Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #31
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Ticked at the middle school

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Generally it is just ISS til you get there. They can't have kids sitting on the office for half an hour.
Because sitting in class learning makes less sense I really don't get it.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely see if there is a clothing swap or vouchers, etc. That is a lot $$$ for parents; especially if they didn't inform you.

ISS for uniform violation?!!?!

Edit to add: ISS for a uniform violation is nuts--on the schools end. They need to be IN CLASS. Middle school..... One more year and then we hit high school.

Last edited by debmom2boyz; 07-30-2012 at 04:09 PM.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am such a meanie I wouldn't buy it if they didn't tell ya. Let them try and send my DD to ISS for that, without being told! Come on! Though my attitude towards schools stink right now. After the hell I went through last year I am so over it. If DD doesn't get into the district I want, I will just cry.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #34
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our5boys View Post
I really think they should have let you know sooner.

We just got letters today (yes since we have two students in middle school they insist on sending two of the same letter in the same envelope nonthe less...I hate extra papers and even signed up for email updates from the school instead ) that this is the new dress code. Has been the same for two years but they are trying to make it have a slogan and everything and the new principal is going to enforce the dress code finally.

My son was mortified when he read the banner in the office saying " No Crack-- Front or Back....policy will be enforced." I guess they had a problem with saggy pants, whale tails and clevage?
As a teacher I adore this slogan! I mean I truly love it. I know many of you are against uniforms but as a teacher it is so much easier to enforce a uniform than to be objective about a dress code. The same outfit can be appropriate on one person and entirely inappropriate on another. The uniform, while it isn't perfect, does help to eliminate some of that and allows the teachers to focus on teaching rather than dress. I have spent the last 4 years in a school where at least 1/4 of every class period was on dress b/c there was little clarity and a lot of subjectivity. Had we had uniforms, it would have been MUCH easier.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charise820 View Post
I'm honestly not trying to be ugly, just coming at this from a teacher's/schools point of view. ETA: This is a topic that burns me up b/c it makes my job ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE.

If as kid has to sit in ISS b/c his parent, who is charged with teaching him to follow the rule of the school REFUSES to purchase him/acquire for him the appropriate attire that obeys the school rules, then maybe the parent will get so upset that the kid isn't getting to take advantage of his educational opportunities that the parent will choose to make the kid obey the rules.

It is SO INCREDIBLY HARD to teach middle and high school (I have done both) because parents think they are above the rules of the school. I'm sorry but if I told my boss I thought his dress code/other rules were stupid or I couldn't follow them for XYZ reason, I wouldn't have a job. Unfortunately, we can't kick kids out of school (easily) for not following the rules. They think if their mommy or daddy complains enough they will get away with what they want to get away with. And its working. Mommy complains, most schools give in (at least in my experience). The kids aren't learning any lessons and when they go out into the real world they're shocked that their complaints do not get them their way!!!

Okay sorry, rant over. OP I agree that you should have been informed via mail, email, or phone call well in advance to the start of the school year about the changes to the dress code. I'm sorry you were not. However, please accept these changes for what they are: the educators at your child's school doing everything they can to ensure that your kid has the best learning environment and every opportunity possibly to reach his full academic potential.

Last edited by Lanasmom; 07-30-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Lanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #36
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
I am such a meanie I wouldn't buy it if they didn't tell ya. Let them try and send my DD to ISS for that, without being told! Come on! Though my attitude towards schools stink right now. After the hell I went through last year I am so over it. If DD doesn't get into the district I want, I will just cry.
But wouldn't that just punish your DD? She would be sent to ISS, whether you like the policy or not, simply because you refused to follow the dress code. Of course, the school should have sent out information about the new uniform requirements... I agree with you there. But once you find out, you should follow the rules.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #37
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
How can you make fun of a shirt of it is the same exact one you are wearing?
It doesn't matter. They will make fun of your hair, your nose, your weight, whatever. I personally don't like uniforms and think it solves nothing, just takes away from creativity and self expression.

Reading through the responses, I see my view may not be popular. I also think it is harder for families financially because I know we used to not make much $ and I was so happy for Garage sales where I could get my kids cute clothes for not much money.

Last edited by Vivhop98; 07-30-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #38
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

The only reason I like uniforms is that it makes it so easy to dress my son when I'm not fully awake in the morning. And he can pick his clothes after school. Best of both worlds.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #39
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charise820 View Post
Because it is not fair to the other 29 kids in the class who know how to follow the rules and aren't creating a disturbance by not following dress code.

Indianapolis Public Schools suspends kids after the second uniform violation and they can't come back til the parents meet with the administration. If you can't follow the rules, you can't come to school.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-30-2012 at 08:36 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #40
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanasmom View Post
I'm honestly not trying to be ugly, just coming at this from a teacher's/schools point of view. ETA: This is a topic that burns me up b/c it makes my job ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE.

If as kid has to sit in ISS b/c his parent, who is charged with teaching him to follow the rule of the school REFUSES to purchase him/acquire for him the appropriate attire that obeys the school rules, then maybe the parent will get so upset that the kid isn't getting to take advantage of his educational opportunities that the parent will choose to make the kid obey the rules.

It is SO INCREDIBLY HARD to teach middle and high school (I have done both) because parents think they are above the rules of the school. I'm sorry but if I told my boss I thought his dress code/other rules were stupid or I couldn't follow them for XYZ reason, I wouldn't have a job. Unfortunately, we can't kick kids out of school (easily) for not following the rules. They think if their mommy or daddy complains enough they will get away with what they want to get away with. And its working. Mommy complains, most schools give in (at least in my experience). The kids aren't learning any lessons and when they go out into the real world their shocked that their complaints do not get them their way!!!

Okay sorry, rant over. OP I agree that you should have been informed via mail, email, or phone call well in advance to the start of the school year about the changes to the dress code. I'm sorry you were not. However, please accept these changes for what they are: the educators at your child's school doing everything they can to ensure that your kid has the best learning environment and every opportunity possibly to reach his full academic potential.

I agree with this 100%. OP they should have given more notice. Schools are trying to overcome so many problems that boil down to poor parenting that I think that they deserve support.