Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Membrane Sweep?

Would you (or have you) had one done?

With my first child I said absolutely not, I did not want to do anything to help things along unless medically necessary. It didn't end up being an option, as he arrived 10 days early (my water broke at home on its own).

With this one, I am less sure. I am hoping to go into labor on my own, obviously (and very soon! haha). But there are more considerations this time around.

I had an appointment yesterday (38w3d) and my doctor said that at my next appointment, I could have her do a sweep if I wanted her to. She's not being pushy about it or anything, and said it was entirely up to me. I will be 39w3d that day (next Friday).

I would really, really love to go into labor by next weekend. I am due the following Tuesday. I know a sweep doesn't guarantee anything, but it's something that could help.

The thing that sucks? My doctor has to go out of town two days after my due date. I really, really want her to be the one that delivers. Her partner is fine and everything, but we have a close relationship with our doctor at this point (one of the reasons I decided for sure not to have a home birth) and I'd be really sad if she wasn't there. She delivered our son and is our family doctor.

Just curious what you all would do in this situation. If you had your membranes stripped, did it do anything for you? Are there any major reasons, at that point, NOT to do one?

Advertisement

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 07-28-2012 at 11:39 AM.
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd do some research if you haven't already. I don't feel it's necessary, my understanding is it can cause infection. I had it done with my first ( because I didn't know the possible dangers) and it was uncomfortable and did nothing. Personally, I would let nature do the work, or try something less invasive.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would pass, I had it done with my first and it did start contractions, but I was induced anyways.

My friend had it done with her second and she had contractions, but then not much else. She had the first one naturally, but had to get pitocin for the second one.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
zak
Registered Users
seller

Re: Membrane Sweep?

I have had it offered every time and always pass. I am too worried about them accidentally breaking my water. Laboring without that cushion unnecessarily would stink (at least it has/does for me once my water breaks the babe is coming out!! lol).
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have always passed too. Sitting here overdue by a few days I have been thinking about it and I just can't see a good reason to do it. Seems like unnecessary pain to mom and baby won't come if it's it ready anyway. Just my $.02
Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the others. You risk giving yourself contractions but no real labor. Heard the birth story recently of a mom who had her membranes stripped near her DD. Baby was not in a good position but she started having contractions for 3 days that wore her out until she got an epidural. Eventually she had a c-section. I couldn't help but wonder if she had let labor start on it's own and check the position of the baby if she would have had a vaginal birth.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
bezbabe
Registered Users
seller

apparently i'm in the minority here but i've had it done with all my pregnancies and i'll definitely have it done again this time. i've had 3 full-term pregnancies so far; of those, twice my water broke before my due date and i had to be induced (once medically, once naturally) and the middle one went all the way up to my due date when i started labour on my own. the only time i can say it for sure made a difference was with my last one. my water broke 2 days after the midwife swept me at 37wks4days although i also take a lot of supplements to ripen my cervix etc so those probably helped too. anyways, i've laboured both with water in and water out and the one where my water did not break until she was born was the hardest labour anyways so i don't really care if my water breaks because of it. at least i get a baby either way...lol...
Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had it done w/DD3 at 38w3d and I went into labor 2 days later. I had it done again w/DD4 at 38w3d and nothing. A week later I had it done again and nothing. DD4 was born on her due date and we found out the placenta was infected and the fluid had a def odor to it. It was likely from having my membranes stripped. I'm super glad that my DD was ok but I ended up with a bladder inf that put me in the hosp for a few days. Pros and cons to it. Just weigh them and decide!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak View Post
I have had it offered every time and always pass. I am too worried about them accidentally breaking my water. Laboring without that cushion unnecessarily would stink (at least it has/does for me once my water breaks the babe is coming out!! lol).
It does stink! My water broke before labor started and my contractions were on top of eachother with what felt like no break. It was awful!

OP- I had a sweep (well, I'm not sure if the MW really did it or not to be honest) around 38ish weeks and it did nothing. I think I was around 2cm at that point. The following week my bp was on the higher side and I was 4cm and almost entirely thinned out. She (and I quote) "stripped the hell out of me!" and it hurt like crazy! I tried crawling off the table. I was then sent over for monitoring due to my BP. That was a Friday and my water broke Sunday night.

I would be willing to get a sweep again, but mainly due to DF's work schedule. If baby is ready to come on the earlier end of term we really need him too.

IMO a sweep won't do much if your body and baby aren't ready. There are some risks so def. do your homework and I'd personally want to have a valid reason for wanting it done, other than being uncomfortable. Good luck mama!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it done and went into labor the next night. Normally, I would not have had it done but I was facing a "deadline" since I was trying for a VBAC and the OB only wanted me to go a week overdue. (I was only a couple of days "late" and did get my VBAC.)