Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie
The thing is the disposables are not free though. You are paying for them if they get opened. So if they open the package and put that first diaper on you might as well use them since they are yours at that point.
Yup. A friend of ours asked for an itemized bill of get hospital stay. They charged her $20 for each disposible diaper they used. I was blown away.

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

We use disposables at the hospital. Everything is covered my insurance. This go round... I guess it depends on how well the diapers fit with the cord. We used them til the cord fell off with our first.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: In the hospital...

At my hospital they really are free. Or rather they are included in the room and board charge, whether you actually use them or not. Just like the little pink and blue hats and the striped receiving blankets, etc. The hospital also offers a free BF support group, once a week, staffed by one or two of the hospital's three IBCLCs, and the swaddlers available at the BF group are also all free (along with the snacks and they often give a substantial amount of BF supplies, like sposie nursing pads, Lansinoh, etc)
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
camo_diapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my second DD we did cloth in the hospital and it was a pain in the rear. It meant having to wash diapers when we got home, not too big of a deal because DD1 was in diapers too at that time. But I was so worried I would forget one at the hospital. Also I noticed that her cord stayed moist, so it was a bit stinky. With child #3, I did sposies for the first 2 weeks. Then moved to cloth.
With child #4, (same due date as you ) I'm planing on using both cloth and sposies. I think 1 pack of NB diapers should get my through. The first thing on her butt will be a sposie, I don't want to deal with the tar poop. But the way I have been forgetful, I will probably forget to buy the sposies, and she will be in cloth from the start anyways.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

It really depends on what you want to do. Based on principle and why we cloth diaper (mostly environmental reasons), I started with cloth from day one, and brought all my nb diapers to the hospital with me, even though they did provide disposables. The nurses didn't really care, other than one told me that the meconium would stain the diapers; it didn't
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used cloth from birth with my son. We had a week long nicu stay and used cloth the entire time. I wouldn't say it's any more difficult. My husband would run the diapers home and wash them and then bring them back. My boy is almost 21 months old (where has the time gone??) and has never once been in a disposable. We did go the cheap route and had mostly prefolds and covers for the newbie stage, which to be honest if I had known he was going to be in nicu I would have spent more and just done aio's. I have prepared this time with having more aio's just in case. Also, the meconium poop is NOT as bad as what people think. It washed clean every single time for us.
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote