Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
veggieheart
Registered Users

TTC and Insurance

Background: I left my job (with health coverage) I hated in February and found one I LOVE in April (without health coverage). I'm searching for health insurance that covers maternity. I can't find ANYTHING!!! I'm a little overwhelmed. I went on a chat and I was told they didn't have anything with maternity in my region: Houston, Texas.
I want a baby yesterday but don't know how I would cover medical bills if I can't find anything.
I don't want to use government assistance if I don't need to and honestly do not think I qualify. Advice?

Advertisement

veggieheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: TTC and Insurance

I found this:
http://www.instexas.com/ and here is their maternity blog:
http://maternityplans.blogspot.com/

Are you willing to use a Midwife? 100% out of pocket, my Midwife charges $5,000 from start to finish (though labs and ultrasounds aren't included). That price is for a homebirth or delivering at her birth center. That's a LOT cheaper than the out of pocket cost for hospital births here. At LEAST 50% less. You could probably negotiate a lower price if you pay cash too and if you find some sort of ins they might cover part of it. I have insanely good health ins and could have an almost free hospital birth but I truly prefer the care and intimacy of a Midwife. I can honestly say I have loved each labor and delivery. I wish I were more help on the ins front but I definitely encourage you to talk to a Midwife.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Kap7270
Registered Users

Counting on the lower cost of a midwife would make me nervous. What if something goes wrong and you have to be transferred to a hospital? You could be stuck with a big bill that you weren't expecting. Not that I think there's anything wrong with midwives, but I would be worried about depending on the lower bill.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
abhernandez
Registered Users

I second that. I think you def need insurance just in case you have to be transferred. As for exact plans... I've got no advice as I don't live in the US. But I do think it's great that you're doing this before... I had a few friends get upset when they couldn't just enroll in insurance plans once they were already pregnant. On what planet would an insurance company allow that? Gah.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, she asked for advice and I gave the most helpful response I could. Notice I included links with information too. I would think she could get catastrophic ins too but other than that if she has no options, what should she do? Birth is inherently safe and most Midwives have a very low percentage of hospital transfers.

Last edited by el's mama; 08-02-2012 at 03:21 AM.
el's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can't you get a 1 year policy down there? Your not pregnant yet and I can't imagine that there are no policies that cover maternity.

Last year we wanted stop gap coverage and we couldn't get cobra (DH's former employer went out of business and when that happens you can't get cobra) and we looked for temporary insurance. I believe NJ was the only state that didn't have it, though I could be wrong. So we went without. It wasn't fun but I am still alive.

However because your basically looking for a longer term solution, I would think that you could do a 1 year policy. Even if your to get pregnant tomorrow, you would still need early baby care for a few months so a year might be worth it.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Kap7270
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama View Post
Well, she asked for advice and I gave the most helpful response I could. Notice I included links with information too. I would think she could get catastrophic ins too but other than that if she has no options, what should she do? Birth is inherently safe and most Midwives have a very low percentage of hospital transfers.
Sorry if you felt my response was a personal attack. It certainly was not intended that way.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
veggieheart
Registered Users

Thank you ladies for your advice. Unfortunately I searched and searched high and low and there is indeed NO maternity insurance in Texas. It's upsetting because I feel like I am being punished for waiting until I felt I was a little ready. I am highly considering a midwife but will do a lot of research. I live REALLY close to a hospital if anything went wrong and they are FANTASTIC. I've never been at this ER more than an hour either as a patient or someone accompanying a patient.
veggieheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to say you could get a Health Savings Account. You put money pretax into the account. It would make it a little cheaper for you to save.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote