were the shirt can only be one of two colors must be tucked in. under shirts can only be of one style, belts can only be one color, socks have to be white and of a certain style. To me it's stirct coming from a school with a dress code that was normal. not this this is over board in my eyes.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I forget I am in the boonies and everyone wears walmart as there is not much else around here.
But if they are making fun of the brands on the uniforms, imagine how much more room there would be to make fun of a whole wardrobe.
At least with a uniform it is cheaper to buy a few nicer name brands than to have to buy a whole wardrobe of them.
It is crazy how cruel kids are
Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerica View Post
This is our dress code, too - completely reasonable, if you ask me! You can still keep the jeans, polos, etc, right OP? I'm curious what your school's dress code is!
Jeans I am keeps for after school policy is as suck

Khakis and polos (navy and school blue only though they don't say what the school color is and I have yet to find it) Khakis can be of only certian styles and shades and no stain or holes (which I get but wear and tear does happen)

They will be allowed to wear jeans on spirit days on fridays but only after I spend money to buy a school tshirt and he must where that tshirt and no other.

They tell us what kind of under shirts they can have, socks and pretty much everything but under wear.

if something is out of code they will be sent to the office to call me and I will be give five minutes to get him the uniform and if I am not there in five minutes it's in school suspension.

The dress code someone else posted is what was at our old school and I have no problem but this one I do it's a uniform not a dress code or dress standard as they say. His hoodies and sweaters and sweat shirts can only be of certain styles and color as well. they have rules on the back pack as well.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's annoying that they didn't let you know earlier but dress codes are pretty standard. I wore a uniform and now my DS does and I personally love it. I really don't remember people getting teased because of their low or high end clothes. I mean are they looking at the tags or something? I grew up in an upper middle class neighborhood and we definitely did not have as much money as most of my friends and didn't typically have a lot of name brand stuff but no one ever said anything to me about my clothes.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is this a public school? That does seem strict. If is a leadership magnet, it makes sense.

I'd call the school tomorrow and ask if there is a voucher system. Typically when schools start a uniform/dress code (strict); they have a year of transition. This was not part of their policy last school year?

One year I worked at a public school (inner city; one of the poorest cities for chidren), and we could only wear black and white clothing.

I have a son entering kinder and I was going to buy him a few school t-shirts. It would certainly help in the wardrobe department.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
I don't understand the 5min rule How can they possibly enforce such an unreasonable policy? Are you sure it isn't just he has to sit in ISS until you get there?

Book bags had rules when I went to school. By the time I was in Jr high you had to have clear ones or none at all, so they could see what you were carrying; from k-12.

Sock rules sound ridiculous.

ETA: In another thread someone mentioned not understanding why some places only allow clothes from particular stores. I imagine the making fun of thing mentioned here may play a part in that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 07-30-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I do think that they should have sent home some information, especially for a new student.
That's what I am saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine_apple_goat View Post
Do they have specific uniforms? How strict is the code? I would be angry if they didn't tell me ahead of time.
It's a dress standard as they call it but it's a uniform
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our5boys View Post
I really think they should have let you know sooner.

We just got letters today (yes since we have two students in middle school they insist on sending two of the same letter in the same envelope nonthe less...I hate extra papers and even signed up for email updates from the school instead ) that this is the new dress code. Has been the same for two years but they are trying to make it have a slogan and everything and the new principal is going to enforce the dress code finally.

My son was mortified when he read the banner in the office saying " No Crack-- Front or Back....policy will be enforced." I guess they had a problem with saggy pants, whale tails and clevage?
Haha on the saying. I am fine with dress codes that's why he didn't have a mohawk last year like he wanted and had to wait until the summer but I hate uniforms
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
It sucks that they did not give you notice. I personally LOVE uniforms. I bought my ds 5 polo shirts, 5 pairs of shorts, and he will get 5 pairs of pants when it gets cooler, and one pair of shoes. Not only is it cost effective, but you never have to worry about what they are going to wear or anyone making fun of their choices.
But I don't have the funds that's like 200 in clothes right now and my son is rough on Khakis and doesn't wear shorts either and is always tearing the knees I bought used through out the summer because I have fours kids and to save money. they gave me tons of info on the school while he was still in fifth they couldn't have added a sheet of paper with the uniform on it conciedering his school he was in doesn't have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
Is it just a dress code, or do they have to wear uniforms? Every school I've ever gone to has had a dress code, so that's nothing new... but it would suck to buy all new school clothes, only to find out your kids need a uniform. They should have sent a letter or something if they're required to wear uniforms.

DS1's school is private, and they have a strict dress code that requires very specific uniforms... all parents know about it upon registering their child, but we also receive a handbook at registration that goes into detail about the uniform rules.
Uniform. we haven't gotten the handbook we will get it the first day of school since they are not having a meet the teacher find your lockers night either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
Because you might not rock it as well as I do
But I do know kids are brutal. Heck, even the BRAND of uniform makes a difference around here ... now you can buy unis from Justice, which is the "waaaay cool" place to get them. If you don't, you're out.

Personally, I'd love to see the dress code extend into middle school. Like wow to the cracks in front and back, and why does a 12 y/o need to wear shirts with questionable slogans anyhow, I ask? Crazy.

To the OP, they totally should have let you know sooner, but if you can return some stuff or swing the cost, you could look at it as a blessing in disguise?
Kids know uniform or not it doesn't do any good. and ticks me off to be told what kind of coat sweaters and pants and under shirts and socks to buy my child. I just can't afford the pricier brands and buy only a couple pieces I am a buying last minute now so I can't wait for sales where if I knew back in march when they sent info home I could have watched sales then. It just sucks. He's getting walmart next pay check because it was buy uniforms of feed him this week and I choose to feed my kids.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #29
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Generally it is just ISS til you get there. They can't have kids sitting on the office for half an hour.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmom2boyz View Post
Is this a public school? That does seem strict. If is a leadership magnet, it makes sense.

I'd call the school tomorrow and ask if there is a voucher system. Typically when schools start a uniform/dress code (strict); they have a year of transition. This was not part of their policy last school year?

One year I worked at a public school (inner city; one of the poorest cities for chidren), and we could only wear black and white clothing.

I have a son entering kinder and I was going to buy him a few school t-shirts. It would certainly help in the wardrobe department.
Public school, only about half the schools in the district have a policy like this and the other half doesn't it's not old but at least 3 years old. DS k-5 school is in the same district and didn't have a uniform code just a standard dress code. It's weird it's like there are mini district's with in the main district's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I don't understand the 5min rule How can they possibly enforce such an unreasonable policy? Are you sure it isn't just he has to sit in ISS until you get there?

Book bags had rules when I went to school. By the time I was in Jr high you had to have clear ones or none at all, so they could see what you were carrying; from k-12.

Sock rules sound ridiculous.

ETA: In another thread someone mentioned not understanding why some places only allow clothes from particular stores. I imagine the making fun of thing mentioned here may play a part in that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
I don't know why the five minute rule to be honest maybe because parents would take all day and maybe sit in iss until the parent gets there but it's stupid to me I mean as it is each class is only 20 minutes long how much are they going to learn sitting in iss because there sock had a logo on it or what ever. It's crazy to me.

But then again I have always hated uniforms for children and thought them stupid.