Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Poison Ivy and Pregnancy

Hi mamas, so with my third baby I got poison ivy, oak, or sumac and it was horrible! I had it everywhere! My face swelled and I was miserable! I tried to suck it up and do oatmeal baths and itch creams. After a week and a half and no improvement I went to the ER. They prescribed steroids and it took me another 5 days to start them because of possible effects on baby(cleft palate and stillborn) although they are more likely with heavy doses and prolonged use. The steriods were a 6 day course with lower doses everyday. It helped a lot and I recovered quickly! Baby was fine
Well here I am pregnant again with poison ivy, oak, or sumac I know what ivy looks like and avoid it but the others confuse me. I get it from my back yard. We had to clear some weeds and overgrown brush. I was covered except for my arms(stupid I know, but it was Hot). So that's where it started, my arms. Now its spreading to my chest, breasts, stomach, back, and legs. Apparently it gets in my blood stream and spreads. I did not go out there naked, lol! I think my allergies are 100 times worse during pregnancy!
So my question is, have you experienced this and do you have any suggestions for relief. I've tried baking soda, itch cream(works but wears off), I try to not scratch, I've taken benedryl at night to help with itching and in hopes it will help with spreading. My husband got it bad too. But his is about cleared up and mine is the same and spreading I really don't want to do the steroids again. Any ideas?

mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote